Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAD/CAI for the DD

HID Retrofitter Not Verified Feedback Score 0 3000GTPro's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

CAD/CAI for the DD

To be honest, I don't know if anyone has come up with this yet, but I always wanted to get a CAI without the worry of sucking up water if I ever had to drive in the rain. I wanted something that could be easily disconnected at will, and without having to move the air filter, or use any tools to do so. It would also be something anyone can put together with a few simple tools that I'm sure most of us if not all of us have access to, as well as being a design that requires little to no modification to the body or frame work at all. And I think I have found a way to do it.

I prefer to call it a CAD for Cold Air Duct for the reason the filter is in the factory location, but still sucks in air as cold air intake.

First I used a $10 extend-able aluminum tubing from Home Depot to get and idea of the best way to route 3-4 diameter piping to the air filter, and the overall length of the piping.

Made a custom sleeve from 2 slabs of HDPE plastic cut to shape to fit over the bumper inlet.

Got all the intake hardware I needed from Spectre Performance through my local Pep Boys (cheaper than ordering through their website for me), and got a Weapon-R bottom feed coolant tank to make room for the larger 4 inch diameter flex tubing. I decided to go with 4 inches do to the air resistance that comes with the unavoidable 4 90 degree turns I had to make to connect it to my stock intake.

All of this can be done for about the same or less the the DNP Intake you could buy from 3SX after shipping (apparently they stopped selling it). You can use it various different ways thanks to some of the Spectre products that I have never seen anywhere else, so just about anyone should be able to do their CAI based on their needs from it. This design was inspired by the custom CAI design I saw in Eric's car seen on 3SX. The only thing left to do is get the car on a dyno someday, and see what the difference is. The only results I have is from driving the car on the street, and though small they may be, there is a difference.

There are good cars that get you from point A to point B, and then there are great cars, that get you into trouble.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    That looks cool. I'm wondering since I already have a short ram intake will a cold air wall/box benefit me in any way?

I was looking at these two.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3000g...item45ee6d63ab

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3000g...Q5fAccessories

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    You are not going to see any significant gains with intake mods on a NA.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SOHC View Post
    That looks cool. I'm wondering since I already have a short ram intake will a cold air wall/box benefit me in any way?

I was looking at these two.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3000g...item45ee6d63ab

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3000g...Q5fAccessories
    I suppose the more enclosed box could possibly do about as much as the stock airbox, but all the air is still coming from the same place by itself. I'm sure it could do some kind of good for you with the CAI/CAD, but you wont really notice it any more, if not less than I do in trying to keep the whole thing sealed.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    You are not going to see any significant gains with intake mods on a NA.
    Not sure if you're replying to me or SOHC, but I already said that it's not much. I'm just curious to see what it is doing for me.
    Last edited by 3000GTPro; 11-29-2010 at 06:15 AM.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Its a general response to the whole thread. You are gaining almost nothing.

Owner Since

Thanks
    I feel it does something to make it worth while, when you compare it to everything else out there for intakes.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    I have had a true cold air intake and it does nothing. I ran at the track and ran identical times with a CAI and with a stock intake with an open element filter.

One day....it will be on 4 wheels. supporter Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I run a cold air intake on my car...only helped in summer stop start traffic, instead of going to the front of the bumper it squish's down beside the radiator and sucks the pre pressurised air from the front air dam(in theory)
    Building a House, Car Mods on hold!
    1996 GTO, Owner since 2003.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    I have had a true cold air intake and it does nothing. I ran at the track and ran identical times with a CAI and with a stock intake with an open element filter.
    I can see why you wouldn't have seen much if any difference on the track, because it really is a VERY small difference. However, maybe the reason I am seeing a small difference and you didn't, is because I have done something different than putting the filter down there. I have yet to see anyone make any adapter to catch the air flowing through that area of the bumper. Maybe it's the amount of air that you can get in there, more than the temperature since our cars are computerized to adjust to the temp differences, and may not run as hot as the TT cars do.
    Last edited by 3000GTPro; 12-05-2010 at 07:19 AM.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    You are still not feeling a difference. You are not getting more air than a CAI would either. Its all placebo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast