Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maft + Emu Emanage Ultimate

Forum User Not Verified

Owner Since

Thanks

Maft + Emu Emanage Ultimate

Well I've been running speed density for the last 6 weeks and I had it driving really well, but had a few issues.

The idle had a tendency to surge due to lean/rich spots in the map. I'd get it fixed and it might be right for a day or 2, but after a while it would always go back to having surging issues.

The tip in was never quite right. In order to get it to rev well in nuetral it would need a lot of accleration i/j correction, which in turn would make it quite rich on tip in when actually driving under load.

The idle issue was the most annoying and a while back I ordered a MAFT and a Z06 85m maf in case I couldn't get it solved in time for the NG.

Well last night I installed the MAFT (in 5 minutes!)(draw through) and set its base to 550s and the other low/mid/wot to 0. The car immediately fired and was drivable with zero correction on the emanage.

I set the a/f target back up on the emu and went for a drive. In less than 10 minutes I had the car running better than it has on speed density that I've been playing with for over a month.

I'm sure I was doing something wrong because many people have had success with the exact setup I was running, but either way I am super impressed with the MAFT.

It's default settings provide a driveable tune. It was only a bit lean in the mid range and a bit rich in the top end, but this is the same experience I had with 550s on my car and the stock maf.

Great product, it takes up zero space, requires no wire splicing (if you don't use rpm mode, I didn't because the EMU does my cell specific corrections), runs out of the box, and if I lost power with the 85mm maf I can't tell.

Between the two it is brain dead easy to tune. The a/f target works absolutely perfect when you are still using a maf and don't have to worry about the tip-in messing it up.

All in all the 2 combined are an expensive setup, but to me it is worth it to not be constantly screwing with my idle and tip-in.

Does anyone know if you can disable the a/f target when using the 2 step rev limit? I'm afraid it will destroy the tune if left on. I'll probably have to shut it off once I get the tune perfected.

Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I run selective O2 correction with the Ultimate, if you turn it off between 2psi and 10psi 2-step will not wreck your tune.

I have it turned off under 2000 rpm as well because when I`m loafing around in town I`m constantly on-off throttle in this range and the Emanage doesn`t like it much.

Good info on the MAFT, I use a ported MAS with good results and a solid tune. Speed density is good when it`s all set up correctly but I didn`t have the patience to trawl though it all and heatsoak is a bitch to tune out.
    GTO-TT, PTE 1200's, M20, Emanage Ultimate, OS Geiken R3C,
    TD04-16g`s, Maf-t. 13g`s 12.4@115mph / 16g`s 12.5@117mph.

One fix at a time verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I haven't heard of a single person that was satisfied with speed density on the EMU or had it running perfect like a factory MAF setup. Did you have Stage 3 wiring with a GM IAT, MAP, and resistors? Or were you Stage 2.5 with the hacked MAF for the IAT and BARO?

What's the HP limitation of the 85mm MAF?
    95 RT/TT Billet TD04s E70, DW1000cc injectors, ARC-2 with 92mm maf, 3SX fuel rail loop, hotwired Walbro 416/485, 3" FMIC, single small Krank vent, DR 3.5" downpipe and cat-back, DNP 02 housings, Hallman Pro MBC, BlackStealth LCDBC, AEM wideband, AEM oil pressure, Apexi S1 coilovers with SCE EVO 8/9 adapters, 3SX adjustable control arms, Spec 3+ clutch, Maximal solids/3SX poly motor mounts, Setrab custom SMOC, stock motor 127k miles, stock drivetrain.

Forum User Not Verified

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboSinceBirth View Post
    I haven't heard of a single person that was satisfied with speed density on the EMU or had it running perfect like a factory MAF setup. Did you have Stage 3 wiring with a GM IAT, MAP, and resistors? Or were you Stage 2.5 with the hacked MAF for the IAT and BARO?

What's the HP limitation of the 85mm MAF?
    Thanks for the info Keith!

I was running stage 3 wiring with the stock hacked maf for iat and baro. I think fixed IAT may be the way the go, but I'm out of patience messing with it. Medium throttle and WOT were consistent, but idle was NOT. I think it is something wrong with my car, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out. It has a tendency to cycle in and out of closed loop at idle and during this period the idle will surge.

I've replaced the o2s, but it didn't help. I was feeding it about 31Hz at idle, so that should've been about right.

The MAFT has all but eliminated this unless I go in and mess up one cell.

Trevor was only running stage 2, I don't understand how he didn't have tip in problems since he couldn't use the i/j acceleration map.

I don't know the limits of the z06 maf, but I've seen corvette guys mention it to be over 650. Something like 1200 CFM IIRC. More than I'm going to make. Let me know if you have seen differently.

I de-screened mine, but didn't port out the divider in it. IMHO the aerodynamics of the divider are more important than the bit of flow you may gain hacking it up.

You can only go barely bigger in draw through using the stock bubble. I had a 4" piece stuffed into mine before, but it was VERY tight. The O.D. of the Z06 maf is 3.75", so a 4" maf may fit, but it would be super tight to the point of breaking it if it were plastic.
    Last edited by Chris@Rvengeperformance; 05-20-2011 at 10:14 AM.

LW fears my posts Not Verified
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    I have the MAFT and ZO6 maf as well, and found tuning to be incredibly easy with it. As far as hp goes, you should be just fine running 19T's.

Forum User Not Verified

Owner Since

Thanks
    we'll here are some results:

I checked a portion of the log against another log from when I was speed density log.

AFR is a near flat 11.3 - 11.5:1 across the range. Boost was set the same and afr's were very close, the temps were very close as well:

The seconds are just marks in the log to compare E.T. between the 2 points. First set on left is speed density, 2nd is maft.

3000 1.4 seconds' 522.7

5718 9.1 seconds 530.3

7.7 seconds speed density
    7.6 seconds maft

Boost was 12 PSI creeping up to ~13.5 at redline on the maft.

boost was 10.5 PSI creeping up to a little over 13 at redline on the speed density. I think I was running 4 more on the volume dial on the boost controller on the maft.

Close enough IMHO to show the maf is not a restriction at this low boost level at least. Going to start upping the boost, hoping to hit 18-20 PSI on meth and 93.

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    So is the MAF-T feeding the EMU then ECU or ECU directly? Are you still clamping Hz to keep from going over 100% duty cycle on the EMU?
    '92 Dodge Stealth RT/TT - Aug. 2012 COTM

Forum User Not Verified

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Man View Post
    So is the MAF-T feeding the EMU then ECU or ECU directly? Are you still clamping Hz to keep from going over 100% duty cycle on the EMU?
    The maft is wired right into the maf plug just like it would normally be. I have the maft setup for 550 cc injectors, so it is handling the bulk of the airflow correction.

Then I've setup the emu to do a/f tracking against the airflow adjustment map. You can have a near perfect tune driving around for 30 minutes like this. It was complete driveable from the first turn of the key with the emu's airflow correction at 0 across the board.

There are some more exotic things you could do to feed the stock computer stock hz at lower boost, but its just not worth it to me when I can tune this in a few minutes and have a great consistent tune.

At this point I don't even need the stage 3 wiring, but it is there if/when I want to use it.

All of the maft wiring is under the hood with ZERO splicing or tapping of anything:

Last edited by Chris@Rvengeperformance; 06-01-2011 at 05:01 PM.

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    So, you're adjusting the Hz with the EMU or the duty cycle? If it's the Hz, seems like overkill for what you're doing.

Forum User Not Verified

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Man View Post
    So, you're adjusting the Hz with the EMU or the duty cycle? If it's the Hz, seems like overkill for what you're doing.
    The hz through the airflow map. Yep, it is huge overkill, but I had the EMU already installed and setup. I've found a really good combo that works for me and a great tune is worth more to me than ripping out what I got and going with an safc or maft gen 2 or something else.

It literally tunes itself in 30 minutes. I can also go back to speed density whenever I want just by changing the map.

I also have a 2 step launch rev limit, full timing control, and REALLY good datalogging through the EMU. Plus a highspeed usb interface to it. Lots of benefits.