Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some quick front wheel bearing clarification

Better than that "other" place Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

Need some quick front wheel bearing clarification

I just need to make sure that I'm getting what I need here. The front passenger wheel has very noticeable play in it in every direction and I'm sure it's the wheel bearing. I need to clarify that on the AWD drivetrain, the entire hub assembly needs to be replaced to replace the bearing, correct? It's an integrated unit from what I can tell.

I'm looking at part number MR223993 and I'm having the local dealership order this so it's in by Thursday. I need to make sure this is what I need as the car needs to be working by Saturday.

Vacuum reduction, Powdercoated misc, cruise relocate, Evo9 BOV, Custom catch cans, Russell fuel filter, SS braided fuel lines, High flow fuel loop, Autogage fuel gauge, Catless DP, DNP Y-pipe, Fuel pump hotwire.

seize the carpe!
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'm guessing you mean the hub as in studs and bearing and not the entire cast knuckle assembly? Because yes its easier to just replace the assembly as in bearing and hub with studs.

http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_vi...?idProduct=631

Owner Since

Thanks
    Correct. Don't need the knuckle. I only need a new wheel bearing, but the bearings appear to seat inside the hub as an integral unit.

This one is obviously broken, but you get the idea.

So, I suppose I will have them get this for me then.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    yes, generally speaking you get the hub assembly that bolts in to the steering knuckle when replacing the wheel bearing. If this is the first time you have had to remove the halfshaft, you'll be in for a battle. the splines of the shaft are usually rusted and fused to the splines of the hub and make it nearly impossible to separate (unless you have a torch and a press). Good luck.

seize the carpe!
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I was looking into just replacing the bearing too but couldnt find one that would work. I ended up buying them from 3sx and I couldnt be happier, Made a world of difference.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yea its a complete assembly that you bolt it. They are $100 for an OEM replacement.

-Ricer Evo 8: 8.75 @ 166 Best MPH of 167. Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in The US!!!
    -Chris Cessna's Stock short block Evo 8: 9.76@150 Worlds Fastest Stock Motor Evo 8 and First Stock Block In The 9's!
    -Shawna's DD Evo 8: 9.97@143.88 Best MPH of 145 Full leather interior, A/C, navigation, stock brakes, cruisin 9's in style
    -Cory's Stock 7 bolt talon: 10.3@136 No crank walk here...
    -STM Stock turbo/motor Stealth RT: 10.95@127 Worlds Quyickest/Fastest and most powerful Stock turbo/ motor 3S
    -James STM built Pump gas Evo8 stock motor: 10.2@137 Stock long block, and only on pump gas!
    -Mike Faggiano Evo3 16g stock motor 1g 11.0@124 just a 16g knockin on 10's door.
    And the list goes on...

seize the carpe!
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by neveret View Post
    yes, generally speaking you get the hub assembly that bolts in to the steering knuckle when replacing the wheel bearing. If this is the first time you have had to remove the halfshaft, you'll be in for a battle. the splines of the shaft are usually rusted and fused to the splines of the hub and make it nearly impossible to separate (unless you have a torch and a press). Good luck.

It can be a pain but make sure you dont damage the threads in the process. Upon re-installation a small amount of anti-seize will do wonders.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by neveret View Post
    I own a hub removing slide hammer, so I'm not too worried about it

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    if that oem part number is right, it's cheaper to buy factory than it is to buy from the parts store. 84$ from mentor mitsu, and 198$ from Advance Auto.

Owner Since

Thanks
    I'm forced to buy from my local dealer due to the fact that I need this part in like 2 days. I just paid them for it... $120

Not a bad price considering the urgency of the situation.

And yes, I try to go OEM for practically everything.