Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting new ECS struts. Am I going to wreck them with Tein H springs?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimvr4 View Post
    I just replaced my ECS struts and lowered with Tein S Tech and H Tech (used both because of Spyder spring rates).
    You bought 2 sets of springs? Which ones did you use where?

There will be Blood! verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Whether you get H or S techs, you may or may not have to install the adjustable arms. It has been hit and miss on what I have read elsewhere. I had the same ??? about 6 months ago and went with S techs, I am wanting coil overs now! Springs and arms are gonna be around $400, and double for for entry level coil overs.

I love the ECS with S techs. You get a comfy ride and when you want good cornering with stiffness. I just want the car lower now and want to autocross soon...

I found the front ECS struts for $126.00 on one of the mitsu parts sites...

My experience,

Bill

Sig is with S techs...

Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordon View Post
    I just spoke with my brother, who is a mechanic. He made a good counter point against those who say the shorter spring causes earlier strut failure due to it being compressed all the time. He said the strut is always under compression already, as can be demonstrated by jacking up the car -- the body must be lifted an inch or two before the wheel even starts to leave the floor, which means the strut wasn't fully extended to begin with.
    yep its all it does, doesn't do much els!
    all it is is fluid that escapes to and forth from one cylinder to another cylinder and back again via a series of holes to slow it down.. nothing magical just a damper. even with ecs its the exact same thing only its controlled by an actuator that opens the holes wider or closes them back to original size.

makes no odds if the strut is way at the top or way at the bottom (provided it doesn't bottom out...but iit cant the spring will become coil bound first).
    3si is dead long live 3sgto.org

Charter Member verified
    Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks
    Thanks for the support, guys. I am convinced enough to go ahead with the Teins. Will only cost me $140 more than stock, as the shop will charge me more labor to reinstall the stock springs over the shorties.
    [SOLD] Black '92 R/T TT
    Tein H springs
    K&N Airfilter
    (119,000 miles -- original owner)

JNS Engineering verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thestealth View Post
    You bought 2 sets of springs? Which ones did you use where?
    Yes, the S Techs are in the front and the H Techs are in the back. With S Techs in back the Spyder would have sat a little too low especially with the top down

Mod list (scroll down the page)
    JNS Engineering has your Spyders covered (and uncovered too!!)

owner since 2004
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordon View Post
    Thanks for the support, guys. I am convinced enough to go ahead with the Teins. Will only cost me $140 more than stock, as the shop will charge me more labor to reinstall the stock springs over the shorties.
    huh?

its the same job! you mean they will charge more to fit a set of lowering springs than they will a set of stock? i'm confused! please explane this to me.... in the shops words!

its exactly the same job to remove the struts and fit whatever springs you want, no deviation from stock to lowered.

if anything they should charge less because the car wont sit as high

Charter Member verified
    Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by colt45 gto View Post
    huh?

its the same job! you mean they will charge more to fit a set of lowering springs than they will a set of stock? i'm confused! please explane this to me.... in the shops words!

its exactly the same job to remove the struts and fit whatever springs you want, no deviation from stock to lowered.

if anything they should charge less because the car wont sit as high
    Colt, you got it backwards. As I stated, the shop will charge less with lowering springs -- my guess is because they won't need to compress them, as the nut will thread onto the strut with Teins without using the compression tool The $140 increase is what it would cost me for Teins minus the upcharge w/o Teins. Make sense?

Maybe, I should just try and do it myself?

Its an easy job to do yourself. The stockers come apart by just getting an air gun on there, pointing them away from you and zapping the bolt off. I have done it about 3 times so far on my own car and twice for friends.

Charter Member verified
    Owner Since
    Sept. 1991

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wraith View Post
    Its an easy job to do yourself. The stockers come apart by just getting an air gun on there.
    I guess that is where I am lacking. I have wrenches and a torque wrench, but my 1 1/2 gal air compressor was purchased strictly for airing up my tires. I have no pneumatic tools or specialty tools.

There will be Blood! verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Make sure you use a penetrating oil a day or two before you or anyone else does the job!!!!

The nut 9 times out of 10 will snap the strut at the top and you will be spending more coin for new ones. If one breaks you should replace both.

The shop will not pony up for busting it either...