Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting new ECS struts. Am I going to wreck them with Tein H springs?

Charter Member verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Geordon's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks

Getting new ECS struts. Am I going to wreck them with Tein H springs?

I have 110,000 miles on my ECS struts. I was interested in lowering the car, as well. After reading all the coilover threads for daily ride comfort, it seems to me ECS Tour mode is the way to go. I was planning on replacing the stock springs with Tein H for a minimal drop, but have read opinions that this will lead to the ECS struts failing prematurely. If this is indeed true, how soon will they fail? Twice as fast? Even at that pace, I should be good for another 9 or 10 years. Why is it suggested I replace the bumper stops as well -- because I am going to be hitting them more?

Thanks,

Geordon
    [SOLD] Black '92 R/T TT
    Tein H springs
    K&N Airfilter
    (119,000 miles -- original owner)

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You should replace the bump stops because the old ones are likely starting to crumble. You also need to trim them to keep shock travel.

I can't speak for how long the ECS shocks will last, but like you said, even twice as fast is no big deal. Does anyone have solid info on this?
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Forum User verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) MADMarc's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Have you considered doing away with the ECS and picking up some KYB GR-2s?

Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks
    I was considering BC Racing coilovers or even the KWv3, but couldn't justify the price of the KWs at $1900, and it seems the <$1000 coilovers can't offer as soft of a ride as ECS Tour mode. How would the KYB GR-2 replacement be better than ECS?

JNS Engineering verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Jimvr4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I just replaced my ECS struts and lowered with Tein S Tech and H Tech (used both because of Spyder spring rates). At 95000 miles my struts were not returning to normal position after compression but I hadn't noticed ride problems. I expect to get another 100K on these but if I don't I'll deal with it. I suggest you get S tech instead of H tech. It will lower it a bit more and will still ride great.

Mod list (scroll down the page)
    JNS Engineering has your Spyders covered (and uncovered too!!)

owner since 2004 Feedback Score 0 colt45 gto's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    it will not make much or any difference, the shock travels up and down...thats it! so instead of it travelling up and down in the position it has for 110,000 miles it will have a different position thats all. and tien s will also be stiffer than stock so the shocks will not move as much as they previously did.

my answer is, yes its completely safe to do so.
    3si is dead long live 3sgto.org

Forum User verified Feedback Score 6 (100%) MADMarc's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordon View Post
    I was considering BC Racing coilovers or even the KWv3, but couldn't justify the price of the KWs at $1900, and it seems the <$1000 coilovers can't offer as soft of a ride as ECS Tour mode. How would the KYB GR-2 replacement be better than ECS?
    To me the pricing on new ECS struts more than justifies going with the GR-2s. I don't use the ECS in my car as I always forget about it so maybe I am a little biased. They are less than 1/3 the price of ECS struts iirc, but if you enjoy the ECS feature I guess I will shush away in the corner

Forum User Not Verified
    Feedback Score 6 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    keep the ECS. The ride with gr-2s is not that great.

Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MADMarc View Post
    To me the pricing on new ECS struts more than justifies going with the GR-2s. I don't use the ECS in my car as I always forget about it so maybe I am a little biased. They are less than 1/3 the price of ECS struts iirc, but if you enjoy the ECS feature I guess I will shush away in the corner
    I guess it depends on where you buy your struts. 3SX sells the full set of AWD GR-2s for $360. Cherry Hill Triplex sells ECS struts for about $540 (based on their online prices -- I have been quoted less on other parts over the phone). That is 1/3 less, not 1/3 the price. If the sole reason to drop ECS is money, $180 isn't worth it to me. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jimvr4
    I suggest you get S tech instead of H tech. It will lower it a bit more and will still ride great.
    I was avoiding the S.Tech, so I wouldn't have to get adjustable rear control arms.

Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by colt45 gto View Post
    the shock travels up and down...thats it! so instead of it travelling up and down in the position it has for 110,000 miles it will have a different position thats all.
    I just spoke with my brother, who is a mechanic. He made a good counter point against those who say the shorter spring causes earlier strut failure due to it being compressed all the time. He said the strut is always under compression already, as can be demonstrated by jacking up the car -- the body must be lifted an inch or two before the wheel even starts to leave the floor, which means the strut wasn't fully extended to begin with.
    Last edited by Geordon; 09-24-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast