Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Fan does what?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks

What Fan does what?

Hello,

I just installed a new set of flexalite fans, since my old ones messed up after 3 years, and I believe I may have wired them wrong.

When the AC is turned on, the passenger-side fan turns on. When the car is up to temperature (AC off or on), the passenger-side fan turns on again.

Can someone do me a huge favor and let me know which fan turns on their car when the AC is on? Also, can someone please tell me what fan turns on, if both, on their car when the car is up to temperature? I have a 1997 VR4.

I'd really appreciate the help guys.

Thanks,

Mike

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Read this thread. I posted a circuit diagram for both fans. Skip page one. Go straight to page 2.

http://www.3sgto.org/showthread.php?...isc.-questions
    1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, HKS Twin Power DLI, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
    Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors.

Build Thread

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    According to the diagram the low speed radiator fan relay is switched on when the AC fan is switched on [via the AC clutch relay]. OS both fans are on when the AC is on.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Thanks for your response. I know the fuses for the low speed and high speed (radiator) work because my AC is turning on and the passenger-side fan works. I switched the fuses between the high and low and the passenger-side fan still works which means my fuses are okay. The thing weird is that my passenger-side fan works for both functions (AC, hot engine temps.). My driver-side fan doesn't turn on.

Basically, I believe the engine temp should be turning on the driver-side fan or both when it gets hot but I am not sure...

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    AC fan will only turn on when the AC is on. Radiator fan will turn on when the AC fan is on or when either of the temp sensors turn it on. One for low temp and another for high temp.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GTOJOE View Post
    AC fan will only turn on when the AC is on. Radiator fan will turn on when the AC fan is on or when either of the temp sensors turn it on. One for low temp and another for high temp.
    Oh ok, I think we are making progress here. So the passenger side fan (radiator fan) turns on when the AC is on, and that same fan turns on when the car reaches high temps? I am just wondering when the drivers-side fan turns on.

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Can;t remember which fan is on which side I just know them as AC fan and Radiator fan. So AC fan ONLY turns on when the AC is one. Regardless of engine temp etc. Radiator fan is controlled by the 2 temp sensors screwed into the bottom of the radiator. Sensor 1 [low speed] turns on at 77 deg and off at 85 deg. Sensor 2 [high speed] turns on at 87deg and off at 95 deg. Also when the AC clutch engages it turns on the AC fan AND the LOW speed sensor for the radiator fan. If the engien temp goes higher than 85 deg then the high speed sensor turns the radiator fan from low speed to high speed.

Hope that makes sense.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    When someone has time, can somebody please check their engine real quick and see which fan turns on for the AC and which fan turns on after the car is running for a few minutes. I need to know which fan is for the AC, and which fan turns on when the car gets warmed up.

My passenger fan is turning on for the AC and for when the car gets warmer. My driver-side fan is not turning on. I am trying to narrow down my issue here.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GTOJOE View Post
    Can;t remember which fan is on which side I just know them as AC fan and Radiator fan. So AC fan ONLY turns on when the AC is one. Regardless of engine temp etc. Radiator fan is controlled by the 2 temp sensors screwed into the bottom of the radiator. Sensor 1 [low speed] turns on at 77 deg and off at 85 deg. Sensor 2 [high speed] turns on at 87deg and off at 95 deg. Also when the AC clutch engages it turns on the AC fan AND the LOW speed sensor for the radiator fan. If the engien temp goes higher than 85 deg then the high speed sensor turns the radiator fan from low speed to high speed.

Hope that makes sense.
    So I think my wiring is messed up then because that same AC fan is turning on when the car gets warmed up. Its the passenger-side fan turning on for both reasons only.

SKADOOSH!!! verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The samller drivers side fan is the A/C fan, the passengers side is the engine / coolant controlled fan. The A/C fan should only kick in at extreme engine tempratures without the A/C on, otherwise the passengers side fan is the only one that should be on. The engnine temprature fan will turn on and run its cycle when the car is first started.

Ahh, Flexalites. they're the same size Same applies though lol.
    Photobucket

11. The Following User Says Thank You to J_Parker For This Useful Post: