Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice from the experts!

Need some advice from the experts!

Whether its that low mileage car that sat for 10 years or being a member of the spun bearing club. We are experts at what happens to cars when they sit.

I just picked up a celica GTS with 20k that has sat most of its life in a garage (they had wiring flaws and the starter wiring eventually degrades to nothing, a simple push button start and I was on my way). The car has sat consistantly for the last 5 years.

I started it up and with fresh gas it ran great however the brake pedal went almost all the way to the floor. It has improved with a bit of around the block driving.
    The lady swore the brakes worked when it was driven last, and the pads, and rotors look brand new. There is no fluid leaking that I can see with all the wheels off.

Do brakes go bad or develop air in the lines from sitting? Could the master cylinder go bad from sitting?. I wouldnt think the nice layer of rust would cause no pedal feel like this.

Thermal Engineer- Mmbr Since:8/2005 verified
    Owner Since
    6/2005

Thanks
    Pump the brakes and have someone walk around the car to inspect for leaks.

'92 3000GT Base ATX converted to MTX - Parted Out
    '91 Stealth ES MTX - Fastest NA FWD at NG11 Drags - SOLD
    '91 Stealth RT/TT Check out my blog
    '10 Jetta TDI MTX - 6 speed: 50MPG Highway
    Rest In Peace, My Brother SGT. R. Evans Taylor: Apr 23 '83 - Oct 14 '11

Quote Originally Posted by Alex3000gt View Post
    Pump the brakes and have someone walk around the car to inspect for leaks.
    I did that and didnt see any leaks. There was a tiny drip on the driveway, however I work on cars alot and it could be anything. I went up and down the driveway for 15 minutes and saw nothing else. All rubber and undercarriage are perfect looking, though im still not gonna trust the rubber parts. The

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Could have moisture in the fluid. Or could simply be the seals are stuffed from lack of use?

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Bleed the brakes with fresh fluid. Also check the back of the M/C where at joins the booster to check for leaks. I would say there is moisture/air in the system and/or the M/C is bad.

for 40 minutes work and $20 in fluid, flush it all out first and see how you go.

Thanks guys,
    I was wondering if this was even possible just from it sitting and it looks like it is.
    Gonna bleed them as soon as the weather lets up here. It has been nasty here.

LW fears my posts Not Verified
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    It is said that in a humid climate, the brake fluid can absorb 15% water in the course of one year. After 5 years, there's probably a lot of water contaminating the fluid. Change the fluid and see what happens.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to UTRacerX9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by UTRacerX9 View Post
    It is said that in a humid climate, the brake fluid can absorb 15% water in the course of one year. After 5 years, there's probably a lot of water contaminating the fluid. Change the fluid and see what happens.
    Thats what I needed to know . Wow I had no idea it could absorb so much.
    Also another thing I noticed. I glanced at the reservoir and it was full 80% from the bottom. Well in this car the full line is almost at the top of the cap. I filled it, drove it around for a while burning off all the crap and its definitely driveable just a little soft. I will definitely flush out the fluid I just wanted to see the condition of the car to decide if I wanted to plate it immediately or give it a month of downtime for repairs. I would have already but with the long weekend I cant till tuesday.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The rust on the rotors will give you that feeling as well. I do a few hard stops to blow the rust off. The first time usually feels like there are almost no brakes at all.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    With a the water that has more than likely been absorbed, bleeding the brakes is definitely a great idea no matter what. I would also go aroound all the calipers and make sure all the sliders are greased and move freely, as well as get a brake pad seperator, or just a c-clamp and somewood, and make sure all the pistons are moving in a nd out freely. If you calipers are at all siezed, that will hurt your braking as well.

-Ricer Evo 8: 8.75 @ 166 Best MPH of 167. Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in The US!!!
    -Chris Cessna's Stock short block Evo 8: 9.76@150 Worlds Fastest Stock Motor Evo 8 and First Stock Block In The 9's!
    -Shawna's DD Evo 8: 9.97@143.88 Best MPH of 145 Full leather interior, A/C, navigation, stock brakes, cruisin 9's in style
    -Cory's Stock 7 bolt talon: 10.3@136 No crank walk here...
    -STM Stock turbo/motor Stealth RT: 10.95@127 Worlds Quyickest/Fastest and most powerful Stock turbo/ motor 3S
    -James STM built Pump gas Evo8 stock motor: 10.2@137 Stock long block, and only on pump gas!
    -Mike Faggiano Evo3 16g stock motor 1g 11.0@124 just a 16g knockin on 10's door.
    And the list goes on...