Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: P90x

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'm not an expert but the following seems to be pretty generally accepted in the bodybuilding community. Not to steer you away from the 6 pack but having visibly defined abs while trying to add weight is going to take an extremely strict diet. The issue is, when you want to add muscle, you should be eating more calories than your burn on a daily basis. This leaves the leftover calories to build some muscle. Unless your eating exactly what you and your muscles need, the extra leftovers get stored as fat. This is the called the ” bulk”.
    The 6 pack usually comes after you have reached your desired muscle mass and start doing cardio, eating a calorie deficit every day and still working out to maintain the muscle mass you built. The goal of this is to get rid of the excess fat and then you see all the well defined muscles including the 6 pack. This process is called the ”cut”.

So as you can see, the 2 are conflicting and you cant do them at the same time. So you cycle back and forth. I would suggest you definitely start with the bulk.

Also if you are not opposed to going to the gym at least 3 nights a week and can afford it, I would say go for it. I was very intimidated at first. It seemed like everyone there was from the movie 300 and i felt like they all were looking at me thinking "wtf is this skinny ass guy doing in our gym?!?!" Just ignore that feeling! Not that I ever got as big as half the guys there but after going for a month, you realize that most everyone is nice, most people keep to themselves, and some people will give you advice. You quickly feel apart of the gym and just as welcome as anyone else. A workout buddy is a huge motivation as long as they are motivated as well. If your work our buddy gets lazy and stops going, find a new one. The hardest part about all of this is sticking with it. I have stopped and restared like 5 times in the last 3 years and everytime I start again, I just wish i never stopped. I am just starting again and a 135lb squat feels heavy and I remember when I felt like I could run around the gym with 135lbs on my shoulders like it wasnt even there. Moral of the story is just keep at it.

Also if your going to perform any exercise, you need to get your form down. Read how to do them and watch a youtube video or watch 10. There is ALOT of misinformation when it comes to working out so the more you read, the better you get at spotting it. The main thing is, you do not want an injury. I thought I was immune to them and didnt take them seriosuly until i injured my lower back. I was in bed for a month and i live in constant fear of reinjuring it.

I started with a program called Rippetoes and i loved it, it seemed to give me a solid foundation. After that, you can branch off into the more complex split routines where you work a different body part every day. Machines have their place, but do not rely on them to do everything. If your going to squat, do it in a cage where you are still completely controlling the weight. Forget about the smith machine that does half the lift for you. The first time you squat or bench, the bar will be all over the place and wobbly, but you will learn to control it. Just keep the weights way down until you know how to do them.

That whole thing about high reps is for toning, low reps is for mass is crap. Weights are for mass, cardio and eating right is for "toning". Sorry IPD, but that is just some fitness magazine bs.
    Last edited by 99ishVR-4; 03-14-2013 at 02:25 AM.

Learn how to Powder Coat at www.powdercoatguide.com.

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boosted3s View Post
    I meant to type abs are MADE in the kitchen lol. Meaning they are all diet. I have never done a single ab exercise. I just eat clean and I have a pretty defined core. Ab work will help, don't get me wrong, but if you are taking in excess calories you can do all the ab work you want and you wont see your abs, not clearly at least.
    so frickin true. i'll never have a defined gut, and i work out my abs a lot.

p.s.

toning is a lot trickier than just cardio. cardio helps to burn off calories, but you need to work a specific muscle group if you want it toned.
    Last edited by IPD; 03-14-2013 at 07:55 AM.

Member verified Feedback Score 0 nodoze's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yea Abs and stomach are a bitch to work at , I can see two little Abs all the way at the top if I flex them hard enough lol . I'm more concerned about getting some decent pecs without a shirt on , a good fitting short makes them look.good .

I read an article about tom hardy and how he trained to be in the warrior and how he trained to be in Batman , he said in the warrior it was strict diet and crazy amount of cardiovascular and resistance training , where as Batman was all calories and low reps heavy weight . If you pay attention in Batman you can not see a single ab on bane but he looks amazing none the less .

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The 6 pack usually comes after you have reached your desired muscle mass and start doing cardio, eating a calorie deficit every day and still working out to maintain the muscle mass you built. The goal of this is to get rid of the excess fat and then you see all the well defined muscles including the 6 pack. This process is called the ”cut”.

So as you can see, the 2 are conflicting and you cant do them at the same time. So you cycle back and forth. I would suggest you definitely start with the bulk
    This depends on the person and applies to some mesomorphs and most endomorphs..But this generally won't apply to the OP or people that start out overall skinny (Ectomorphs). Also as you work out everything to completion around your core, your core will get stronger and tone as well to an extent. For some of us this shows more than others.

Everyone do yourself a favor: go Buy the Arnold Schwarzenegger Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding. This thing is like the starters bible. Trust me. I may even have it PDF'ed

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since
    2004/5?

Thanks
    My friend and I have both had success with west side for skinny bastards. I don't gain or keep weight on if I don't hit the gym. Its made for people like us. It just works plain and simple. Good diet is a must.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix
    . 1992 VR4 - Java Black Pearl paint (2004 STI) with combo '92/'96/'99 custom front end .
    . Fittipaldi Force or 5Zigen FNO1-RC wheels . Cianci rear strut bar . K&N intake . DNP pre-turbo hard pipes . DNP hard intercooler pipe kit . Greddy Type RS BOV (recirc) . HKS EVC Black Limited boost controller . Vacuum reduction with all silicone pluming . EGR block off plates . Hot wired fuel pump . AEM AFPR @the rail with Robbeck adapter . Fuel rail loop . Tanabe knockoff down pipe . No cats . Single Turbo Flamer full 3" cat back . RPS Max pressure plate with street disk . Seattle92VR4 solid motor mounts . '99 Lifters . R1 Concepts slotted rotors . Supercar Engineering brake caliper stiffening bolts . HHH data logging . Red Line fluids .

Member verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Snook's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    3 years later update: did p90x a week, something about attention span, and forgot all about it.
    good news?I've gained 20 pounds since then
    bad new: no one can tell, not even my wife.
    1992 white RT/TT
    1968 mercury Cougar
    2012 Yamaha R6
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    I got drugs and a lapful of cats. life is goodish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook
    "my wife told me to get another vr4, because, ya know, it went so great the first two times"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345