Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally fixed my ATX and installed my Translab shift kit!

Owner Since
    Sorry if you care, I could be lying anyway!

Thanks

Finally fixed my ATX and installed my Translab shift kit!

Wow, What a weekend at the Busted Knuckle Garage! Since I am going to keep it, and I decided not to swap in a 5 speed, I had the DOHC up on jackstands for a few days Repairing the end clutch, and rebuilding the valve body with the Translab kit, and I must say this is my best upgrade to date, and it has completely eliminated every shifting problem I had... This is how the transmission SHOULD shift! (I installed the middle pressure control spring which is firmer than stock shifts, but not "race performance" shifts. I am sure if you did the "stock" setup it would still be perfect, just with smoother shifts. I am glad I did a firmer shift, upshifts are exactly where they should be now (especially from first) and it actually wants to chirp a little when accelerating hard into a downshift! NICE! I can't imagine what installing the high performance spring would be like! Here are some pics....

My humble "garage"

Tearing down the valve body

I found little pieces of rubber seal,dirt and carbon floating throughout...

Here is a mountain of carbon I found under the solenoid mounting plate

These are all piles of carbon and debris that were under and throughout the solenoid mount, and the solenoids were all filled with this mud...

This little screen was damaged, but I re-used it because it was still functional, and I had no replacement...

All cleaned up and ready for modifications and re-assembly

There are a LOT of parts to catch! Don't worry, the instructions tell you exactly how to re-assemble...

Plugging this hole and re-drilling a smaller hole was a little tricky, but no real problem

Everything back in with new filter and I was ready for beer!!
    Dave

91 Stealth TT- Pampena Stage 2 short block, rebuilt heads, Solid mounts, MBC, Vac reduc, hotwired, Blitz FATT, 4.5" FIPK, TurboXS BOV, Stainless Downpipe, Race pipe, Borla exhaust, AHDS, 500 lb clutch, JDM 25 spline 5 spd/tcase, Short Shifter, EVO leather knob, 18" Mazdaspeed wheels, Front Splitter, in dash touch screen bluetooth/navigation/DVD...

94 3000GT DOHC - Nitrous express proton series w/ upgraded solenoids, dash mounted datalogger, in dash touch screen navi w/bluetooth, IPT end clutch, high performance trans cooler, Translab shift kit. SOLD

GREASE BUNNY Feedback Score 0 Granny's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    ATX love

They are great when working properly.
    Nice job.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0 $$$PIT's Avatar
    Owner Since
    March 2007

Thanks
    Mines been worrying me ever since I rebuilt my motor. I've never even changed the fluid on my ATX and that is my biggest weakness, I'm afraid. It shifts fine now, but I'm afraid if I get to pushing it, it will begin to fail.
    Where did you get your kit? How long did it take to get the job done?

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by $$$PIT View Post
    Mines been worrying me ever since I rebuilt my motor. I've never even changed the fluid on my ATX and that is my biggest weakness, I'm afraid. It shifts fine now, but I'm afraid if I get to pushing it, it will begin to fail.
    Where did you get your kit? How long did it take to get the job done?
    Hey... seems like there are a rare few ATX's out there that are not prone to failure, and the rare few people who have those sturdy transmissions don't seem to go through the process of repairing those weaknesses..... BUT, that's not to say you shouldn't worry because no transmission will last forever, and if it did go out on you, the problem is that our transmission is not the "norm" and less skilled guys might not do a good job on it... I know because I'm in possession of a receipt for a "full rebuild" of my transmission that was done less than a year before I bought it, and still I needed to modify it to fix these "known issues" that the shift kit addresses... As for your questions, I bought the Translab kit through IPT here http://www.importperformancetrans.co...type-1672.html But, if you google "f4a33-1 or KM175 shift kit" you will find a lot of kits available for our transmission. http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...cts_id=1001052 is a Transgo shift kit for 38.99 http://www.buffaloengine.com/catalog...m175-shift-kit is a VBX shift kit for ONLY $24!!! Not sure of the quality or ease of install compared to the $92 Translab kit I bought (I am jealous of the $24 deal, LOL) But the translab kit was very easy to follow the instructions on, and I took a couple hours one noght to tear it down, and a couple hours the next day to put it all back in. But I like to take my time so it's not like "working" LOL, and I have never cracked open a transmission so it was a little intimidating. I would not call the job "easy" it is definitely doable for anyone with technical and or mechanical skills as long as you have the tools... If you call IPT, they will help, and they offer to rebuild your valve body for you for a considerable amount of money if you ship it to them.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0 $$$PIT's Avatar
    Owner Since
    March 2007

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hotGTO View Post
    Hey... seems like there are a rare few ATX's out there that are not prone to failure, and the rare few people who have those sturdy transmissions don't seem to go through the process of repairing those weaknesses..... BUT, that's not to say you shouldn't worry because no transmission will last forever, and if it did go out on you, the problem is that our transmission is not the "norm" and less skilled guys might not do a good job on it... I know because I'm in possession of a receipt for a "full rebuild" of my transmission that was done less than a year before I bought it, and still I needed to modify it to fix these "known issues" that the shift kit addresses... As for your questions, I bought the Translab kit through IPT here http://www.importperformancetrans.co...type-1672.html But, if you google "f4a33-1 or KM175 shift kit" you will find a lot of kits available for our transmission. http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...cts_id=1001052 is a Transgo shift kit for 38.99 http://www.buffaloengine.com/catalog...m175-shift-kit is a VBX shift kit for ONLY $24!!! Not sure of the quality or ease of install compared to the $92 Translab kit I bought (I am jealous of the $24 deal, LOL) But the translab kit was very easy to follow the instructions on, and I took a couple hours one noght to tear it down, and a couple hours the next day to put it all back in. But I like to take my time so it's not like "working" LOL, and I have never cracked open a transmission so it was a little intimidating. I would not call the job "easy" it is definitely doable for anyone with technical and or mechanical skills as long as you have the tools... If you call IPT, they will help, and they offer to rebuild your valve body for you for a considerable amount of money if you ship it to them.
    That answered another of my questions also. I have rebuilt several motors. But, I've always been intimidated with transmissions. I can usually figure things out. So, that may also be one of my to-do list things this winter.
    Thanks

Owner Since

Thanks
    This was the first time I've ever had a car that the transmission even concerned me... I'm not used to the feeling that today could be the day my transmission decides to give up on me, so hopefully I have exorcised the gremlins forever this time...

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hotGTO View Post
    This was the first time I've ever had a car that the transmission even concerned me... I'm not used to the feeling that today could be the day my transmission decides to give up on me, so hopefully I have exorcised the gremlins forever this time...
    Ah thats how I felt everytime I drove that model ATX, whether GT or Diamante. The hype terrified me.
    These shift kits are a wonderful thing, especially if you do it yourself or can find someone to do it for you for cheap!. IPT makes some great stuff for the ATX.
    If you can get their rebuild kit, torque converter and the shift kit I highly recommend it. Im no longer terrified haha

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    beauty!

i'm knocking on wood that my w4a33 has enough life left in her to last a couple more years of upgrades before i get around to doing a bottom to top rebuild. (not a clue how many miles were on this puppy when i got her). it wasn't until i went tt that i really noticed how much of a difference the pwr button makes for downshifts. econ takes its sweet-ass time going from 4th to 3rd; pwr will go from 4th to 2nd in a heartbeat.

...now if i could just get differential & driveshaft support....

Owner Since

Thanks
    I just did about 550 miles driving the New Jersey Lighthouse Challenge over this past weekend on the rebuilt end clutch and shift kit and I had no problems at all... (knock wood)

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inperfectdarkness View Post
    beauty!

i'm knocking on wood that my w4a33 has enough life left in her to last a couple more years of upgrades before i get around to doing a bottom to top rebuild. (not a clue how many miles were on this puppy when i got her). it wasn't until i went tt that i really noticed how much of a difference the pwr button makes for downshifts. econ takes its sweet-ass time going from 4th to 3rd; pwr will go from 4th to 2nd in a heartbeat.
    How smooth is your 4-2 downshifts? mine worry me sometimes because they feel a little violent at some speeds....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast