Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: MSI > Everything else

  1. #11
    Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,490
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked 543 Times in 390 Posts
    anything P4 will overheat. true story.

  2. #12
    Dad verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    01 Apr 03 - Jokes on me

    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    293
    Thanks
    124
    Thanked 178 Times in 121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Computer blood?
    Assuming some transformer or something in there. I didn't spill anything on it. Just one day it wouldn't turn on and i noticed that. I opened the HDD/RAM panel, and I could see this stuff all over the RAM and motherboard.


  3. #13
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Owner Since
    2010

    Location
    Decatur, TN
    Posts
    1,671
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 71 Times in 60 Posts
    Well I've had 2 Asus gaming laptops (in a 15" and 17" variety), currently have an HP Envy 15". Has an i7 and 5870m mobile graphics, and it gets hot enough to literally burn someone. Picked it up used off of eBay for 600 bucks and I've gotten about 2 years out of it so far. Only reason I even got a powerful laptop was because at the time I had a 5gb data limit from my verizon 3g internet, so I wanted something strong enough to game on when I went places with wifi (like school or visiting my parents in NY.) Now that I've moved up by campus and have real internet, that's not an issue anymore, but likely won't sell the HP just because buying a smaller lighter one to replace it would probably cost as much as I could sell the HP for.

    I'd still take my desktop over any laptop though.
    Mods: 2g 3k body conversion, 2g Brake upgrade, Rota P45R rims
    Projects: Interior sound deadening, 14Bs, forged bottom end, custom radiator and sound mounts

  4. #14
    DR-750 club Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    I could drive.

    Location
    Portland, Texas
    Posts
    2,546
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 172 Times in 124 Posts
    The HP Envy's are nice. I order those for our VP's in my office.
    July 2014 COTM
    We follow the earth. The earth follows the stars. The stars know their way and though the body dies. The stars will remain, like the waves of the sea and restless slate.

  5. #15
    Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,490
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked 543 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickS VR4 View Post
    Assuming some transformer or something in there. I didn't spill anything on it. Just one day it wouldn't turn on and i noticed that. I opened the HDD/RAM panel, and I could see this stuff all over the RAM and motherboard.
    how ironic that a 3/s owner would have similar problems with pc to what 50% of 3/s owners have with their ecu's....

  6. #16
    Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    6,490
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thanks
    483
    Thanked 543 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sergechronos View Post
    Well I've had 2 Asus gaming laptops (in a 15" and 17" variety), currently have an HP Envy 15". Has an i7 and 5870m mobile graphics, and it gets hot enough to literally burn someone. Picked it up used off of eBay for 600 bucks and I've gotten about 2 years out of it so far. Only reason I even got a powerful laptop was because at the time I had a 5gb data limit from my verizon 3g internet, so I wanted something strong enough to game on when I went places with wifi (like school or visiting my parents in NY.) Now that I've moved up by campus and have real internet, that's not an issue anymore, but likely won't sell the HP just because buying a smaller lighter one to replace it would probably cost as much as I could sell the HP for.

    I'd still take my desktop over any laptop though.
    sounds like your HP is similarly spec'd to my GX660R. 5870 is a fantastic GPU, btw...stable as a mutherfucker. HP's are all clevo's though. Just like Dell's, Alienware, etc.

  7. #17
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Owner Since
    2010

    Location
    Decatur, TN
    Posts
    1,671
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 71 Times in 60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IPD View Post
    sounds like your HP is similarly spec'd to my GX660R. 5870 is a fantastic GPU, btw...stable as a mutherfucker. HP's are all clevo's though. Just like Dell's, Alienware, etc.
    Oh it's a fantastically quick laptop, and plenty of grunt to get shit done. unfortunately with a metal case and just a handful of vents around the sides, it really can't evacuate enough air, especially since the i7 is one of the first gens and the 5870 is well..a 5870. Both components are known for running hotter than hell.

  8. #18
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

    Location
    Royersford, PA
    Posts
    3,814
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    1,059
    Thanked 442 Times in 317 Posts
    I like MSI, but I've had strange issues with some of their stuff. I currently have an EVGA card, but I've had issues with one of EVGAs motherboards.

    Luck of the draw with any of the big name manufacturers at this point, IMO. If you buy the cheapo brands, good luck.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝
    - 24

  9. #19
    Member verified
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Owner Since
    2010

    Location
    Decatur, TN
    Posts
    1,671
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thanks
    57
    Thanked 71 Times in 60 Posts
    Got an email back from MSI regarding my RMA for my HD7950.
    They don't have any stock and are offering me $280. Far less than I paid for the card and would only allow me to afford a gtx760 or r9 270x, both of which are downgrades. NOT happy with MSI atm.

    Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

  10. #20
    Southernmost 3S Owner supporter
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    1996

    Location
    Key Largo, FL
    Posts
    1,049
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 199 Times in 129 Posts
    What we really need to know is, does it download your porn quickly?


    2015 NG: Best in Show. Best Custom Interior. Best Custom Exterior. 2nd place,Best Engine Bay. 2nd place,Best 1st Gen. 2nd place,Longest distance driven. 3rd place, Coolest Accessories. 3rd place, Autocross Class 2
    2014 NG: Best in Show. Best 1st Gen. 2nd place, Best Interior. 2nd place, Furthest Distance Driven. 3rd Place, Peoples Choice. 3rd place, Best Engine Bay. 3rd place, Best Custom Exterior
    2013 NG: 1st place, FWD Drags
    2011 NG: Best Overall and Best 1st Gen. 3rd place Autocross FWD Modified and FWD Drags
    2009 NG: Best 1st Gen 3S and Best Interior. 3rd place, Autocross, FWD Modified.

    Mods include 18in. Moda wheels and BF Goodrich KDW's, Tein Flex suspension, R1 Concepts rotors, 3SX stainless steel engine dress up kit. Blue/black carbon fiber 575 hood, VLS and a full RT conversion. Audio mods include a Kenwood DVD touch screen HU, Kenwood speakers, Memphis audio 5 channel amp and 12" Subs. Corbeau Leather seats, carbon fiber dash trim and HID upgrade.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive
Jim's (RED3KGT) Reststop
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering