Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice, cheap soldering iron (Aoyue 937+)

Runs on alcohol. The car does too. Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) Intropy's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Nice, cheap soldering iron (Aoyue 937+)

Just thought I'd share what seems to have been a great purchase. I believe in doing things the right way, so when it comes to wiring that means a quality solder job. Normally I would buy name-brand stuff like Weller or Hakko, but this time I took a chance and went with the Chinese Aoyue 937+, a digital temperature-controlled iron like the Weller WESD51. At only $50 or so (1/3 to 1/5 of the price of a Weller or Hakko iron), it's only slightly more expensive than a ratshack firestarter and soooo much nicer.

AEM s2 EMS | E316Gs | E85

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0 marshallh's Avatar
    Owner Since
    6/08

Thanks
    Good buy. They're very much like the Hakko 936 (which I use when I can at school here).

I have a bunch of Weller plug-in irons but nothing's touched my Weller pyropen. I love it so much I got another. The one on the right has seen more than 30-40 bottles of butane through it in 3 years, and the catalyst is just now starting to wear down.

This came in real handy when I installed my car computer. That was a couple years ago, I installed it in the college parking lot a half mile from my dorm. It's so nice to have no cords

One of my next irons will be a Aoyue SMD rework station. I've done tons of smd soldering with the pyropens, flux and solder wick, but there's nothing like picking up a 208pin chip and moving it right off the board.

Runs on alcohol. The car does too. Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) Intropy's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallh View Post
    I have a bunch of Weller plug-in irons but nothing's touched my Weller pyropen. I love it so much I got another. The one on the right has seen more than 30-40 bottles of butane through it in 3 years, and the catalyst is just now starting to wear down.

One of my next irons will be a Aoyue SMD rework station. I've done tons of smd soldering with the pyropens, flux and solder wick, but there's nothing like picking up a 208pin chip and moving it right off the board.
    Nice, I thought about getting one of those butane-powered Wellers. I might have to pick one up now.

I can't believe what a killer value those Aoyue rework stations are. I almost thought about just spending the extra money and getting one.

1st ever COTM and COTY verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) green-lantern's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Intropy View Post
    Just thought I'd share what seems to have been a great purchase. I believe in doing things the right way, so when it comes to wiring that means a quality solder job. Normally I would buy name-brand stuff like Weller or Hakko, but this time I took a chance and went with the Chinese Aoyue 937+, a digital temperature-controlled iron like the Weller WESD51. At only $50 or so (1/3 to 1/5 of the price of a Weller or Hakko iron), it's only slightly more expensive than a ratshack firestarter and soooo much nicer.

but you suck at soldering

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    LOVE my Hakko 936. Love love love it. And I got it super cheap used, but in great condition, on ebay. Doesnt have that nifty solder holder though, might have to make something to copy that.

Generally its always worth getting a temperature controlled "station" instead of those cheapo ones if you plan on doing anything more than one joint :P Really makes a difference.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    but you suck at soldering
    Not anymore! My main problem was the iron, which I now realize after using this.

Not A DSM verified Feedback Score 3 (100%) Polygon's Avatar
    Owner Since
    June 2006

Thanks
    Very interesting.

I still use a soldering iron that's far older than I am.

Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Not anymore! My main problem was the iron, which I now realize after using this.
    Yeah I just had to you for that one time at my place. I use a cheap-O and it can get frustrating at times.

Forum User Feedback Score 13 (100%) Austin@STM's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

At first glance i thought it was a "wire feed" soldering iron, which i have never heard of.

90% of the time i just stick with a butane iron, but the one you got looks pretty fancy, i kind of want to try one now.

BTW - I 100% agree, every connection should be solder.

-Ricer Evo 8: 8.75 @ 166 Best MPH of 167. Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in The US!!!
    -Chris Cessna's Stock short block Evo 8: 9.76@150 Worlds Fastest Stock Motor Evo 8 and First Stock Block In The 9's!
    -Shawna's DD Evo 8: 9.97@143.88 Best MPH of 145 Full leather interior, A/C, navigation, stock brakes, cruisin 9's in style
    -Cory's Stock 7 bolt talon: 10.3@136 No crank walk here...
    -STM Stock turbo/motor Stealth RT: 10.95@127 Worlds Quyickest/Fastest and most powerful Stock turbo/ motor 3S
    -James STM built Pump gas Evo8 stock motor: 10.2@137 Stock long block, and only on pump gas!
    -Mike Faggiano Evo3 16g stock motor 1g 11.0@124 just a 16g knockin on 10's door.
    And the list goes on...

Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin@STM View Post
    At first glance i thought it was a "wire feed" soldering iron, which i have never heard of.

90% of the time i just stick with a butane iron, but the one you got looks pretty fancy, i kind of want to try one now.

BTW - I 100% agree, every connection should be solder.
    lol I did too at 1st glance. I need a new one. I might give this a shot.

edit: Justin, where did you get this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast