Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil in exhaust manifold

1st ever COTM and COTY verified
    Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks

Oil in exhaust manifold

Hey guys maybe you can help me out. I had the car doing pretty well until the other morning. I went out and started it to let it warm up a bit before work. When I came back out a few minutes later the garage was a bit smoky and I could smell it was oil smoke. Since then if I drive it around easy it didn’t really seem to smoke but if I ran it hard or let it sit idle it would smoke a little bit. I needed to pull the transfer case to replace the input seal so I pulled the down pipe and started it up. It was smoking from the rear bank and both sides seemed to have an unusual amount of water/moisture coming out of the pipes. The water didn’t smell sweet so I don’t think it’s antifreeze. The water might be normal but the smoke is pretty frustrating.

So I’m thinking turbo might be starting to go bad so I decide to pull it. It’s a bit dark but appears to be OK. I look into the exhaust manifold and it looks nice and clean except a bit of water drops. Then I start looking back into it and I can see some goop back into it. So then I pulled the manifold and it looks like I have oil running out of cylinder 1 and 5. It’s weird though because it looks like it almost has oozed into the manifold. It’s thick and isn’t coated at all.

BTW I did a compression check before I started pulling the turbo and they were all pretty good, about 150-160. The heads were rebuilt and decked before going on the engine but they had those groves in them from the machining process. I didn’t like to see that at all!

Any ideas? Problem with oil rings? Heads not sealing well? VSS are supposed to be new.

Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    I bet she smells of old mustard and sawdust.
    Jeremy

Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Come on people! Any ideas? I’m very frustrated here!

-BOOSTTD- verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Somehow before I even opened this thread and saw steve had replied I just knew it would be broken ringlands...sorry bud your motor is fucked. Prob all those aftermarket crap parts you put on.

I'm just kidding, I'm not sure what your problem is, but maybe it's possible it could be bad turbo seals still??

Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve68 View Post
    Maybe it's because you won't like the answer.......you've broken it.
    Still 10 to 1?
    Did you notice oil on the threads of the sparkplugs when you pulled them out?
    Or you didn't think to look?
    Compression tests don't show up broken ringlands.

Steve
    No not 10:1 anymore, there wasn't any oil on the spark plugs but maybe a tinge dark around the base but nothing I would think to be alarming. They are about brand new though.

Quote Originally Posted by mh3kgt View Post
    Somehow before I even opened this thread and saw steve had replied I just knew it would be broken ringlands...sorry bud your motor is fucked. Prob all those aftermarket crap parts you put on.

I'm just kidding, I'm not sure what your problem is, but maybe it's possible it could be bad turbo seals still??
    Post it enough times you'll get it right sooner or later. I'm afraid there is a very good possibility he is correct. I'm fishing for hope it could be something else because I know damn well it's a good possibility it could be oil ring/lands before I started the thread. I really hope it isn't though. It's runs great, just a little bit of smoke when it sits and idles or ran a bit spirited.

seize the carpe!
    Owner Since

Thanks
    lol, Are you still running LMI turbos??

GREASE BUNNY
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Did you do any work to the pistons or rings when you put that engine together?
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    Oh Karen, you made me smile today.

Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    It's VSS

-BOOSTTD- verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yippee!! That's good news man! Well, as good of news as you can get when your heads are spitting oil...better than those darn ringlands that break everytime you install an aftermarket BOV. You gonna take heads off and do VSS, or try them on the car?

Owner Since
    Birth

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mh3kgt View Post
    Yippee!! That's good news man! Well, as good of news as you can get when your heads are spitting oil...better than those darn ringlands that break everytime you install an aftermarket BOV. You gonna take heads off and do VSS, or try them on the car?
    I'm not sure yet, I have more info about it but I'm doing some things 1st.

I believe something was making them leak, I'll report back later.

Padawan garage troll Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Evidently vss not as new as u thought. Everything I read on oil smoke @ idle says vss. LOL, I have read enough of the PCV threads so I know that can't b the issue.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk
    91 AWD TT
    K&N FIPK, Precats gutted, Test Pipe, Blitz DSBC, Walbro 255, Vacuum reduction, SM3, MMCd, Krank Vents, 3SX Aluminum Crank Pulley, Aluminum 2PC DS, MAFT Pro (AFC mode atm).

To do list: Need to check electronic timing, install FP hotwire, install PS poly MM, RUACAs, Setrab oil cooler, Dejon Y-pipe, 3.5 GM Mas, FIC 650ccs & 13Ts.