Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home built paint booths?

Home built paint booths?

Gentlemen (and ladies),

Have any of you ever made a home made paint booth? I'm toying with the idea of painting my hood and fenders over the winter. Possibly even the roof of the car to match the body. I'm curious to see anyone that has done this and may have some pointers on the do's and don'ts of home auto painting. I'm looking for how the booth was setup, I'm thinking tarps with some type of filtration system and fans along with what type of sprayer was used, pressures for the paint gun, etc.. I have almost no experience with anything other than rattle cans and air brushes so all input is welcome.

Erron S.

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks
    its not easy to keep the paint dust inside the spray booth, that needs to be sealed and good extractor fans placed in.

you will end up with dust out side of the tent where you didn't want it but its the small sacrifices we must endure lol
    3si is dead long live 3sgto.org

Ya, what I'm thinking is a very large tarp, essentially a canopy area. Then with a couple of intake and output fans with something like a filter from a industrial AC system stuck to the back of one of these. Then get inside there and let it filter for a while to remove the dust in the air. I've also heard that by wetting the floor and walls with water also works well. Something like this anyway..

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks
    you want just a fan or two extracting, if you have a fan feeding you will create a turbulance that the spray gun will not like.

Good call. Keep the info coming guys. I need info on the spray guns. Are Harbor Freight one the typical cheapo stuff or do they have any that work decently?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I'm not an expert by any means but from what I've seen people do simply cleaning the garage, covering the walls/everything else with plastic, and hosing down the floor to prevent dust from being kicked up can make for a clean paint job. Also, don't cheap out on a gun, have a decent compressor that can keep up, and spend the money on decent oil and water filters.

That's exactly what I need to know. I currently have a 15 gallon, max pressure of 140psi, no clue on the CFM. Any good brands of sprayers you could recommend?

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximal View Post
    I'm not an expert by any means but from what I've seen people do simply cleaning the garage, covering the walls/everything else with plastic, and hosing down the floor to prevent dust from being kicked up can make for a clean paint job. Also, don't cheap out on a gun, have a decent compressor that can keep up, and spend the money on decent oil and water filters.
    reverand!
    spray guns give even the best compressors a run for their money. its like having a constant leaking airline.
    you will either want kestrel or devilbis spray gun. either suction or gravity, personaly i prefer suction.

get fine and medium paint strainers. and a couple of mixing tubs. and a good mask. have plenty of standard thinners for cleaning the guns and equipment. and remember clear is mixed 2:1 ratio. ..... and it goes solid in the spray gun too if left too long... dont ask how i know

Sponsor
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Haha, I recently made a thread on "the other site" about this topic. There are pictures and a wealth of info, I suggest you read it.

http://www.3si.org/forum/f1/check-ou...-booth-502499/

To the poster above me: clear is mixed at whatever the specified ratio is. The warm weather clear I just used is 4:1.

As for guns - don't get a nice gun like a devilbiss. They take up a lot of air and you won't notice the difference in quality unless you're spraying in a booth.

The compressor will have a CFM @90psi specification. it needs to be AT LEAST 5cfm to even think of painting with it. Some guns require up to 13cfm.

I use this gun and love it: http://www.harborfreight.com/hvlp-de...gun-46719.html

Kurt S.
    A.K.A. Lat 42
    A.K.A. "Fro Bro"

Hey, that looks pretty good! (the booth I mean)
    I didn't see any fan or filter system there, did you have any trouble with the particles or anything else landing on the wet paint?