Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chrome V2 Tech Manual

I lack color... verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 1998

Thanks
    Custom Pin 35 Output

This pin controls the vent solenoid on the 98/99 cars. The 91-97 cars do not have this so this pin is basically free to be used for something more interesting.

When you enable this system in Periphery 1, pin 35 will be energized when all 4 of these conditions are met. The ECU sends out a 12v 3amp signal so your options for this are within the limits of your imagination. It can be used to trigger a relay to activate a meth injection pump, boost a pump, warning buzzer.... Anything you can think of!

Custom Pin 48 Output

Pin 48 is the Fuel Pressure solenoid on the Flash ECU. Another useless system everyone eliminates...

To make this system a little different than pin 35, I've coded a maximum value into the fold. This will only trigger the pin within a certain range when enabled in periphery 1. Like say you have an OBD1 car and would like to keep your purge system. All you have to do is switch the purge solenoid wire to pin 48 and it will function like stock. The default values I coded into this setup are for the OBD1 purge system so there's no fear of sending positive pressure into your charcoal canister.

Both of these custom outputs will revert back to stock 99 code when the periphery is switched OFF.

2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - 1.8L 5-speed 3.9 torsen FMII powered
    Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/threa.../greg-pa-build

99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
    98 Pearl White VR4 #54 of 231 - 12.84@105mph - 93 Octane 12.50@107mph - 100 Octane with Chromed ECU - sold
    99 Pearl White VR4 #108 of 287 - 3RD place stock car class ECG 11 - Sold
    98 Black VR4: 100% stock - totalled by an Illegal 2-12-08
    95 White Stealth TT - 11.852 @ 118.25 - sold
    95 SSG Stealth TT - 11.981 @ 115.81mph - sold

"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."

I lack color... verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 1998

Thanks
    Sensor Scaling

While these serve no performance function at this time, this was the best solution I could come up with for logging after market 5V sensors thru the stock ECU. If you guys like these, I'll add more 5V scaling inputs thru secondary O2s (say you wanted to log fuel pressure or oil pressure).

Right now, this is setup to log any MAP sensor thru pin 92 and any wideband thru pin 93. All you need to wire is the sensors 5V output signals into these pins, then scale them according to the manufacturer settings.

After you have this setup, then all you need to do to log them is select MAP and wideband Scaled in EVOScan. If you have your scaling setup correctly, the values will be accurate. You should be able to find the scalings for any/all sensors thru google.

For example, this is the scaling for the EVOX map sensor.

****I do not have a list of every sensor and their scalings however in the future I may compile a list for you guys. For now, you'll have to do a little searching.

Discussion here:
    http://www.3sgto.org/f104/disassembl...nsor-8260.html

I lack color... verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 1998

Thanks
    Peripheries

When V1 first came out, there were still a few of these I didn't quite understand (especially in periphery 0). This area of the code probably took the longest to disassemble and Jeff deserves major credit for his help in tracking down which bits correspond to what CEL.

A few of you guys have issues following instructions so I've included notes of what ones to not touch. In this post I'll go over each periphery in detail and hopefully that'll clear up any confusion.

Basically, Periphery 0 is just a bit to toggle specific OBD2 functions and Periphery 2 thru 4 just toggle individual Check Engine Lights.

This is Periphery 0:

When you install a flash ECU into your car and/or you want to do a full vac reduction, there aren't any bits that need to be disabled in this periphery.

The only thing you might want to play with are the Speed Limit Function (bit 6). This enables the safety feature. Handy for when you drop your car off at a shady mechanic and you're afraid they're gonna play with your car.

If you want your car to run only on 1 narrowband instead of 2, disable bit 2. This will then make the code function off the rear narrowband only.

If you want to disable closed loop entirely for any reason, switch bit 4 off and the ECU will be in open loop all the time.

Also note that I made mention to not play with bits 11 or 12. This is because they don't enable/disable the code, they only switch the code to another type of function. Since Mitsu used this ROM in every one of their vehicles, they encoded the functions for all the cars and used these bits to trigger which condition they wanted the system to function under. If you play with these, you'll find your car will run like ass.

Leaving these as they are and eliminating the solenoids will not hurt anything.

This is Periphery 1:

AKA the Chrome Mods periphery. I took it over as it was all just unused space in memory. I've also included a switch bit to disable all the mods at once for diagnostic purposes should you run into issues.

This is Periphery 2 thru 4:

These are all the CELs I could find in the code. Quite literally all you have to do is disable the bit containing the code you don't wish to see illuminated on your dash.

So when you first install your Flash ECU, you'll need to disable bits 15, 14, 13, 11, 10, 9, 3 and 1 to ensure no CELs if you're a 1G car (or any car with a full vac reduction) without any of these systems. Even the 96/97 cars will need to disable bits 13-15 as you guys don't have the same purge system as the 98/99 cars.

Say you wanted to eliminate the secondary O2 sensors without a CEL. Then all you gotta do is disable bit 3 and 11. See how that works?

Disabling these bits won't disable their function, only the Check Engine Light!

I lack color... verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 1998

Thanks
    Diagnostics

I haven't really explained the MUT nor the OBD2 table before, but there isn't any reason any of you guys need to play with them. They are just maps into the ROM. EVOScan uses the MUT table to log the addresses in RAM shown in the table. If you were to edit any of the addresses in this table, EVOScan won't show correct readings. This is why I say that my EVOScan file will only work with Chrome. There are several changes I've made to the MUT for logging.

The OBD2 table functions the same way only it communicates with OBD2 protocols. Any OBD2 reader out there uses this table.

The MUT Actuator Mask table is handy for diagnosing specific functions. If you open up EVOScan and type in the MUT Actuator into the MUT section at the bottom while datalogging, that pin will activate.

Say for example, you wanted to test your fans. In the table, MUT Actuator CE is for both radiator fans. Open up EVOScan and start logging.

Type CE into this box, then check the Repeat box and within a second or two, both your fans will turn on. If only one turns on (or neither) then you have a problem.
    Note: that 91/92 cars do NOT have the fans tied into the ECU therefore this actuator won't function.

The Protocol Bauds aren't anything you need to play with either. They're just the speed at which the ECU exports data. We've experimented with speeding these up in an attempt to get more packets per second with data logging but it didn't seem to make much difference.

I lack color... verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 1998

Thanks
    OBD2 Inspection Monitors

Thanks greatly in part to Jeff, we've got EVOScan configured to monitor your Inspection Monitors!

This is handy for the OBD2 guys who want to verify their cars will pass inspection before taking your car in and wasting the $$ to find out one hasn't been updated.

Note: If you disabled any bits in periphery 2-4, your car will likely NOT pass as these monitors will show as incomplete all the time. Each state has it's own law about how many monitors it'll allow as incomplete before failing your car so be aware of this.

Now V2 has the ability force these monitors to stay completed. While this is 100% illegal for an OBD2 car to patch their ROMs with this code, the penalties for getting caught editing the Federal Standard code are quite high. Be warned that by editing these values you are essentially making your car illegal to drive on the street. Even if you still get your emissions sticker.

Follow the instructions in all the tabs. If you did it correctly the Quick Check tables will show the correct monitor status for our cars.

This mod is for OFF ROAD use only!!!

I lack color... verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 1998

Thanks
    Q/A Section

I lack color... verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 1998

Thanks
    Post for more discussions

I lack color... verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 1998

Thanks
    Brief update:

There are now 2 dedicated websites to the flash ECU.

www.clonedecu.com

www.chromedecu.org
    Last edited by Greg E; 04-16-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123