PDA

View Full Version : Voltage Regulator is the Perp - Alternator

license to ill
10-01-2012, 11:54 AM
I was driving to work and noticed a whining that was consistant with rpm's. My first thought was that it was comming through the speakers so I turned off the stereo and it was still present. Thats about the time I noticed that my volt meter was through the roof! I also noticed that my lights didnt work anymore and my stereo cut out when it was on if the rmps got too high.

I'm thinking im going to take apart the alternator and see what condition the brushes are in. Is it possible that if the brushes are too worn that I will get voltage too high? Or is what im looking at is that the brushes may be fine but the regulator is not limiting output?

Pricing I got from Porcaro Mitsu with the DSM club discount is as follows:

Alternator ---------- $282
Regulater + Brushes - $175

regulater + brushes needs to be ordered from Japan.

Any insight?

Thanks,

Joe

Blackmount
10-01-2012, 01:13 PM
Had same issue. Just bought used alt for 50$ on ebay

how far r u from Rockford IL?

BlackStealth
10-01-2012, 01:28 PM
I was going to rebuild my alternator but did not go that route. Here's what I have

New Brushes + Voltage Regulator + Diodes. You can have it all for $75 shipped. Contact me if you're interested.
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/blackstealth_2009/Picture216.jpg

license to ill
10-01-2012, 02:14 PM
I live in the Northwest Chicago suburbs so Rockford is only 50 miles probably. Why do you ask Blackmount? I just decided to get one from napa today, even though I hate buying from napa, because of constraints with time and my job and the lack of availablity of another car. If I decide I want to rebuild my stock part in the future I'll remember to contact you Blackstealth.

BTW I found out that if the brushes were worn, it would make for a low reading, not high.

Jimvr4
10-01-2012, 04:20 PM
I was going to rebuild my alternator but did not go that route. Here's what I have

New Brushes + Voltage Regulator + Diodes. You can have it all for $75 shipped. Contact me if you're interested.
http://i782.photobucket.com/albums/yy107/blackstealth_2009/Picture216.jpg

Can you PM where you found these? I rebuilt mine years ago and thought the parts sources may have dried up.

BaadVR4
10-01-2012, 04:55 PM
If you buy a re-built from either O'Reilly's or Advance, they come with a lifetime warranty. I'm on my third or fourth from O'Reilly's, and my second from Advance. (That's on 4 cars).

license to ill
10-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Thats good info to know. I just went with NAPA because the company I work for has an account with them. I'm not impressed with the quality of work from napa remanufactured products. I have had 2 cv boots fail as well as a starter from napa. Lets see if we can add an alternator to the list.

BlackStealth
10-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Can you PM where you found these? I rebuilt mine years ago and thought the parts sources may have dried up.
I purchased the parts three years ago from two different suppliers. I don't recall from where.

wingnut
10-05-2012, 01:00 PM

Nah, I rebuilt mine 2 years ago and then rebuilt another last year for backup...

...any good electric shop can get both the rectifier and regulator :D

speedy25
11-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Auto electric shops are fewer and harder to find these days, but they are the best for getting internal parts. I always enjoyed replacing the diodes I bought for $6 to repair an alternator that was $160 rebuilt!! Dont forget new bearings when you replace the "innards."

Lifetime warranty is still a pain if you have to R+R a part multiple times. I would rather do the job once.

-SP

wingnut
11-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Lifetime warranty is still a pain if you have to R+R a part multiple times. I would rather do the job once.

-SP

Ditto...i caught a lot of flack for saying that not long ago, but if the part is a piece of crap, having a "lifetime warranty" means nothing to me if i gotta keep replacing it :D