Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My full-car build

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthknight619 View Post
    How do you like the black engine bay on your pearl white car? I may be going that route myself on my 92TT. What paint did you use?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    I decided to go flat black with mine, and I love how it turned out.. The complete bay will be awesome.

I cleaned the bay first, then hit it with heavy grit sand paper to fine. Then hit it with sand able primer and then the flat black. I got all of it from advance auto parts. Be sure to get at least 3 cans of each. I believe I laid 2-3 coats of both the primer and paint.

Oh, and the subframe is gloss black.
    -Benn
    Master Elite KIA Technician
    Past> Level 3 Chrysler & Bronze level Hyundai
    1994 3000GT VR4 - #175 Black/Black 99 VR4
    2013 135is - 1988 Toyota Supra Turbo - Hers
    Follow my build thread here

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Little heads up about the krank vents. If you get the two small ones then I’d just leave the rear one off. It’s a restriction and sometimes doesn’t let the air out quick enough. Some people don’t have a problem with it but others do, I did. The large one will let more air through (why they sell a bigger one) so it should be OK. If you do end up smoking after boosting then pull the back one if you have it on.

Cool build, look forward to seeing it go together. Take lots of pics

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

One fix at a time verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    Little heads up about the krank vents. If you get the two small ones then I’d just leave the rear one off. It’s a restriction and sometimes doesn’t let the air out quick enough. Some people don’t have a problem with it but others do, I did. The large one will let more air through (why they sell a bigger one) so it should be OK. If you do end up smoking after boosting then pull the back one if you have it on.

I have a big and little one. Don't run them both if you have TD04 turbos. I get really high crankcase pressure at anything above 18 psi it will blow out the dipstick. The large one won't allow enough air to be sucked in quick enough. For TD05 or T3 turbos I have had no problems running the big and small one together. I'm about to pull out the rear big one to see if it solves my crankcase issues. If not I will vent a catch can off the front to rear valve cover vacuum hose on the timing belt side with a small krank vent there if I want to keep vacuum in the system. All of the above was mentioned to me by Matt after asking him about my issues with crankcase pressure. What he explain has worked all on his high horsepower cars he built for himself or customers.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TurboSinceBirth View Post
    I have a big and little one. Don't run them both if you have TD04 turbos. I get really high crankcase pressure at anything above 18 psi it will blow out the dipstick. The large one won't allow enough air to be sucked in quick enough. For TD05 or T3 turbos I have had no problems running the big and small one together. I'm about to pull out the rear big one to see if it solves my crankcase issues. If not I will vent a catch can off the front to rear valve cover vacuum hose on the timing belt side with a small krank vent there if I want to keep vacuum in the system. All of the above was mentioned to me by Matt after asking him about my issues with crankcase pressure. What he explain has worked all on his high horsepower cars he built for himself or customers.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I have a oil catch can that ill install on the driver side as well as you described.

Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboSinceBirth View Post
    I removed my KV's and put them off two hoses in-between the heads. Why two hoses? Less restriction

I just unplug them (KV’s) when I crank up the boost and start running hard.

Mine is like this but I have the vents in the lines coming off the hoses.

This is it.

Forum User Not Verified

Owner Since

Thanks
    what is the point of the crank vents if they don't work for high boost? you guys are making me want to sell mine if they are going to be a pain, I don't have any smoking issues on the stock pcv yet.

Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Gump View Post
    what is the point of the crank vents if they don't work for high boost? you guys are making me want to sell mine if they are going to be a pain, I don't have any smoking issues on the stock pcv yet.
    They really don't do much good it seems. Only if your stock PCV is leaking. The back one is just to put vacuum on the CC when off the throttle but it restricts gasses from exiting under boost.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to green-lantern For This Useful Post:

One fix at a time verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    That would be fine the way you have it with two off of the vacuum line between the two valve covers. It just depends if you want to dump it in the engine bay, under the car, or into a catch can. I'm running the small one between the front valve cover and lower intake. I replaced the rear big krank vent with some 3/8" hose connected to the stock intake bubble. Matt recommended trying this because I told him I still want there to be vacuum in the crankcase which is the function of the little one. Without the big krank vent I now have a better inlet for fresh air into the crankcase when it needs some from the air bubble. I did this tonight as well as install a hallman MBC. I was going to try it out by my battery is low on the charger right now. I will post back with some results.

Give Matt a call if you don't think the krank vents work. He'll tell you how to set them up. I was not aware of the issues with running the bigger krank vent on TD04 smaller turbos hitting high boost 20-30 psi until I called him up on the phone wondering what his trick was with them to not get the dipstick to blow out.

I lack color... verified

Owner Since
    Aug 1998

Thanks
    They work great! Just use the front one. It's another check valve to keep pressure out of the crank case. The stock PCV doesn't do well under high boost.

2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - 1.8L 5-speed 3.9 torsen FMII powered
    Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/threa.../greg-pa-build

99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
    98 Pearl White VR4 #54 of 231 - 12.84@105mph - 93 Octane 12.50@107mph - 100 Octane with Chromed ECU - sold
    99 Pearl White VR4 #108 of 287 - 3RD place stock car class ECG 11 - Sold
    98 Black VR4: 100% stock - totalled by an Illegal 2-12-08
    95 White Stealth TT - 11.852 @ 118.25 - sold
    95 SSG Stealth TT - 11.981 @ 115.81mph - sold

"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Lots of good discussion on krank vents. When I get mine in I'll figure something out.. Until then here's a small update to keep this alive/moving forward.

I think I will paint the letters black. I'm also in the middle of polishing my intercooler, piping, radiator, and spark plug cover