Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: JZZ30 Soarer GT35 Single Conversion.

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

JZZ30 Soarer GT35 Single Conversion.

The stock twins on the Soarer finally bit the bullet, they have lived for 178,000km's and lived well.... Until yesterday, I was putting up the highway and decided to teach a Civic a good lesson in manners. Upon doing so though, I started seeing my boost gauge bouncing erratically between 5 and 10 psi. I ran the car home and found that the front turbo had seized, and my stock rad had yet again blown the top tank.

So I toggled my options around landing on a GT35 big single conversion, and stuck with it. I ordered my parts yesterday afternoon and got an estimated two weeks ETA on them.

The first step of it all was to tackle the removal of the stock CT12A's, this was by no means whatsoever an easy task. I swear whoever had them off last put every exhaust stud in with an impact, it took me two hours alone to get the headers off, and another two to wrangle the stock coolant and oil hard lines out. I wish the turbos were done like a 2JZ's on my engine, it would have saved me many hours of grief, but I got them.

Right after I took off all of the charge pipes, and a few other things that were in my way.

Yes, I literally had to take the compressor housing off to get to some of the exhaust nuts.

I tried to come up with a method of draining the coolant after taking out the thermo without getting coolant all over the floor... This was the best I could do.

Finally!!! I got them off, but I can't say I didn't swear while doing so...

Here's the front turbo, I managed to free it up and get it spinning well again, but I say nay to even consider doing anything with it.

And here is the rear turbo... Not much to say here, except now I know which turbo's blades hit my garage door. (This is why ceramic wheels FAIL)

I will post up more pictures as I go about it all, I'm hoping to have this done by the 25th of this month.
    Photobucket

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Nice one. Will be watching this, I have a random front sump 1j in the shed that I want to do a big single conversion on too. You look like you're having more luck than me. When I removed the manifold one of the coolant channels was leaking out white sludge :s

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm becoming a pretty big fan of the 1JZ engine, it's very well engineered and nearly impossible to kill. They also respond to BPU's about as well as a 2JZ Supra. If nothing is broken on your block or head, I would imagine a good soak in diesel and ATF followed by a sufficient rinse would do fine for it. Mine was completely loaded with stop leak and gasket maker when I bought it, and after about 10,000km it's was still going just as good as the day I did the head gasket.

Here for the party Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Have any full car pics?

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'll try to snap some tonight after work Corey, it's in the shop on jack stands right now though. Every full car picture I have of it is with the old orange calipers and shitty ugly wipers and sills.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    That turbo might be a bit out of balance now. lol

I like this car, can’t wait to see it together.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    ...But Steve said it was okay, he told me to just stick a screwdriver in there, snap off two fins and it would reduce some weight and free up some flow for faster spoolup and no idle spin....

But really. Tonight I'll scrub all the crap out of the bay and clean everything up so I can eat off of it, indont want anything going wrong on this lol.

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Parker View Post
    ...But Steve said it was okay, he told me to just stick a screwdriver in there, snap off two fins and it would reduce some weight and free up some flow for faster spoolup and no idle spin....

But really. Tonight I'll scrub all the crap out of the bay and clean everything up so I can eat off of it, indont want anything going wrong on this lol.
    Better to clip your turbo's at home then send them off to some ricer monkey shop.

Member Not Verified
    Owner Since
    '09

Thanks
    Lol at the machine shop, I have all I need in my garage...

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Parker View Post
    Well I'd do what he says then. It's hard to argue with his results, like.......his car idles