Page 58 of 64 FirstFirst ... 8485657585960 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 634

Thread: JimVR4 95 Spyder Engine Rebuild

  1. #571
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

    Location
    Royersford, PA
    Posts
    3,814
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,059
    Thanked 442 Times in 317 Posts
    Your car makes me want a Spyder Seriously, lovely work!

    I had the same downpipe with the same fitment issues. The flanges warped because I had to crank down on it so hard... I ended up having to use RTV to make the downpipe gaskets seal to pass emissions.

    BTW, is your oil pan dented or is that a weird reflection?
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝
    - 24

  2. #572
    JNS Engineering verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1994

    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
    Daily driving her until the break in is completed. Done about 100 miles so far. Logging AFR now and starting to tune. She's at about 14 psi wastegate boost. I think that's about the limit of my fuel supply right now so I have to upgrade my hot wire.
    Last edited by Jimvr4; 01-10-2014 at 02:01 PM.

    Mod list (scroll down the page)
    JNS Engineering has your Spyders covered (and uncovered too!!)

  3. #573
    JNS Engineering verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1994

    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
    I do have the AFR working right after discovering I made an error when I changed the WideBand Scaled scaling formula in Evoscan. Scaling stays at 0.0627 * x + 7.

    Also found an odd issue where laptop and standalone Tactrix 2.0 logging methods give a different result for the IPW requests 2B and 29 (front and rear bank IPW). It looks like the standalone is incorrect on these.

    I'm trying to figure out how to get the Evoscan soft gauges to display my Wideband Scaled number.

    Also discovered that cruise control is not working and my ETAC timer delay is also not working. These are probably unrelated.

  4. #574
    JNS Engineering verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1994

    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
    The Spyder did DD service over the last couple weeks, logging over 500 miles in commute traffic back and forth to the office. She performed really well and has plenty of power at wastegate boost. So I dumped the Royal Purple break-in oil and OEM filter and the oil was clean of particulates and barely had any color other than purple lol. So I put in Rotella T6 and a WIX 51318 filter. The 1 gallon isn't enough, needed an extra quart. The filter fits up there and has plenty of clearance above the left member. But two things I'm not keen about are the clearance for torquing the sump bolt and there are no flutes or wrench fitting on the filter so it will be a pain to remove it when the time comes. On the plus side, the splitter still has enough clearance for the oil filter access. I cut a piece of drop cloth and taped it up there to keep the suspension clean when I pulled out the old filter.



    Road trip time!! I logged 300 miles on a drive up to Winters and Lake Berryessa with the Norcal3S group. Chargerx3 had his 95 Stealth TT and Spider Dan had his 95 VR4 Spyder. The other guys had a R35 GTR, BMW 635is, and S2000. Plenty of fun was had with the twisties on this drive and the Spyder performed flawlessly on the whoe trip.











    She deserved a drink for the drive home after a great day! Even with the spirited 7/10ths outing she managed 18 mpg. I'll take it!



    Last edited by Jimvr4; 01-20-2014 at 01:10 AM.

  5. #575
    Member Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    '09

    Location
    Myrtle Beach
    Posts
    2,604
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 131 Times in 95 Posts
    Absolutely beautiful!

  6. #576
    Very nice. 10/10 build.

  7. #577
    JNS Engineering verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1994

    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
    Thanks

    Did some wiring work over the weekend. The front mounted camera was picking up interference from the Wideband heater circuit because I tapped into the same circuit for power and ground. I rerouted the WB power and ground to the beefier power wiring that my Viper alarm uses. Problem solved - no video interference now and the wideband also reads the same as it did.

    I also hooked up pin 92 of the FECU harness to my AVC-R sensor which is a 3 bar pressure sensor. But first I hooked up the sensor on the bench and applied pressure with a Mityvac pressure tester. I was able to plot out the PSI / volts curve for the device and flash it into the FECU ROM. After hooking it up and trying out Evoscan I am getting a -8 PSI reading at idle which matches my AVC-R reading of 413 mmHG.

    I also downloaded Virtual Dyno v1.25 and played around with my last logs. I don't have any complete pulls but I did have a brief third gear pull that I could load. I'm still at about 14 PSI wastegate boost and the log was done with only about 75% TPS and RPM up to about 5800. I'm seeing AFR a little below 11 and IDC around 60% in this log. I went into VD and adjusted the profile to reflect the 4123 lb Spyder weight and also my 26.03 tall tires (255/40/18). With all that it's reporting 317 whp. Obviously there is MUCH more power to be had.

    Now that I can log boost I need to take the car out again and do a full 3rd gear pull. It's hard to find enough road here in NorCal as I think I'll be hitting 110-120 before third gives out. Probably keep it at wastegate a little longer until I see how the IDC and KnockSum react.

    Having fun!
    Last edited by Jimvr4; 02-17-2014 at 04:32 PM.

  8. #578
    GREASE BUNNY
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2005

    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,045
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked 94 Times in 68 Posts
    Nice to see some of us are actually getting to enjoy their car!

    Looks wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    Oh Karen, you made me smile today.

  9. #579
    1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Owner Since
    Birth

    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,077
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 451 Times in 347 Posts
    :sweet:

    Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

  10. #580
    JNS Engineering verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1994

    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
    Yeah HB's thread on the stock 99 has me inspired to see what I can do. I have absolutely NO tuning experience but I know how to read the logs

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering