Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curing The Ritchness...?

Secret Lurker Man! verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since
    7/10/06 or somethin

Thanks

Curing The Ritchness...?

Do you guys think it'd be a feesable decent way to lean out a Base SOHC by using an Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator and lowering pressure, combined with a wideband to log the air/fuel?

I've recently become disappointed in my cars gas mileage, while it was down, I was drivin the TT and it had a bad O2 sensor and was gettin better gas mileage than my Base...that's BLASPHEMY! ha

I was tryin to think of the cheapest way one could sort of tune out the richness, without goin with any sort of elaborate system.

And just to note, the car is in perfect working order, O2's and all...

I Kill Threads verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) Goallie11's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    You should get a fuel controller, not a AFPR, to control your fuel and get better mileage.
    1992 3000GT VR-4
    DR650s,Denso 550 injectors, Walbro 255, Emanage Blue,3SX Cat Eliminator Downpipe,Short Shifter,DNP Hardpipe Kit,HKS SSQV,Underdrive pulley,Carbotech slotted rotors,RPS Lightweight Flywheel, Maximal Solid Mounts

Forum User Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Provided the ecu doesn't trim your adjustments out, you will use less fuel if you do that, but you will lean it out across the board ant that may not be a good thing. The afpr also may not raise pressure exactly like the stock one. You will just about always want some sort of fuel controller with a afpr though. You could try it, but you would probably want to monitor the wideband to see what's going on and it may be a good idea to datalog for knock to make sure it isn't getting too lean anywhere.

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    What kind of mileage are you getting? In this colder weather with letting the car idle longer in the mornings I am still getting 23 mpg out of my SOHC. When it was warmer I got over 25 mpg.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Owner Since
    7/10/06 or somethin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goallie11 View Post
    You should get a fuel controller, not a AFPR, to control your fuel and get better mileage.
    True, except this is my SOHC DD and not wanting to put that much money into it, I was tryin to stay as cheap as possible and cure the richness and get rid of the brown out the tail pipe on my white bumper as well ha

Quote Originally Posted by RL7 View Post
    Provided the ecu doesn't trim your adjustments out, you will use less fuel if you do that, but you will lean it out across the board ant that may not be a good thing. The afpr also may not raise pressure exactly like the stock one. You will just about always want some sort of fuel controller with a afpr though. You could try it, but you would probably want to monitor the wideband to see what's going on and it may be a good idea to datalog for knock to make sure it isn't getting too lean anywhere.
    No knock sensor on the SOHC, but that's what I was kind of thinking would happen, I know these cars run pig rich at idle/bottom end not sure about upper RPMs, but if it leaned out across the board, it might be ok, I'd guess they run rich across the entire RPM band

Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    What kind of mileage are you getting? In this colder weather with letting the car idle longer in the mornings I am still getting 23 mpg out of my SOHC. When it was warmer I got over 25 mpg.
    I don't think I'm gettin anywhere close to that, I haven't monitored it in awhile, I just hate the brown bumper and when I'm sittin in my car while it's warming up, I can actually watch the gas needle move after like 10-15mins...I'd say I'm gettin around 20mpg maybe...maayybbee and I know if I completely floor it, it sucks the gas down as well

I was just thinkin their could be a possible simple solution that's not too costly, I was even thinking maybe a resistor or something inbetween the O2 and ECU to change the voltage just a little bit to lean out the entire RPM range, but I guess, first step would be to install a wideband and see how rich it really is across the board

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    If you are getting that poor of mileage then something is in fact wrong. Instead of trying to mask a problem you need to find the problem and fix it.

What year is the SOHC? You have just one o2 sensor? If so is your flex section in good shape? Also how do you know the o2 sensor is good? Just because there isn't a CEL doesn't mean the o2 is functioning as it should.

There will be Blood! verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) CoopKill's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthee View Post
    If you are getting that poor of mileage then something is in fact wrong. Instead of trying to mask a problem you need to find the problem and fix it.

What year is the SOHC? You have just one o2 sensor? If so is your flex section in good shape? Also how do you know the o2 sensor is good? Just because there isn't a CEL doesn't mean the o2 is functioning as it should.
    X2 on all of the above.

I had no cell with runnig a bad o2 for 2 months. I would suggest looking for vaccum leaks as well. I f the mas thinks the air is there and a vacuum leak is evacuating it...

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Tapatalk Bitches!

Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

Owner Since
    7/10/06 or somethin

Thanks
    I have a narrow band gauge...so I know it's cycling as it should, I know O2's can sometimes be funky in determining faulty or not, I just dealt with my dads TT and it took me a month to finally see it and some hard driving to make it throw a CEL. It's a '95 and one O2, exhaust is all in good shape, running a test pipe, I was thinkin of replacin the O2 since it's the original, it might help, the car has always ran this way since I've owned it 60k and now has 133k and nothin's changed and when I first got the car I started logging things to see if anything might be bad like the O2 and everything checked out fine

On a side note, happy new year ha, I can't believe there's other people actually up and not hungover ha

There will be Blood! verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) CoopKill's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Happy NewYear back! I'm on call at work and the dumbasses must have turned down any emergencies. Not happy...

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Tapatalk Bitches!

Owner Since
    7/10/06 or somethin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoopKill View Post
    X2 on all of the above.

I had no cell with runnig a bad o2 for 2 months. I would suggest looking for vaccum leaks as well. If the mas thinks the air is there and a vacuum leak is evacuating it...
    There's not much for vacuum leaks on a SOHC, I got rid of all the vac stuff, not that there was a lot to begin with, but there's about two vac hoses, one for FPR and one for cruise control? I can't remember but there's no vac leaks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast