Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New "oem shortblock" probable spun bearing with less then 10 miles on the motor :/

TD04 Upgrade & Billet TD05 Upgrades
    Owner Since

Thanks

New "oem shortblock" probable spun bearing with less then 10 miles on the motor :/

I bought a project car from a member on w3si. He said it had a new oem shortblock. Cool I'm thinking, so I finish putting the FMIC on it and fire it up. I go to drive it down the block a few times, everything is sounding great, check the oil, coolant. Everything looks good. So I decide to drive down the road a bit further and keep in mind this whole time I never went over 3500 rpm and I was running wastegate boost. I was also logging for knock.

I go down the road about 3 miles and turn around. On the way back I'm going about 45. Zero knock the whole time, just cruising at 2k rpm, and I notice the oil pressure is extremely low, next thing I know i start hearing a knocking noise so I drop it down to an idle and coast home.

UPDATE:
    Looked at all the bearings and all of them are good. In fact they look new, which I would expect with only 40 miles on the motor. I'm thinking it could have been a lifter so I'll be looking into that this weekend.
    Last edited by 92RT-TT; 09-16-2010 at 10:05 PM.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    That sucks

If it's a new OEM wouldn't there be some sort of warranty on it?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    are you sure it was a brand new or re-ground crank? it sounds like just the the bearings have just been replaced after a preveous spun bearing.

Tony

"He said it had a new OEM shortblock." But he lost the receipt, huh? Damm, sorry to hear this! Good luck with the rebuild Does it look like a new block??

why did he put a new block in? Could of he spun another bearing, bought the block, and then didnt clean things enough to cause old material to mess up the new one?

Coop

94 Banana VR4
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Did you buy that from Nick?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    If he had a spun bearing before, a new shortblock is only ONE of the many things you would need. To be completely safe, you would need new oil feeds/returns, oil cooler, oil filter, have valves cleaned, have crank checked for scores, and other stuff.

It also depends on what bearings went out.

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyVR4 View Post
    If he had a spun bearing before, a new shortblock is only ONE of the many things you would need. To be completely safe, you would need new oil feeds/returns, oil cooler, oil filter, have valves cleaned, have crank checked for scores, and other stuff.

It also depends on what bearings went out.
    This. If it spun a bearing before and he only replaced the engine without properly flushing or replacing the oil cooler and oil feed lines then there was probably garbage in the system and it cycled back through causing your current issues.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You guys are worrying me about my new shortblock now... I had my heads cleaned so far and i cleaned my oil cooler lines, i also have a new oil cooler going on. Still you guys are getting me worried...

Mods: Evo3 16G turbo's, Titan manifolds, 680cc Denso's, ARC2 w/ large MAS, FMIC, TiAL BOV, DR Stage III heads, AC Delete, Flex-A-Lite fans, 25 row oil cooler,

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Well how about this, if everything goes ok with the engine then you can just give me the GN.