Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AWS alignment question...

No BS
    Owner Since
    Sorry if you care, I could be lying anyway!

Thanks

AWS alignment question...

OK, I am trying to get up to speed on everything I don't know, and this board seems to be a great place to do it since it will help get topics out there and searchable as well as fill in some blanks for me... soooo:

Does the AWS require any type of special alignment? If it does, do all alignment shops know that, and are they all equipped to do it, or is it something I need to discuss with the service tech when I ask for the alignment?
    Dave

91 Stealth TT- Pampena Stage 2 short block, rebuilt heads, Solid mounts, MBC, Vac reduc, hotwired, Blitz FATT, 4.5" FIPK, TurboXS BOV, Stainless Downpipe, Race pipe, Borla exhaust, AHDS, 500 lb clutch, JDM 25 spline 5 spd/tcase, Short Shifter, EVO leather knob, 18" Mazdaspeed wheels, Front Splitter, in dash touch screen bluetooth/navigation/DVD...

94 3000GT DOHC - Nitrous express proton series w/ upgraded solenoids, dash mounted datalogger, in dash touch screen navi w/bluetooth, IPT end clutch, high performance trans cooler, Translab shift kit. SOLD

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yes, it requires a special alignment. I'm not going to post from memory, but I have the correct way to align the rear end. FWIW, every alignment shop I've been to has the special alignment procedure in their rack computers.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

No BS
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Do you get charged extra because it is AWS?

Man vs 3/S verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    No you shouldn't get charged more.

I have no clue why an AWD car would have any different requirements for an alignment than any other car. Each wheel has its own adjustments and changing one really doesnt have a huge effect on another. They just bring everything to as close to zero as possible anyways.

I suggest getting the lifetime alignment from a Firestone Dealer. I have had dozens of alignments (I get my settings changed back for the street after races) and they always do a good job. Its like 140 dollars for as many alignments you want as long as you own the car.
    93 R/T - Modded, Full Suspension, Full Exhaust, Quaife Diff, Turbo brakes, Alpine/Boston Sound One of 25
    98 VR-4 - Billet 13t's, Downpipe, Blitz EBC, Ohlins R/T coil overs, SCE center differential, SCE oil pan, Pampena braced trans, TEC Rear Strut Bar, Custom Front Strut Bar, Camber Arms, Alum Driveshaft, 2" Koyo, Maximal oil cooler, SAFC2, Defi Gauges, RC 550's, Supra Pump, Skillard Splitter, Hardpipes, XYZ 14" front brakes/Carbotech, 255 Dunlop Z2's, AMR 18x9's, Alpine/Infinity/JL Sound. One of 13

3SNG15 Best overall

"I explode 1 piece rotors" -- ABM --
    Runs 12's (12.98's!!!!!!)
    My Garage

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It has nothing to do with the AWD, it's the AWS. The rear rack needs to be aligned separately from the regular alignment.

No BS
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Firestone is becoming a huge ripoff around here! They tried to get me to pay $500 for crank shaft pulley claiming it was a "dealer only" part, so I called the dealer (Cherry Hill) and it was only $180!!! They had zero explanation why they were overcharging me for the part except "That's how much it lists for in our computer." Also, my co worker went to a different Firestone for a vibration and they wanted to replace his steering rack for over a grand when he only needed his tires balanced, but they refused to do his "lifetime alignment" until he let them replace the rack. He went to a different shop and got wheels balanced and that fixed his whole problem for $50. (I have heard of shady shops knocking your wheel weights off so they can say you have big problems!!!) I refuse to ever step foot into a Firestone again! (sorry for the rant)

Stealth owner since '91
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have no clue why an AWD car would have any different requirements for an alignment than any other car.
    This right here is going to be your biggest problem.
    I got into a bit of an argument at a local shop that kept telling me "Yes! We can align AWD!"
    After asking three times I had to tell the manager to WATCH MY LIPS! I SAID ALL WHEEL STEERING!!
    He got mad and started yelling at me YES! FOR THE FOURTH TIME WE CAN ALIGN ALL WHEEL.... oh. Did you say Steering?!? I'll have to ask the tech...

Make sure they're listening when you ask....

(And no, not all shops have the equipment to do the job. There's a special rig for locking the rear wheels in place..)

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It won't let me attach the PDF of the rear alignment sheet.

It's apparently too big... that's what she said.
    Last edited by DocWalt; 09-24-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
    It won't let me attach the PDF of the rear alignment sheet.

It's apparently too big... that's what she said.
    hahaha.

-Ricer Evo 8: 8.75 @ 166 Best MPH of 167. Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in The US!!!
    -Chris Cessna's Stock short block Evo 8: 9.76@150 Worlds Fastest Stock Motor Evo 8 and First Stock Block In The 9's!
    -Shawna's DD Evo 8: 9.97@143.88 Best MPH of 145 Full leather interior, A/C, navigation, stock brakes, cruisin 9's in style
    -Cory's Stock 7 bolt talon: 10.3@136 No crank walk here...
    -STM Stock turbo/motor Stealth RT: 10.95@127 Worlds Quyickest/Fastest and most powerful Stock turbo/ motor 3S
    -James STM built Pump gas Evo8 stock motor: 10.2@137 Stock long block, and only on pump gas!
    -Mike Faggiano Evo3 16g stock motor 1g 11.0@124 just a 16g knockin on 10's door.
    And the list goes on...

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DocWalt For This Useful Post: