Thread: Car started overheating would like some idea's on possible issues.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Car started overheating would like some idea's on possible issues.

Sooo I deleted my AC yesterday (with IPS delete kit) and everything went ok, car started ran no issues for over 100 miles until I saw the temp gauge climb...

Timeline:

I drove into town from my dads (roughly 15 miles) went to see a movie car was fine.

Drove all the way through downtown and then left stevens point headed for Madison.

Got 70 miles everything seemed normal. Stopped at a rest stop and noticed that there was steam coming from my hood.... Checked the temp gauge, looked fine. Ok checked under the hood and there was coolant blown everywhere. Both overflow tank and the filler cap were on securely. Checked all the hoses couldn't really fine anywhere it could be coming from.

HMMMM. I was worried but it was still running normal temp, coolant levels were fine, so I just decided I would try to limp it back to SP as I was only about 20 miles out.

No go, got about 10 miles away from the rest stop and saw the temp gauge start to climb. pulled over and called a flatbed. Got it towed back to my appt and put in the garage.

Looking at it after getting it back off the tow truck, the driver pointed out. Your fan is unplugged..... WHOOPS.

I think I caught it in time where nothing REALLY bad happened. Temp gauge started to climb and I immediately pulled over and shut it off. I can't see anything else I forgot to connect sooo I think I can just refill with coolant and make sure to "burp" it and get all the air out. Overflow reservoir is full up to the top (which it wasn't) so I'm pretty sure there is air in the system.

I didn't hear anything from it but I hope I didn't fuck up the water pump :/ Although the 180K service is coming up here so it will get replaced soon anyways. I don't think I did any damage.

Please let me know if there is anything else I should check. We made sure coolant was full and it ran fine for a lot of miles city and highway without issue and I can't think of anything else it could be.
    Last edited by STiedVR4Guy; 06-13-2011 at 07:29 AM.

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    do you have a fmic? any of you rad hoses getting soft maybe collapsing?? are both fans plugged in, you could wire your secondary one to run with the first one. check and make sure your primary fan is running

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nodoze View Post
    do you have a fmic? any of you rad hoses getting soft maybe collapsing?? are both fans plugged in, you could wire your secondary one to run with the first one. check and make sure your primary fan is running
    No FMIC, stock IC pipes. I believe it was the primary fan that was unplugged. :/ Also my dad sent me a text, was not sure but he said he only tightened the bottom rad hose with a flat head and to double check with a 10mm.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    oooph, I know exactly what you're feeling. My car overheated when I was 60 miles from home, had it towed back, did a rad flush but I was low as hell on coolant due to a leaking overflow tank after the seal froze. I fixed the leak, flushed the rad and gave it some more tries...it still got warm even though my fans were on. Decided that a new thermostat was cheap enough to not worry about it being the wrong fix and after that I was good to go. The thermostat may have been damaged from overheating (maybe) and after swapping it I was good to go again. Just an idea to check the thermostat. They are less than 20 bucks at a parts store...worth the shot. I dont think an unplugged fan would make that big of a difference if you were driving at speed - at a stop is a different question.
    60% of the time, my car works every time.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MADMarc View Post
    oooph, I know exactly what you're feeling. My car overheated when I was 60 miles from home, had it towed back, did a rad flush but I was low as hell on coolant due to a leaking overflow tank after the seal froze. I fixed the leak, flushed the rad and gave it some more tries...it still got warm even though my fans were on. Decided that a new thermostat was cheap enough to not worry about it being the wrong fix and after that I was good to go. The thermostat may have been damaged from overheating (maybe) and after swapping it I was good to go again. Just an idea to check the thermostat. They are less than 20 bucks at a parts store...worth the shot. I dont think an unplugged fan would make that big of a difference if you were driving at speed - at a stop is a different question.
    Ok, that was one of the other things that my dad suggested. How tough are they to replace?

edit: judging from this diagram (http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_vi...dProduct=26719) doesn't look hard at all.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yea, extremely simple. Honestly...I have only come across a couple things on this car that were simple AND not time consuming to replace and that is one of them hahah

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You'll be fine. Lucky you did what you did, when you did. if any hoses were loose or whatknot they would of burst off by now. but yeah, you'll be fine.

One day....it will be on 4 wheels. supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    my car fully boiled and I did not notice for 5km....it's fine.
    Building a House, Car Mods on hold!
    1996 GTO, Owner since 2003.