Thread: toluene injection idea

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since
    04/18/2008

Blog Entries
    Thanks

toluene injection idea

so instead of methanol, which burns colder, but is less explosive I.E. you need more of it to get the same power as straight gasoline, what if I swapped the methanol with Toluene, which burns colder, and is MORE explosive than gasoline. I was looking into mixing this in a 7-3 mix with gas to average around 98 octane, but with how much my dad can get me from his work at one time, this is impractical. so what if I buy a meth kit, and use toluene instead. Idk how they work, but if it only kicked in at say 14psi and above, this would work a lot better I think. and as it's alot more explosive than meth, you could use a smaller jet which means you could use a lot less during a pull than you would meth. ....just a thought

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Wouldn't more explosive = higher chance of knock?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    toulene or xylene both work pretty well when mixed with gas to give you an octane boost. Not sure using it like methanol for injection would be so good. Not sure what the energy of methanol compared to toulene is, but your missing a few important pieces. Like E85 methanol requires a much more fuel to air, even more than E85. Though it may have less energy per volume you are using 40-50% more so you actually get much more energy out of it. Also this high volume creates much greater cooling allowing for much better knock control. Bottom line stick with whats been tested and works.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since
    04/18/2008

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7 View Post
    Wouldn't more explosive = higher chance of knock?
    I meant an ounce of gas has less RA, or energy created than and ounce of toluene does.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since
    04/18/2008

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vr3.9 View Post
    Bottom line stick with whats been tested and works.
    This is what they told the wright brothers. lol, I realize I would need a lot more studying to make this actually happen, I just wanted some input on if anybody had tried this, or had an comments, thank you for your input, how much colder toluene burns as compared to how much colder meth burns was something i wanted to look into tonight, as that issue cam to me at work today.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpartinvr4 View Post
    This is what they told the wright brothers.
    Awesome DOOO EEEEEET! I'm curious what type of data you come up with on this.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpartinvr4 View Post
    This is what they told the wright brothers.

They never told that to the Wright Brothers. I mean that was a win win situation. If they crash cool! If they fly cool!

Here are a few things I think. (my experience has been with xylene which is higher octane other than that don't know how much difference it is)

One of the main benefits of meth or meth/water is the cooling affect creating much higher knock control than what the octane # suggests. It adds much more fuel resulting in more power. My experience with toulene/gas mix iseems pretty consistent with gas. More power, but I suspect that is just from being able to run more boost/timing. I made more power with unleaded race gas mixed to 100 octane than I did with xylene mixed to 100 octane and more mods.

I'm sure if you could get it tuned and working properly you would be able to gain some power. Not sure at what point too much toulene would cause a drastic drop in power since I don't think the car likes to run on it straight.

Forum User Not Verified

Owner Since

Thanks
    you may as well grab 2 extra injectors and inject race gas on demand.

Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since
    04/18/2008

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    after some research, much after 25% toluene by volume slows down the burn characteristics too much, and its just a waste of time. "race gas injection" is kind of what I'm looking for. if anything just as a little insurance. say if I run 20lbs of boost, injecting toluene or 100 octane unleaded at say 14lbs and up wouldn't be to bad of an idea would it? obviously i would have to find the right size injection jet, and figure out how much gas is being injected at any given point in time to get the volumetric ratio right, but I'm sure there's a way to use injector size vs. fuel pressure vs. IDC to figure it out . what do you guys think about that?

Forum User Not Verified

Owner Since

Thanks
    the emanage can control supplemental injectors, it has a map just for that. I think that would be the way to go if you want to try this. The only negative is you have to find a safe place to store additional FUEL. You can just pour it into your favorite meth tank and expect to be safe.