Page 51 of 64 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 634

Thread: JimVR4 95 Spyder Engine Rebuild

  1. #501
    JNS Engineering verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1994

    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioSpyderman View Post
    Jim,

    What is that mounted in your front grill (front mounted camera)?

    I would leave it on jack stands FOR EV ER.....

    Bob.
    It's my parking camera Actually it's mounted to the license plate bracket. I wonder if I could mount a Hero 3 there instead

  2. #502
    Forum User verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2005

    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimvr4 View Post
    I didn't look for them. These were re-used from the donor compressor.
    Ok, I want to give my compressor the same treatment but was concerned about re-using the gaskets.

    Learn how to Powder Coat at www.powdercoatguide.com.

  3. #503
    JNS Engineering verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1994

    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 99ishVR-4 View Post
    Ok, I want to give my compressor the same treatment but was concerned about re-using the gaskets.
    I should have chromed it but I just want to drive after 9 months of down time. I really can't say if the seals will hold up over time but I did pump down the system to 29 mmHG and it held up as long as I waited (over an hour). My system was clean though. I would be worried if you had an open system for a long time or if the compressor had failed. As long as no foreign material touched those seals they should be OK in my opinion.

  4. #504
    1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Owner Since
    Birth

    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,077
    Thanks
    649
    Thanked 451 Times in 347 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioSpyderman View Post
    Jim,

    What is that mounted in your front grill (front mounted camera)?


    Bob.
    That's the skirt cam, our friend Jim is a creeper. lol

    Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

  5. #505
    GREASE BUNNY
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2005

    Location
    VA
    Posts
    1,045
    Thanks
    131
    Thanked 94 Times in 68 Posts
    Beautiful work!
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    Oh Karen, you made me smile today.

  6. #506
    JNS Engineering verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1994

    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
    Can't believe it's been this long since I updated this thread. Not a lot has been done on the car as it sat for much of September and October with life taking other priorities.

    I did complete a hot wire of the Supra FP. I went a different direction to provide both low and high voltage. I found that the stock wiring for the original high voltage where it bypasses the resistor could be used for the LOW voltage of the Supra since it draws so much more current. So essentially I found a way to swap the high / low wiring without cutting the harness and I added in the hot wire for the high. At this time my high voltage get reach about 13V assuming charging is up to 14V or so. I still have plans to increase this another volt or so with a new circuit.

    I also finally got the AC system operational and managed to suck in a can of freon but it still needs another. AC seems to be leak free and operational at least so that's good.

    In a couple of road tests the car wasn't making any power and the during test yesterday the electrical was acting up. The battery keeps draining while the car sits too and I haven't found any draws on it when I put my DVM in current mode. But I did discover the charging voltage wasn't present and when I checked at the alternator I found there was an 8 volt drop from the alternator case to the motor. Then it dawned on me that powder coat is a very good insulator and I wasn't careful enough with the alternator mounting bracket. It will have to come out for sanding off the PC to restore a proper ground to the block. Alternator might be blown as well since I did have charging working at first. It is the original one, only coming out one other time for new brushes.

    I also installed some Carbotech AX6 pads up front having to grind the edges to clear the powder coating on the calipers. Skillard's under car channel cover went in as well. The old plastic channel basically disintegrated when I pulled it out so that was certainly a needed upgrade and looks fantastic under there. Eventually I will get to the rear section under the car and restore everything back there as well. The rear subframe, differential, rear bearings, etc will be gone through at some point. I might wait for the rear steering rack to leak before bothering though.

    After getting it running right I have to pass emissions. Then I will upgrade the downpipe and put in the wideband and start establishing the tune.

    Mod list (scroll down the page)
    JNS Engineering has your Spyders covered (and uncovered too!!)

  7. #507
    There will be Blood! verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1997

    Location
    In Sane!
    Posts
    4,677
    Thanks
    1,081
    Thanked 449 Times in 331 Posts
    Yes time flies! Props on the effort!

    Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

  8. #508
    Senior (i.e. OLD) Member :) verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1997

    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    946
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 66 Times in 57 Posts
    Sorry to hear you're still fighting issues, but would love to see more current pics of the car!!!!!

    Sidenote: I cleaned, covered and battery maintained mine yesterday...have a good sleep...

    Bob.
    95 Caracus Red Spyder VR4 (sold 6/12/21 )
    Cianci FG Viper Hood/Aerocatch Pins
    Quad Carbon Fiber Tipped Borla Catback
    Stock 18" 6 Spoke Chromies
    K&N FIPK
    Indiglo Gauges
    JimVR4's Remote Start/Top Op Computer

    92 Wheat Beige Metallic Stealth TT (sold 6/14/20 )

    OhioSpyderman Short Shifter (in both!!!)
    SBC-iD Boost Controller (in both!!!)

    Oldest son - 94 Danube Blue VR4 (sold 10/19)
    Middle son - 93 Panama Green VR4

  9. #509
    JNS Engineering verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1994

    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    2,112
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 155 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioSpyderman View Post
    Sorry to hear you're still fighting issues, but would love to see more current pics of the car!!!!!

    Sidenote: I cleaned, covered and battery maintained mine yesterday...have a good sleep...

    Bob.
    There will be no rest for my baby! Trying to get her to a local all Mitsubishi meet next Sunday

  10. #510
    Forum User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2002

    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    990
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 85 Times in 61 Posts
    AX6's dust like SOB's. Awesome pad though.

    Jason

    Silverstone Metallic 94 R2 FD and a Silver 2015 F250 Lariat Ultimate CCSB 6.7PSD
    Sold: Black 99 VR4 and two Pearl White 93 VR4's. Just say NO to FMIC's

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering