Thread: GI for Group Buy: BC Coilovers!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum User verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

GI for Group Buy: BC Coilovers!!!

Hey, guys.

I have set up a group buy to get some BC coilovers!!

What are BC coilovers?

Well, first off. They are a step up from the entry level coilover, Megan Racing. BC makes Megan Racing coilovers as their entry level lineup. BC is a step above or, depending on how you look at it, many steps above.

Here's a comparison (courtesy of ModernPerformance.com):

We’ve frequently heard people say

“BC and Megan coilovers are the exact same coilovers”.

This blog post is to show the differences between the BC and Megan coilovers and discuss the differences between them.

First off, the BC and Megan coilovers do have one huge common factor - they are both made by BC. The Megan coilovers are whats known as a stage 1 coilover and the BC offer whats known as the BC stage 2 coilovers.

Both are very similar, and they share some components between both coilover units. However, judging by the differences we have noticed between the coilovers we give the following recommendation:

Megan coilovers - good for light street use. These are good units for people on a budget.

BC coilovers - great for street use, hardcore cornering, and track use. We feel that the BC coilovers are a better quality unit

Heres why we give that recommendation.

Everything on the BC coilovers seems more solid, and better reinforced. Take for example the brake line attachment difference between the BC in black and the Megan in silver below. The Megan has a single weld vertically attaching the brake line bracket to the coilover whereas the BC has a full radius weld attaching the brake line bracket to the coilover. Although this part of the coilover isnt critical to have this much strength, it goes to show the attention to detail for strength in the BC’s is far better.

Next we’re going to compare the dust boot on the BC to the Megans. Again, this is not a critical difference, but it shows that these items are NOT the exact same item and that there is a quality difference.

Here we have the BC coilovers, look at how the dust boot has a long neck that extends upwards on the strut rod to help keep oil, water and dirt away from the strut rod.

Now heres the Megan coilover assembly. Here you’ll see the dust boot doesnt have a long neck that extends upwards to help seal out the debris. More than likely this will still function very well, but its the extra attention to detail that seperates the BC from the Megan here.

Next we have the lower sleeve that the strut housing and assembly threads into. There are two important things to see here.
    First, you can see that the BC coilover has a much more coarse thread, which will make it easier and faster to make adjustments to the coilover assembly. The Megan has a very fine thread, which makes it take longer to make adjustments to height. Next, you can see the BC has a much longer sleeve which makes gives you more of a range of adjustment versus the Megan which has a shorter sleeve which provides for less adjustment range.

In the next photo we want to show you the difference in welding between the BC and Megan. Look at the rear swaybar endlink mount on both coilover units. The Megan in silver has two stitch welds whereas the BC has full welding along the entire swaybar endlink mount. This may seem trivial, but it shows again that the BC was designed to be stronger, and more durable under abusive driving !

So, again, to summarize, the BC coilovers are definitely built for more abuse, for faster adjustment range, and for durability. We still feel that the BC coilovers are the best coilover available for the money, and feel that the Megans will work well for the budget minded.

Megan Racing rates are 12/8kg/mm.

The best part is that there are different springs available. They come in 12/8, 10/6, 6/4 kg/mm.

Pricing is $925 shipped for the RA version.

Pricing is $1,020 shipped for the RM version.

BR type:

Our BR model is perfect for street driving and occasional road course duty. With easily accessible adjustment knobs for fine tuning your compression/rebound and separately adjustable ride height, having a performance coilover system couldn’t be any easier. You choose how low or high you want your vehicle, no preset ride height here, and our patented concave lower locking ring keeps it locked in. All of our systems come with pillowball mounts to provide the most feedback possible from your suspension and to sharpen your steering response. BC’s available front and rear camber plates also allow you to get the perfect alignment setup without compromise. All this while providing a strong, attractive looking coilover system.

- Mono-tube shock design
    - 30 levels of damping force adjustment, adjust compression/rebound
    - Pillowball mounts and adjustable camber plates included (where applicable)
    - Adjustable rear camber plates available
    - Separate full length height adjustable
    - One year warranty
    - Rebuildable

RM Type:

BC Racings inverted RAM model includes all of the great BR features and then takes it a notch higher. By using an inverted coilover system we move the vital damper fluid away from the detrimental heat sources to avoid overheating the fluid and causing damper fatigue under extreme conditions. The inverted setup also handles high-g loads better and is much more durable under stress situations, such as a race track. Another advantage is reducing unsprung weight by moving the heavy parts to the chassis mounting points. This is a great coilover for those looking to attack a race track, hill climb or tarmac rally.

- Inverted Mono-tube shock design
    - 30 levels of damping force adjustment, adjust compression/rebound
    - Pillowball mounts and adjustable camber plates included (where applicable)
    - Adjustable rear camber plates available
    - Separate full length height adjustable
    - One year warranty
    - Rebuildable

1)vr4_rider
    2)
    3)
    4)
    5)
    Last edited by vr4_rider; 09-24-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    ARGH I was planning on holding off until spring to buy coilovers...lets see what happens haha
    What do these normally price at? By RA did you mean BR? Do you happen to know what spring rate is recommended for BR type use?
    Last edited by x2percentmilk; 09-24-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Charter Member verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Geordon's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x2percentmilk View Post
    ARGH I was planning on holding off until spring to buy coilovers...lets see what happens haha
    What do these normally price at? By RA did you mean BR? Do you happen to know what spring rate is recommended for BR type use?
    $995/$999 is the best I found earlier in the week, when I was looking at BR. Don't know if shipping was extra or not.
    [SOLD] Black '92 R/T TT
    Tein H springs
    K&N Airfilter
    (119,000 miles -- original owner)

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x2percentmilk View Post
    You should buy them now at this price It's even better then what MVP is selling them. They want $1000 (for the BR) and $1225 (for the RM).

Normal pricing for the BR is about $1200. Best pricing for the BR is $1000 shipped from MVP.
    Normal pricing for the RM is about $1400. Best pricing for the RM is $1225 shipped from MVP.

Seeing how the MR has 12/8 for spring rates, and I found those too harsh, I would go with the 6/4.

TP

There will be Blood! verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) CoopKill's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Hmmmm.....

Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

Banned Feedback Score 11 (100%) J. Fast's Avatar
    Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

Thanks
    That's a very respectable price for an RM mono. Which one are you going with again? Best of luck with your group buy.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Hey, Jeremy.

This GB is closed because they misquoted me on shipping

But after I get my car running, I will be getting rid of my MR to get the 6/4kg/mm BC BR.

I'm still looking for people in my CFDS GB though

TP