Member verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Snook's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'm currently taking in 3500 cals a day FYI

I don't bite Feedback Score 0 familyMAN's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roybatty View Post
    Gyms are good because of the synergy you get from others. You won't ever get that from a video. You can't discount the social aspects of the gym. The similar minded people you meet there will be positive encouragement. You don't need to be a muscle head. But as the adage goes... It is a way of life. Having strength/fitness will help you with confidence in all other aspects of your life.

Sent from garage
    I disagree. I love the p90x videos. Feels like you are working out with the group. Gyms annoy me because some always wants to talk and distract instead of working out. have a cage at home now so I can lift heavy, safely and not have to go to a gym.

I have not gone to a hardcore meat-head gym though. Maybe that would be better but I have tries several gyms with plenty of free weights and members using them and still was annoyed by "social aspect."

Edit: Agree with your last part on strength/fitness! Definitely adds to a well-rounded life. Work, play, family and fitness.
    Last edited by familyMAN; 03-04-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    1992 Kilder Green VR4 - First 4G swap in a 3S. 2.0, auto, awd. 9.65 at 143mph. Now LS swapped. 8.52 at 162.

Member verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Snook's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Confidence is one of my issues. Its why I've never been to the gym. I've never been able to lift weights. I can work like a mofo, but I can't even lift weights with my closest friends and not get red face pissed and leave.

Member verified Feedback Score 0 nodoze's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Just remember what they say Modify !!! Just because you can't do five pull ups doesn't mean you should quit , use a chair to bang out some more . It will come in time . I HAVE added inches to my biceps and well defined back.muscles and even some half ass pecs , but i doubt I could bench more than 180 but I can whip out forty to fifty pushups and twenty pull ups unassisted now . Versus having to do a handful and use assistance ten months ago .

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

// Off the beaten path \\ Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) boosted3s's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook View Post
    Confidence is one of my issues. Its why I've never been to the gym. I've never been able to lift weights. I can work like a mofo, but I can't even lift weights with my closest friends and not get red face pissed and leave.
    There will be people at the gym with all kinds of different body types, skinny, overweight, fit, and everything in between. Most people in the gym are very friendly and love to help and share their knowledge. 99.9% of the people there aren't there to judge anyone. Getting started is always the hardest part, but once you start to see some changes you will probably become hooked, I know I did.
    Stance Game Michael Myers
    19t RT/TT
    04 e60
    @Get_Like_M1ke

Owner Since

Thanks
    I've been following http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/

for about 18months and love it. I was never a lifter before (runner). Did p90x for a couple years. (3days a week typically as maintenance but would kick it up every now and then) but absolutely love lifting now.

The website above is great for a beginner and has downloadable spreadsheets to plan your routine.

I have now doing "Madcow" for a couple months since I have moved up in weight past the 5x5 recommendations. Hit a couple PRs this week I would also suggest Starting Strength book to read and learn proper form of lifts and theory behind them.

You would need to invest in a good Olympic weight bar and plates, a cage, so you can lift by yourself and a bench. I got a GREAT setup on Craigslist. Or you can go to the gym and follow the program there easily.

Padawan garage troll Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Roybatty's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by boosted3s View Post
    There will be people at the gym with all kinds of different body types, skinny, overweight, fit, and everything in between. Most people in the gym are very friendly and love to help and share their knowledge. 99.9% of the people there aren't there to judge anyone. Getting started is always the hardest part, but once you start to see some changes you will probably become hooked, I know I did.
    I have to agree with Boost. Keep in mind; we all start off the same. Weak and worthless but as with anything worthwhile, takes time and intelligent effort. And you occasionally may run into a holes. For me, I remind myself I am not there for them, I am here for me. You are not in competition with anyone.

Nothing against p90x. If it works... Go for it. I tried it. Got a bow flex, it sits in the corner . Just can't get the same pump or intensity.
    Sent from garage
    91 AWD TT
    K&N FIPK, Precats gutted, Test Pipe, Blitz DSBC, Walbro 255, Vacuum reduction, SM3, MMCd, Krank Vents, 3SX Aluminum Crank Pulley, Aluminum 2PC DS, MAFT Pro (AFC mode atm).

To do list: Need to check electronic timing, install FP hotwire, install PS poly MM, RUACAs, Setrab oil cooler, Dejon Y-pipe, 3.5 GM Mas, FIC 650ccs & 13Ts.

JNS Engineering verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Jimvr4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by familyMAN View Post
    Interested in this. Looked at the site and see they start you out with some free stuff. How do they make their money?

Owner Since

Thanks
    He has a forum that you pay for and promotes books every now and then. I am signed up for free emails and he is not intrusive at all. I have not signed up for "inner circle" forum.

I have enjoyed the simplicity of the 5x5 program. Easy to follow and you get stronger! Better start to like squats though because you do them 3 times a week. I love it. Went from ZERO experience to 350 squat,405 dead and 250 bench in 18 months. Not huge numbers I know but it is great progress for me and I'm still making progress. Even with work travels and 4 kids getting in the way. Just follow the advice and start with low weight. When you add 5lbs every workout and squat 3x a week you get to bigger numbers quickly.

Chris said ninjas don't fall down. Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since
    7/07/07

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook View Post
    Fuck it, if I can do it, so can you! I am now doing weights and I lost all of my muscle mass last year do to a faulty thyroid. I bench pressed for the first time and I swear I wish Chris had video taped it! A fine chuckle indeed. Screw what other people think! If they can't appreciate that you are there TRYING, screw 'em. It's about YOU and not THEM. Go for it! I love going to the gym and I love working out. Eventually I will love this new program...but right now it's kicking my ass.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast