Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supercharger by-pass valve

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ibsorgn View Post
    In other words its for fuel economy - by preventing boost from building under lite loads.

I installed my SBV about a year ago and realized about a 2mpg increase in fuel economy. I purchased my SBV from Magnuson, I think I spent about $60 however ever due to hood clearance problems I mounted mine on the bottom side of the SC which was a challenge in itself.

Hope this answers your questions.
    Are you satisfied with the way the SBV works? Any effect on performance? Could you be more specific about your comment "mounted mine on the bottom side of the SC which was a challenge in itself."
    Many thanks

Forum User Feedback Score 0 ibsorgn's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown3000 View Post
    Are you satisfied with the way the SBV works? Any effect on performance? Could you be more specific about your comment "mounted mine on the bottom side of the SC which was a challenge in itself."
    Many thanks
    Yes I'm satisfied however I was surprised that the fuel mileage increased that much. Because it did, it goes to show that the SC does put a load on the motor maybe similar, in my case to running the AC. If I'm not mistaken Mr. Knight told me, that at 8 pounds of boost, would figure a load around 14hp. Effect on performance, I don't see anything different. Power comes on like normal. I'm running a 4th gen Magnuson MP90 which sets at the 3 o'clock position. My system is Knight's 12 gen which positions the SC more along the centerline of the hood. I believe that was done to provide more hood scoop options unlike the earlier versions which were offset to the driver's side. Because of the SC positioning, the SBV falls right under the back edge of the rear valve cover which leaves very little clearance for the actuator arm to swing freely. I was able to create enough clearance by grinding on the valve cover and reducing the length of the SBV butterfly shaft. This all could have been avoided had I, either provided a higher hood scoop and mounting the SBV on the top side (left side), or adding a spacer on the lower intake manifold which would raise the SC and provide more clearance. A good choice would be a non metallic spacer (3/8") which would also reduce heat transfer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12