Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 16g tt fwd

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks

16g tt fwd

Hi everyone, names Jakob and I'm new to the forum. This is one of my first posts, so I hope it will be interesting, and hope I don't break any rules! 😅 So to start off, I bought my 99 sl a few years ago. Got the mod bug, and started getting into it pretty deep! I had ordered obx-r long tube headers(which were interesting to install to say the least), custom made a 2.5in test pipe, bought a borla tt catback exhaust, ram air intake, gc coilover sleeves, and white dr 31s. The car was just a blast to drive, even though it wasn't the fastest thing out there, it looked good being slow! Well, I've saved up a ton of money, and well, kinda splurged.
    I found a great deal on a 92 vr4 engine I couldn't pass up. $300 for a long block! Now, I knew it was way too good to be true, I'm not too dumb, but what the hell. So I drove a couple hours to pick it up. I loaded it in the back of my moms Tahoe, (lol) and saw the dude had like a whole front clip in his garage. (Minus the body) I asked him what he was doing with the rest of it, and he said I could have it! So I got-
    Long block
    W5mg1 trans
    T-case
    Turbos
    Down pipe
    Intercoolers+piping
    Radiator
    Injectors
    Front struts, knuckles, and Tien lowering springs
    And some other ransoms, for $300! Not bad I would say.
    Well I knew something was up because of the price, turns out it was a spun bearing... Classic!!
    So.... I decided to build a fwd monster!
    I've since bought-
    .60 mahle pistons
    3sx rods
    A forged crank( deals! I got 5% over cost threw my work!!)
    Arp main studs( had to return because they were made wrong, but now I can order a new set)
    Fidanza flywheel
    Spec stage 2+? Solid 6 puck clutch
    Block is almost done being machined, and it's balanced to 8400 rpm
    For the heads I got-
    BC springs and retainers
    Swirl polished s.s. valves
    Need to get my cams to delta for some 280s!
    Need to get cam gears! (Adjustable)
    I also got an ips 16g turbo kit(with oil and coolant feeds+returns)
    Delphi 760 cc injecters( I think, I bought them a few months back)
    Aeromotive 340 in tank fuel pump
    And an underhood fuel kit with fuel lab fpr and gauge.
    Hoping for around 600 whp!

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Ohh ya, I also got a 92 vr4 ecu with the bundle! But I still don't know if I will be using that

Man vs 3/S verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Hope you have some decent tires, You can fit 275's no problem on an n/a, maybe even wider with coil overs; you're gonna need them

The stage 2+ SPEC clutch is sprung and not a 6 puck, I believe the 4 and higher are the solid disks that may be what you have. Many people have had problems with SPEC clutches and their 3/S's, I personally have not, I raced 30k miles on my 2+ and currently have a 3+ in my FWD n/a and havent had problems but an extra 400hp may have something to do with failures people have.

Looks like you have a good build going, will be fun for sure.

Research research research. There is a lot of info out there on what is good and what is not, if you have specific questions ask here there are a lot of smart people in this community.
    93 R/T - Modded, Full Suspension, Full Exhaust, Quaife Diff, Turbo brakes, Alpine/Boston Sound One of 25
    98 VR-4 - Billet 13t's, Downpipe, Blitz EBC, Ohlins R/T coil overs, SCE center differential, SCE oil pan, Pampena braced trans, TEC Rear Strut Bar, Custom Front Strut Bar, Camber Arms, Alum Driveshaft, 2" Koyo, Maximal oil cooler, SAFC2, Defi Gauges, RC 550's, Supra Pump, Skillard Splitter, Hardpipes, XYZ 14" front brakes/Carbotech, 255 Dunlop Z2's, AMR 18x9's, Alpine/Infinity/JL Sound. One of 13

3SNG15 Best overall

"I explode 1 piece rotors" -- ABM --
    Runs 12's (12.98's!!!!!!)
    My Garage

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Thanks a lot R/T93! Ya I haven't looked too much into tires yet, although I know I'll need some nice wide ones haha. I have already converted my awd trans to fwd. so hopefully that will help some, and hold the powa!
    I do want to upgrade to full coilovers as well, but that will def. be down the road.
    One big question has been nagging me ever since I started the build though- I'm going obd2 to obd1, n/a to tt. How the heck does that work? And what engine management should I run??
    I've looked and researched, but not too many people from what I've compiled have done a 2g to 1g n/a to tt swap. And am I going to run the obd port? Lol I'm not worried about emissions too much, I registered it out of the testing zone already. Just want to know how to get everything swapped correctly.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    *also about the clutch, it is a solid disk. Just don't know the "spec" 😆
    Ya I read about the spec clutches, I had originally ordered a sprung disk, and 3sx recommended me to get a solid because of the springs sometimes " launching out" during a hard launch. I've had that happen before and it costed a trans. Not going through that again

Man vs 3/S verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yes the TT trans is pretty robust, even with 600 tq going through it there is little to worry about (especially since FWD).

I am not sure about the ECU issue but within the last 2 years a group of guys have released "flashable" ECU's with some pretty powerful tunability with the factory computers. Search, "Chromed" here and read that thread, it may be the way you want to go.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Thanks ill defiantly look into that more. I have read a few threads on them, pretty intense stuff haha.
    Ya I was over joyed that my awd trans worked without a hitch. Especially cause I got it for free! I don't think the guy knew what he had lol but he didn't have the car anymore so I did t feel too bad. Plus that makes up for the spun rod bearing I'm dealing with

There will be Blood! verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Holy crap!
    This will be a handful to drive. Without water/meth you will likely see around 500-525 whp on pump. 2nd the flash ecu with chrome. More than likely you will need a tt harness to get it happening.

Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Ya I've been looking for a harness for a while now. I found a few on the nationwide parts search, but none locally. I think the closest one is in California. I was also hoping to not have to rely on water/meth for these numbers, especially since ill have built heads.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I will go out in my garage later and take a butt load of pics of the parts I've compiled so far 😀