Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on battery relocation and accuracy of gauges.

| @/|/| +|2()|/| verified
    Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks

Question on battery relocation and accuracy of gauges.

Ive got a 91 vr4 mostly stock as of now. I relocated my battery to the trunk using 00 cable. My voltmeter reads about 11.3 or 11.7 idling and I think 12.2 with throttle(cant remember, havent been driving the car). Im curious if this will throw the accuracy off of my stri gauges and how much? Also is it bad for the injectors/ecu/EMU(not in yet) or anything else? Is there anything I can do such as a farad capacitor in the engine bay(dont know if it can be near heat) or under the dash. Also would running another cable help with the voltage drop? Maybe a better alternator? Better ground?

Thanks for the help guys. Loving the new website although I still go to 3si for all the archieved threads. Please dont hate, it still has loads of info. .

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

Battery voltage

Quote Originally Posted by terrets View Post
    Ive got a 91 vr4 mostly stock as of now. I relocated my battery to the trunk using 00 cable. My voltmeter reads about 11.3 or 11.7 idling and I think 12.2 with throttle(cant remember, havent been driving the car). Im curious if this will throw the accuracy off of my stri gauges and how much? Also is it bad for the injectors/ecu/EMU(not in yet) or anything else? Is there anything I can do such as a farad capacitor in the engine bay(dont know if it can be near heat) or under the dash. Also would running another cable help with the voltage drop? Maybe a better alternator? Better ground?

Thanks for the help guys. Loving the new website although I still go to 3si for all the archieved threads. Please dont hate, it still has loads of info. .
    I would have the alternator checked. Sounds like it may be broke. Also, did you replace the charging wire with -4 wire? If not, that's a good idea also.

Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    I did not. Do you mean 4 gauge by -4?? I will have the alternator checked. Thanks.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

Alternator wire

Quote Originally Posted by terrets View Post
    I did not. Do you mean 4 gauge by -4?? I will have the alternator checked. Thanks.
    Yes, 4 gauge wire for the wire that runs from the alternator to the fuse box and from the fuse box to the starter lug (which is where the wire actually "connects" to the positive side of the battery).
    The issue is primarily voltage drop in the length of cable, especially the cable from the battery positive terminal. A related issue is current carrying capacity of the wiring. The additional voltage drop associated with long cable runs causes higher current which requires larger gauge wire to handle the additional heat generated.
    Last edited by BaadVR4; 09-27-2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: spelling error

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    If you turn the car on, then turn on the high beams, defrost on rear window, crank the heat, turn on the radio, what is the voltage. Sounds like you alternator is toast or on its way out. Check all your connections first, might be a poor ground or bad connection somewhere also.

-Ricer Evo 8: 8.75 @ 166 Best MPH of 167. Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in The US!!!
    -Chris Cessna's Stock short block Evo 8: 9.76@150 Worlds Fastest Stock Motor Evo 8 and First Stock Block In The 9's!
    -Shawna's DD Evo 8: 9.97@143.88 Best MPH of 145 Full leather interior, A/C, navigation, stock brakes, cruisin 9's in style
    -Cory's Stock 7 bolt talon: 10.3@136 No crank walk here...
    -STM Stock turbo/motor Stealth RT: 10.95@127 Worlds Quyickest/Fastest and most powerful Stock turbo/ motor 3S
    -James STM built Pump gas Evo8 stock motor: 10.2@137 Stock long block, and only on pump gas!
    -Mike Faggiano Evo3 16g stock motor 1g 11.0@124 just a 16g knockin on 10's door.
    And the list goes on...

rawr. verified
    Owner Since
    August 2009

Thanks
    Definitely check your ground connections, that was my problem and it caused a lot of issues.
    vroom vroom i drive a 93 toyota mr2.

https://car.social

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I would recommend cleaning the ground points as mentioned above. I ran into the same issue, then just sanded down all the ground points wether they looked clean or not, and that solved my voltage issue. Places with paint are obvious, but other areas looked normal, but guess sanding them to a polish did the trick for me.

One day....it will be on 4 wheels. supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I got a Gas Torch and soldered my earths to the rail..problem effing solved

then painted over the solder job.
    Building a House, Car Mods on hold!
    1996 GTO, Owner since 2003.

Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
    I got a Gas Torch and soldered my earths to the rail..problem effing solved

then painted over the solder job.
    Not a bad idea.

I scraped off all the paint where I grounded the battery but I will check any other grounds.

And Austin, Ill check the voltage tomorrow.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin@STM View Post
    If you turn the car on, then turn on the high beams, defrost on rear window, crank the heat, turn on the radio, what is the voltage. Sounds like you alternator is toast or on its way out. Check all your connections first, might be a poor ground or bad connection somewhere also.
    Hey Austin, I did this after my car has been sitting for a while. Voltage is 10 with the car off and with the car on its about 12.2~12.4 but Im not sure if this is because she was idling at ~2k and not the normal idle. I think Im going to fix my clutch hose and drive it again for a month because I just miss it so much. I could have sworn it was under 12 though.....
    Are these alternators rebuildable??
    Thanks.