Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Top / Wingless / Wiper Delete / 99 Sails / Hatch repaint & blend quarters/trim

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) jba3's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Black Top / Wingless / Wiper Delete / 99 Sails / Hatch repaint & blend quarters/trim

Stage 1 of the visual changes coming is done, and I'm quite thrilled!

* AA hatch replaced with a base hatch
    * Rear wiper delete & fill (smooth and shmexy, no black plastic plug)
    * 99 Tail light garnish (previously installed)
    * 99 Sail Panels (previously installed but painted black now)
    * Hatch repainted (it was scratched up) and blended with the quarters and end caps
    * Quarters painted and blended where the 99 sail panels are thinner than the "fake 1/4 window" 91-98 panels
    * Door-line up all painted black (got the idea from BlacktopVR4 and AudibleSilence) - but I didn't do it with spray paint like I did on my evo

More photos here:

repaint20110323 pictures by jba3 - Photobucket

To come (Stage 2):
    * FMIC conversion
    * 99 Front bumper
    * 99 Turn signals
    * 2G stealth headlights

To come (Stage 3):
    * Lowering (Tein S Tech springs on the shelf)

I'm undecided on the rims - I think I'd like some dark grey ones since the white gets too filty on the 100 mile round trip daily commute, and they're a bit curbed up from the previous owner - but I don't plan on any other exterior mods after this.

I did the sail panel install and the hatch swap, and Terry's Body Shop in Purcellville, VA, did all the prep work, wiper hole filling, and painting. I'll get some better high-res pics after the stage 2 / front is done.
    1995 VR4 Coupe

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified Feedback Score 8 (100%) IPD's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    you shaved the 99 sails so they sit lower profile?

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inperfectdarkness View Post
    you shaved the 99 sails so they sit lower profile?
    No, towards the rear of the car they sat out about 1/8" or so further than the stock 95 sail panels did. That left some "wear marks" in the paint on the top of the quarter panel since the 99 sail is a little closer/flush towards the interior of the car than the 95 was. They're stock 99 sails, but they're aren't exactly the same dimensions as the 91-98 are. This was the closest pic I can find:

The 99 tapers a little sharper as it goes from the door towards the hatch, and I had faded/worn paint from the original. Look at the rear of the sail panel, and follow a thin rectangular outline - you can barely see it in the pic, but there was an outline left from the original panels.

-Driftus Maximus- Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    No, when he removed the 91-98 sails the 99 sails had a slimmer profile so the nasty underside that the 91-98 sails and fake "window" covered was now out there to see.

Are the 99 quarter windows the same as the 91-98? I did the R/T sail on the ES and the R/T sails doesn't follow the blacked out part of the window
    Last edited by Nationalmilkman; 03-23-2011 at 09:05 PM.

TT ATX Owner verified Feedback Score 0 Jomojr's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Looking good
    1993 TT ATX "Boostin the 10:1 since 2005"
    TT ECU, DR650s, Port matched manifolds, 550inj, Walbro 255, Apexi SAFC2, Scanmaster 3, 3SX Downpipe, Full 3" Exhaust, 22" Chamber Tube, Magnaflow Muffler, Urethane Motor Mounts, Intrax Sport Springs, Kazera KZA 18x9 rims, ALpine SPS speakers, Infinity Bass Link, Polished intake manifold, Valve cover, Spark plug cover, and various blingy bits, 99 Side Panels, 99 rear center garnish.

Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nationalmilkman View Post
    No, when he removed the 91-98 sails the 99 sails had a slimmer profile so the nasty underside that the 91-98 sails and fake "window" covered was now out there to see.

Are the 99 quarter windows the same as the 91-98? I did the R/T sail on the ES and the R/T sails doesn't follow the blacked out part of the window
    all 3kgt quarter windows are identical. only the r/t's and base/es's differed. i know this for a fact, as i have one of each sitting in my garage at this moment.

unfortunately, neither the r/t or base/es windows actually provide full visibility out the stealth quarter interior panel. i'm still trying to sort out what to do about that...

OP, it looks like you just painted over the gray area in body color, is this correct?

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jba3 View Post
    No, towards the rear of the car they sat out about 1/8" or so further than the stock 95 sail panels did. That left some "wear marks" in the paint on the top of the quarter panel since the 99 sail is a little closer/flush towards the interior of the car than the 95 was. They're stock 99 sails, but they're aren't exactly the same dimensions as the 91-98 are. This was the closest pic I can find:

The 99 tapers a little sharper as it goes from the door towards the hatch, and I had faded/worn paint from the original. Look at the rear of the sail panel, and follow a thin rectangular outline - you can barely see it in the pic, but there was an outline left from the original panels.
    Quote Originally Posted by inperfectdarkness View Post
    all 3kgt quarter windows are identical. only the r/t's and base/es's differed. i know this for a fact, as i have one of each sitting in my garage at this moment.

unfortunately, neither the r/t or base/es windows actually provide full visibility out the stealth quarter interior panel. i'm still trying to sort out what to do about that...

OP, it looks like you just painted over the gray area in body color, is this correct?
    The gray faded area is black now. Nothing that was a gray trim area was painted body color; I just had the body color spots freshened up and and blended since the driver's side quarter panel had some peeling clear coat, and the end caps above the tail lights were slightly different than the hatch, which was slightly different than the side panels, which was slightly different from the front-to-rear pieces of the roof, which was slightly different from the side-to-side rear top of the roof (behind the sunroof). You can see the "pinkish" color of the panel in the top of the pic I posted above, and the gloss on the new sail panels didn't match the fading of the stock 16 year old roof.

Look at the pic I posted above. See the white line that extends out from the tip of the sail panel closest to the hatch? That's the line left behind by my stock sail panels. They were that thick at the back, and the 99s aren't. That may be different between the 3000gt/stealth, I'm not sure.

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I dont know where people keep getting these 99 sails, I can never find them for sale

Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    the r/t sails (i believe) cover that "gray area" entirely. the es/base sails leave it entirely exposed.

and yes, i see what you're referring to now. shame that the 99's still "stick out" a little bit, and don't sit as flush as the "fake windows" on the 91-98's.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since
    Before 3Si.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotron View Post
    I dont know where people keep getting these 99 sails, I can never find them for sale
    Here: 99 Sail Panels (Pair)*-*Mitsubishi 3000GT*/*Dodge Stealth Parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast