Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this CAS toast?

Is this CAS toast?

Alright. I replaced my bad CAS and my car started and ran for like 30 seconds then died again. So I tore aveything back down and found this

It looks like the trigger wheel has carved into the CAS. Would that make it stop working all together?

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    The trigger wheel is likely your issue. If its not in its proper place the coils will not fire at the right time.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Alright, how do I tell if the trigger wheel is out of line?

Here is a pic

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    It's pretty hard for the wheel to be out of place as it fits on the keyway. The fact it's hitting the sensor is prob the problem. It might be too far away from the sensor to be picking it up. Has one of the tabs been bent or anything?
    1990 JDM GTO TT with Vi-PEC plug-in V44 EMS, TD04-13T's, 3SX Downpipe, MP Hi-flow cat, ARC SMIC's, Aeromotive Stealth 340LPH pump, Fuelab 515 FPR, Ninja Performance 75amp hotwire kit, oohnoo fuel loop & rail adapters, Nylon braided ethanol fuel line, NGK AFX Wideband, K&N FIPK, Iridium plugs, HKS Twin Power DLI, Turbo XS racing BOV, 3SX poly mounts, Custom 280km/h speedo.

Waiting install
    Injector Dynamics 725cc Injectors.

Build Thread

Not that I can tell. If you look closely at the picture you can see where the edge of the bottom two the blades are clean, so there must have been contact with something. Also, just to the right of the lowest blade there is a clean ring where the wheel mist've been hitting. Just the the right of the Should I just replace it and the cas?
    Last edited by 3kgt1734; 01-09-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3kgt1734 View Post
    Not that I can tell. Should I just replace it and the cas?
    It's the only way to know if it's causing your issues. So I would say yes. Replace both. Which is a pain cus you have to pull the timing belt.

Alright. Looks like I'm pulling the timing belt then! How fun.

The one. The only. verified
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Are you sure you didnt somehow put the new CAS in wrong causing it to make contact with the blade? Maybe you didnt tighten it properly?

I don't know, I'm just trying to throw other ideas out there before you go pulling the timing belt for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    Are you sure you didnt somehow put the new CAS in wrong causing it to make contact with the blade? Maybe you didnt tighten it properly?

I don't know, I'm just trying to throw other ideas out there before you go pulling the timing belt for nothing.
    I may have put the CAS in wrong. Is it possible to overtighten it? None of this could be my problem, I'm just at the point where I'm going to replace shit until it starts

Here is my other thread where I tried to diagnose my no spark problem.

I think both you and GTOJOE had a couple of posts.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Here's what you do to test the CAS. Plug it into the harness and turn the key on. Pass a piece of metal through the sensor and you should hear a fuel injector click every time you pass the metal through the sensor. If you don't, then the sensor is bad.