Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Screw your 6spd tranny....I found a way to make a free 7spd tranny for the 3S

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    -BOOSTTD- verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) mh3kgt's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Screw your 6spd tranny....I found a way to make a free 7spd tranny for the 3S

Ok no seriously, I dropped my trans this weekend for a tob swap and found the clutch springs everywhere, so I put in a used centerforce I had laying around and bolted everything back up. Went to start the car and everything is normal. Throw it in reverse and back up off of the lift and when I put the car in 1st gear to take off out of the shop, the car rolls forward like usual but I have to give it more gas than usual to get it rolling.

Hmm feels weird I thought to myself, but here comes the weird part, upon releasing the clutch pedal I have to FLOOR the gas to keep it running and it bogs and jerks like crazy. The car is obviously in 3rd gear or something somehow because when I finally do get the momentum to keep the car rolling I can easily do 40+mph at normal cruising rpms.....so my question is: What in the hell did I screw up when bolting the shift linkage back on to make it to where 3rd gear is now selected when the shifter is in 1st position???? I have an idea in my head but thought I'd give you guys a crack at it as well....enjoy

owner since 2004 Feedback Score 0 colt45 gto's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    sounds like you fucked something up. maybe you need to adjust the shifter cables?

did you have the shifter out of the tranny btw? sounds like the plastic bush is missint between the two, its not allowing the shifter to be pushed all the way to 1st location?!
    3si is dead long live 3sgto.org

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by colt45 gto View Post
    sounds like you fucked something up. maybe you need to adjust the shifter cables?

did you have the shifter out of the tranny btw? sounds like the plastic bush is missint between the two, its not allowing the shifter to be pushed all the way to 1st location?!
    I never removed the shifter itself, I just dropped the tranny for a clutch swap and I think I put the little pin on the swivel arm on the tranny underneath the rotating arm instead of in the middle of that rotating arm...if that makes any sense. They are the arms on the tranny that the cables attach to
    Last edited by mh3kgt; 09-28-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Owner Since

Thanks
    makes perfect sense.

Owner Since

Thanks
    K here is a pic...disregard the upper red circle, I stole it from a solid shifter bushing DIY.

Basically what I think is wrong is that the little pin that sticks out on the upper arm was placed underneath the other pivot arm instead of in the center of it like in the pic. I'm not sure how or why this would make that big of a difference, but I believe that to be my problem

Owner Since

Thanks
    1st gear is down and back on that shaft if i remember right? if the pivot is below where it should be the selector shaft will not travel down for 1st.

Owner Since

Thanks
    1st gear is down and back on that shaft if i remember right? if the pivot is below where it should be the selector shaft will not travel down for 1st.
    Aaahhh that makes sense. So basically I have the pin right in the way of where the arm needs to travel down in order to go into first...so I've effectively made my trans have (2) 3rd and 4th gears hahah

Owner Since

Thanks
    you will see where its been, because that area will be clean. if the shifter doesn't travel down for 1st and 2nd then you have to look at that to make sure its in the right place.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to colt45 gto For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    you will see where its been, because that area will be clean. if the shifter doesn't travel down for 1st and 2nd then you have to look at that to make sure its in the right place.
    Hmm I can place the shifter itself inside the car into every gear no problems, but it's the tranny that isn't going into the correct gear. Are you talking about I'll be able to see where the pin has been on the actual linkage arms on the tranny? Makes sense. I'll have to look when I have a spare moment, it was pretty dark in the shop when I was putting everything back together so I couldn't see where the arms had been put together before. Thanks for the tip, it was my first and only reasonable assumption on what was going on when this all happened, but I managed to limp the car home in 3rd with a lot of revving and in-and-out clutch feathering lol.

Owner Since

Thanks
    i'm a little confused at how you got the shifter linkage messed up on the tranny.......if you never had it off!? it should not move. have you got the cables on right? not sure you can put them on wrong but worth a shot. get a flash light first and take a closer look at the linkage as we discussed above.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast