Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone good with nostart / wiring?

No BS
    Owner Since
    Sorry if you care, I could be lying anyway!

Thanks

Unhappy Anyone good with nostart / wiring?

My 94 NA has always had an intermittent starting issue, but now it is constant.

I thought it was the starter going bad, but I replaced it and it still didn't start, so I tried a new ignition switch and it still didn't start. The transmission lockout sounds sick, buzzing and groaning, but still functions at the gear shifter. A "mechanic" told me that the trans lockout can't cause a nostart, it can only affect the shifter lock, but when I turn the key the lockout buzzes but NOSTART! (No click, no crank, no noticeable battery draw just a buzz from the lockout)

Dave

91 Stealth TT- Pampena Stage 2 short block, rebuilt heads, Solid mounts, MBC, Vac reduc, hotwired, Blitz FATT, 4.5" FIPK, TurboXS BOV, Stainless Downpipe, Race pipe, Borla exhaust, AHDS, 500 lb clutch, JDM 25 spline 5 spd/tcase, Short Shifter, EVO leather knob, 18" Mazdaspeed wheels, Front Splitter, in dash touch screen bluetooth/navigation/DVD...

94 3000GT DOHC - Nitrous express proton series w/ upgraded solenoids, dash mounted datalogger, in dash touch screen navi w/bluetooth, IPT end clutch, high performance trans cooler, Translab shift kit. SOLD

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Did you happen to check that you're getting power to the starter relay?
    '92 Dodge Stealth RT/TT - Aug. 2012 COTM

Formerly OwnGTP/WantRTTT
    Owner Since
    April 2004

Thanks
    Hmmm . . . underneath the airfilter/MAF there's a single wire with a connector, that's your starter solenoid wire and it OFTEN corrodes beyond function. I had the same problem last year. Random non-starting issues and nothing would happen, no click, no crank, no nothing. Pulled that connector apart and it looked like it was covered in peanut butter. Replaced the connector with a new spade/butt connector (covered them in dielectric to prevent this again) and haven't had the same problem again.
    Tony M.
    2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland - There's Only One.
    1995 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo - Gone but not forgotten . . .
    “The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the presidency. It will be easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails us. Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president.” -- Author Unknown

No BS
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Well, I will check.... I thought the solenoid was part of the starter assy, but I will definitely check that connector tonight... As for the relay, there is no starter relay...

Formerly OwnGTP/WantRTTT
    Owner Since
    April 2004

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hotGTO View Post
    Well, I will check.... I thought the solenoid was part of the starter assy, but I will definitely check that connector tonight... As for the relay, there is no starter relay...
    The solenoid is mounted to the starter, the wire I'm referring to is the lead for that solenoid (gives the signal from the ignition switch that says, "OK starter, let's crank this engine over"). It's a black, single wire connector, should be right under the air filter/MAF assembly.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyM For This Useful Post:

No BS
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Ok... thanks!

No BS
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    The solenoid is mounted to the starter, the wire I'm referring to is the lead for that solenoid (gives the signal from the ignition switch that says, "OK starter, let's crank this engine over"). It's a black, single wire connector, should be right under the air filter/MAF assembly.
    That was EXACTLY the problem... I looked under the MAF and low-n-behold there was a connector that was unplugged!! The retaining clip was broken and probably loose since I bought it and finally came all the way unplugged... I secured the connector together with a zip-tie, and "Vroom vroom party starter!" MANY MANY THANKS!

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks
    strange how i didn't suggest this....its normally the first thing i suggest checking.

glad its sorted mate.
    3si is dead long live 3sgto.org

Formerly OwnGTP/WantRTTT
    Owner Since
    April 2004

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hotGTO View Post
    That was EXACTLY the problem... I looked under the MAF and low-n-behold there was a connector that was unplugged!! The retaining clip was broken and probably loose since I bought it and finally came all the way unplugged... I secured the connector together with a zip-tie, and "Vroom vroom party starter!" MANY MANY THANKS!
    Glad it worked out for ya. Keep an eye on that connector in the future, this time it was loose but it could corrode heavily in the future.

Happy motoring!

No BS
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by colt45 gto View Post
    strange how i didn't suggest this....its normally the first thing i suggest checking.

glad its sorted mate.
    Haha!... you always try to help, Thanks for all your help. Is that wide-body yellow 3000GT in your sig the one that had the superman emblem that has been painted white now and was up for sale a while ago with a dispute over the description of the body kit? I think that's the widest 3s in history!