Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Sub Enclosure - Lots of Pics

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0 Silver's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Custom Sub Enclosure - Lots of Pics

When i bought my 3000gti already had 2 MTX 12's and a box from my Jimmy. Well 4 years down the road i got more and more sick of seeing this huge box in my back hatch and no room at all in my hatch for anything other than 2 skateboards. (Ive been skating for 18 years now and its fun to do when my buddy comes back from the army.) SO i decided to build a box for my subs using some ideas from Ictponder/Isaac. This is my progress towards a box that doesnt take up all my hatch and actually fits in the rear of my 3S.

Before:
    The first day i got my car.

Progress:

I took the idea to have the back of the box follow the natural curve of the rear seats.

This was the basic idea of the box but then i found that the rear seats could not go up once the subs were mounted. I then cut the front faceplate down so the box sat lower. I also shaved the top plate on the sides so that it too would fit lower in the car.

After shaving the plates to the right size i made the bottom of the box, put the subs in and checked the depth from the subs and the rear seats. i have about a 1/2-3/4 inch clearance which is good enough for me lol.

Once the sides were made (which was a major pain in my a** I took it all apart and wood glued each piece. I couldn't do this before because of the way the box sat it was easier to assemble in the car as it was.

Now came the fun part ... -_- I got on the phone with Steve/2fnloud who has some major audio background and told him that although im a perfectionist there were still some tiny gaps that i was concerned about. I did fill some of the gaps with a wood glue/saw dust mixture but i wanted to make sure that it would be airtight and still hold together. Steve gave me the idea to resin and fiberglass the joints and gaps to seal and solidify the box.

Well this was my first time fiber glassing... but i think i did a pretty decent job. And for the heck of it i resined most of the joints on the outside to be even more sure it was sealed.

Now to just sand... sand... sand... mount the subs and terminals and carpet this beast.

[3SX Test-Pipe to Flow-master Delta 40 Series Custom Exhaust// 99' Lifters // Cold-Air Intake // MB Wheels 5X]

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    subbed, pun intended.

Monogamous Gigolo verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) 2fnloud's Avatar
    Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    don't worry about sanding the inside, from what I am seeing there isn't much sanding to be done on the outside.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0 SUTHNR's Avatar
    Owner Since
    March 1996

Thanks
    That seems like a very little box for a pair of 12's. I wonder if a rear-facing port would help you get more bass out of the setup...? I have a pair of tens in mine in a similar sized box and have a rear-facing port and can get ridiculous bass from it, though mine does nuzzle up against the hatch when closed and creates a band-pass-like configuration.

EricB

Eric "SUTHNR" Bowden's Garage
    * 1993 Dodge Stealth R/T - NG09 & NG14 Best All-Round 3S TWICE!! - NA POWA!!
    The 222 HP Stereo... The MOST modified slowest naturally aspirated FWD Stealth out there.
    * 2008 Toyota Tundra Pick'm'up Truck
    Mods: Right Foot FTW!
    * 2010 Toyota Corolla
    Mods: The Wife FTW!
    * My stereo site lives here: The 222 HP Stereo...
    * My personal venture:

Edgy Elegance Photography - Weddings, Home Sales, Automotive, etc!

* I love taking and creating Panorama Pictures: Check out my Panorama Gallery
    * The 3000GT/Stealth Collectibles Site: Ultimate 3S Collectibles Archive
    * Visit 3SX for record setting parts at www.3SX.com

NG10 Pics LOADED!

3SX 1/4 Mile Times
    3SX T2 FWD 3S 10.19 @ 140.31
    3SX T4 AWD 3S 9.214 @ 154.98
    Also T4 AWD 3S 9.339 @ 159.23

3SX twitter | 3SX FaceBook

Owner Since

Thanks
    Well i finished the main part of the box last night, Cutting holes for the posts and drilling the holes for the subs themselves. I also sanded the extra resin off of the outside of the box and fixed where the sides of the actual box protrude the front of it. Ill be mounting a facia (face-cha) to the front of the box to fill in where the angles are when i carpet it.

Dont mind the ghetto wiring i was in a hurry to test it out. It was getting pretty late and cold lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SUTHNR View Post
    That seems like a very little box for a pair of 12's. I wonder if a rear-facing port would help you get more bass out of the setup...? I have a pair of tens in mine in a similar sized box and have a rear-facing port and can get ridiculous bass from it, though mine does nuzzle up against the hatch when closed and creates a band-pass-like configuration.

EricB
    You know i was worried about how small the box was compared to my original box. It was probably about twice the size of this box. Interestingly that box was not ported so i decided not to port this one. To be completely honest this box hits alot sharper than my original box and is VERY noticible. It might not be as deep as the original box but its almost such a small difference i honestly cant be sure. Its still loud enough to rattle my rear view mirror off the holder on the windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by 2fnloud View Post
    don't worry about sanding the inside, from what I am seeing there isn't much sanding to be done on the outside.
    For sanding the inside all i did really was sand all of the loose fibers out of the box. It just seemed like a good idea.

Owner Since

Thanks
    So i finally got the box carpeted. I took a pic of the terminals used as well.

Dont mind the seem on the bottomw of the back.. u cant see it anyways when its in the car lol.

Monogamous Gigolo verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) 2fnloud's Avatar
    Owner Since
    October 2009

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Pics in the car...meow!

Forum User Feedback Score 2 (100%) fullracegt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    oct.2007...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fnloud View Post
    Pics in the car...meow!

yes! rite meow! lol

Owner Since

Thanks
    Ok heres in the car

Im pretty happy with the results

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) DK77's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Love it!
    1995 Dodge Stealth R/T Turbo
    Mods: DR750s, BC Sportsman rods, Ross pistons, ACT HD 6 puck clutch, 5 speed transmission, 300M output shaft, Broomfield racing billet transfer case housings, Spectre air filter, GM 3.75" MAF w/translator, DN Pre-turbo pipes, Pampena/CX Racing dual core FMIC, M2 Performance turbo-back exhaust, Walbro 450lph E85 pump, SXPerformance fuel filter, stainless fuel feed lines, EK2 Mfg fuel rails, SXPerformance AFPR, 1000cc Bosch injectors, 99 VR4 replica ECU w/ Chrome for tuning, Kenne Bell Boost-a-Spark, Blitz SBC i-D boost controller, IPS oil cooler, Intrax springs on KYB GR2 struts, Enkei Kojin 18X9.5 +30, Nexen N3000s, 99 front end, carbon fiber steering wheel, Pioneer AVH-X2600BT, JL C2 6.5" and 6"x9" speakers, free 4 channel amp for subs (LOL), twin Alpine 10" type E subs.

Made 608whp/631wtrq on Pampena's dyno @ 31 psi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast