Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter tires?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks

Winter tires?

Ever heard of these?

http://www.nokiantires.com/

Lookin for a good snow tire for the VR$...

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    '92 Dodge Stealth RT/TT - Aug. 2012 COTM

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    what about blizzaks? anyone run these?

Stealth owner since '91
    Owner Since

Thanks
    what about blizzaks? anyone run these?
    I had them on my NA. They rule! The ES is a tank in the snow!
    Slightly squishier than summer tires but that's to be expected with a snow tire anyway. Other than that they're not bad in the rain or dry roads and reasonably quiet as well.
    I don't drive the TT in the snow so I can't offer any opinion on how they handle in AWD mode...

Senior (i.e. OLD) Member :) verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have Continental tires on the Stealth (which had very good reviews for winter operation) and have been VERY impressed with them.

BONUS, I have over 50K on them and they still have PLENTY of tread life on them (they are ALL SEASON tires...)

Bob.
    95 Caracus Red Spyder VR4 (sold 6/12/21 )
    Cianci FG Viper Hood/Aerocatch Pins
    Quad Carbon Fiber Tipped Borla Catback
    Stock 18" 6 Spoke Chromies
    K&N FIPK
    Indiglo Gauges
    JimVR4's Remote Start/Top Op Computer

92 Wheat Beige Metallic Stealth TT (sold 6/14/20 )

OhioSpyderman Short Shifter (in both!!!)
    SBC-iD Boost Controller (in both!!!)

Oldest son - 94 Danube Blue VR4 (sold 10/19)
    Middle son - 93 Panama Green VR4

Nokian tires are VERY good for the winter season. I had blizzaks a few years ago and although tire technology has moved on since then I feel the Nokians I'm running now are quite a bit better. I also had very good results switching to a slightly narrower tire, I run 225's on the stock chromies and the car feels great. Very predictable, even on ice.

Stealth owner since '91
    Owner Since

Thanks
    (they are ALL SEASON tires...)
    I hate to disagree with my esteemed colleague but I can't recommend any All Season tire to anyone that expects to be driving in more than a little bit of snow. (I assume MN gets a bit of snow?) The difference between a "No Season" tire and a snow tire is astounding...

Which reminds me of a bad joke...
    Two priests get killed in a car accident. When they get to the Pearly Gates Saint Peter looks up in surprise and says "Father Murphy! Father O'Brien! What are you doing here?"
    After explaining about the horrible crash and the lovely funeral Saint Peter explains that he wasn't expecting them and that they'll have to go back until there rooms are ready.
    "We can't send you back in your old identities though, people have already been to the funeral. Tell you what, I'll send you back as anything else you want to be. What can I send you back as?"
    Father Murphy thinks for a bit then says "You know, I've always admired eagles, they way the soar through the sky. Can I be an eagle?" "Sure" says Peter, and I know just the spot for you!" Poof! Father Murphy's gone. "Now, Father O'Brien? What can I send you back as?" Father O'Brien thinks for a bit then says "Saint Peter, I've spent my life in chastity and poverty. Just this once I'd like to try something different. If its alright I'd like to be a Stud."
    "A Stud?!?"
    "Well, you did say anything"
    "Well, I guess I did. Off with you then"
    Poof! Father O'Brien's gone.

A couple of months later Peter looks at his clipboard and calls one of the angles over.
    "I have a couple of pick ups for you. The first one's easy. Father Murphy, he's an eagle soaring over the Grand Canyon. You'll find him in no time"
    "Father O'Brien's going to be harder, He's on a snow tire somewhere in Vermont... "

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The Nokians sound like a great tire but im not sure if Im ready to fork over $220 per tire and I hear the Blizzaks have a horrible tread life. Mabey the Good Year eagle GT might be a good middle man with a tread wear of 400,$145 per tire,z rated and all-season capabilites. It would be nice not having to switch out tires every six months.
    93 vr4/87 Iroc-z

Stealth owner since '91
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I hear the Blizzaks have a horrible tread life.
    Warm weather does chew them up. They'll last longer if you swap them out in the spring.
    The up front cost of two sets of tires is a bitter pill but you'll get nearly twice the mileage, plus have the enjoyment of having the right tire for the job. Not pushing the Blizzaks in particular but since moving to NH I've gone with a summer/winter tire setup and I gotta say, there's no comparison. No "all season" tire really works in the snow, not like a real winter tire, nor does any "all season" tire handle like a performance tire. If its in the budget I don't think you'll regret it.
    That's my 2 pennies..

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Mabey your right I do already have two sets of summer tires for the vr4. I did the whole winter/summer thing with my subaru svx, just got old swapping tires on the camaro for street and strip then the svx for spring/summer. I should get a four winters with the blizzaks right? Everyone has helped with somegood ideas for winter tires now I just need to weigh the options...what to do what to do...