PDA

View Full Version : Got the VR4 back from the body shop.

JohnnyTurbo
09-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Well, after 9 weeks at the body shop, we got the '91 VR4 back on Friday afternoon. When I got the car on Memorial Day, it had a severely damaged roof panel that I adjusted my buying price vs. asking price from the seller. We had most of the dents popped out for the NG, but as fate would have it, Chris was going through some rough construction highway in Speedway when the hood popped up and flipped back smacking the roof again. The hinges were twisted and several sections of the 'glass hood were broken off the hood. We did emergency repairs to get back to Ohio and it went right to the body shop.
According to the body shop owner, he was initially told there were 6 new OEM roof panels left in the states, but when it came down to it, we got the very last new OEM roof section (non sunroof). THe inexpensive 'glass hood was on a long back order, so we opted to go with a SEIBON DVII CF hood and man is that hood sweet. Pics below.

TT4ME
09-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Is the hood supposed to fit like that?

Massive gaps.

stealthify
09-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Sounds like you lucked out on getting that roof. Congrats on getting your car back!

JohnnyTurbo
09-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Is the hood supposed to fit like that?

Massive gaps.There is an interference in the passenger shock tower area due to intercooler piping and BOV that have to be tweaked. The big gap in the pass. side is due to the hood not being allowed to fully close. The Body shop, due to everything being aftermarket, would not touch the interfering items and left that to us. With everything removed, the hood closes fully and the gaps are normal. They also said that the fenders were mounted in a substandard way and suggested that when we install the '99 buckets over the winter that we have the fenders realigned properly. There was a lot of back yard body work done on this car and we are slowly attacking it one area at a time.
The back hatch was another hokey body shop fix. The AA wing was removed and holes sub-standardly covered and filled and then two different wings were bolted to drilled holes in the hatch over time and one set was hap-hazardly covered and the others were duck taped. Our guy ground out most of the mud, sealed the holes and re-skimmed the flat part of the rear deck. Now everything is smooth & shiney and the color matches perfectly.

IPD
09-10-2012, 04:47 AM
i lol every time i see that backwards vent on that knockoff hood.

JohnnyTurbo
09-10-2012, 09:39 AM
i lol every time i see that backwards vent on that knockoff hood. I do not understand your comment or observation. I have an honest to goodness real pit road M carbon fiber hood in my garage off of my stealth TT And it is identical to this
SEIBON hood. And as far as knockoff goes, The quality equals or exceeds that of pit road M.

TT4ME
09-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Looking sharp. Odd that the intercooler piping hits the hood, I hope you get that all squared away!

BTW, are you going to do hood pins or do you have some sort of hidden backup attachment?

IPD
09-10-2012, 01:02 PM
I do not understand your comment or observation. I have an honest to goodness real pit road M carbon fiber hood in my garage off of my stealth TT And it is identical to this
SEIBON hood. And as far as knockoff goes, The quality equals or exceeds that of pit road M.

genuine pit-road-m hood. both openings are vents:

http://image.importtuner.com/f/10108071/0805_impp_22_z+mitsubishi_gto+pit_road_m.jpg

there are some knockoffs with this correct style apparently now. this style allows for venting from both front & rear turbos.

this is the knockoff. the rear is effectively a scoop, not a vent. you are essentially forcing the hot air ejected from the front vent, directly back into the engine bay:

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/images/HD9498MITGT-DVII.jpg?osCsid=c1d2381fb84e279b7186cdf010b5fe77

as far as i know, the GENUINE pit-road-m design NEVER had a backwards vent. i hate to say it, but if yours is supposedly genuine, i think you got scammed.

JohnnyTurbo
09-10-2012, 07:42 PM
I hate it as much as everyone else when IPD is correct on something, but I give credit where credit is due. I went in to my pole garage and uncovered the PRM hood from my stealth and IPD is corect on the vent placement. I looked at the hood one time before I put it in storage in the garage attic and really thought the SEIBON & PRM hoods were identical. Here is a pic of the PRM hood w/inset of the label on the underside. The blue hood is a second gen VIS CF hood.

stealthify
09-10-2012, 07:53 PM
I hate it as much as everyone else when IPD is correct on something, but I give credit where credit is due.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. :p

jk ;)

IPD
09-10-2012, 08:01 PM
so much love....i could put strychnine in the guacamole.

fullracegt
09-10-2012, 11:19 PM
i have the prm carbon fiber doors and have seen siebon carbon doors on a 95 rx7 they fit like shit and werent pre drilled according to the owner,the prm doors are almost a perfect replica of the oem doors
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h372/fullracegt/149867_163440830360584_100000840036344_274419_5262 670_n.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h372/fullracegt/2011-06-13_11-39-31_411.jpg
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h372/fullracegt/75846_163440900360577_100000840036344_274422_60643 89_n.jpg

JohnnyTurbo
09-11-2012, 10:33 AM
1) I'm talking about hoods, not doors and the SEIBON hood is as good as the PRM hood in my possesson.
2) compare a 3S PRM door to a SEIBON CF door in person, not third party review of another part number for a different car.
3) back to hoods.

Alan92RTTT
09-11-2012, 10:36 AM
I hate it as much as everyone else when IPD is correct on something, but I give credit where credit is due.

Only thing that i can see as being worse is if mike2nd is ever right about something. :eek2:

green-lantern
09-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Looks real good but please get that hood down and put some hood pins in before it pops up again.

IPD
09-11-2012, 12:45 PM
Only thing that i can see as being worse is if mike2nd is ever right about something. :eek2:

the apocalypse, fascism, terrorism, justin bieber....nope, i'm way worse than all of these things combined. :35:

IronmanTT
09-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Paint job looks real good but....... #1 hood gap issue #2 hood does seem right on that color #3 the gap with the 3kgt headlights and 99 corners really bother me for some reason.. oh well.. :p

JohnnyTurbo
09-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Paint job looks real good but....... #1 hood gap issue #2 hood does seem right on that color #3 the gap with the 3kgt headlights and 99 corners really bother me for some reason.. oh well.. :pWithout trying to offend anyone too much, the car was done in Arkansas, I towed it back to Ohio on Memorial day. There is a lot of issues where the previous owner just hillbillied it all up. The car won't be driven without hood pins, aerocatch are on order. The fenders have sheet metal screws in them at various locations, the second gen headlights were cut on the bottoms to fit the pop up buckets and will be replaced by '99s or robo stealth units. Several sets of holes in the deck lid from ironing board wings were taken care of by our bodyshop. I have the '99 buckets & rad support to put in this winter and the whole front clip will be reassembled and realigned to pull all the gaps into place. A lot of work to be done when I got it, but the price was right for the rebuilt engine w/forged internals and 16G turbo system. The ASFC II is being replaced by AEM EMS V1.0 coming in the mail this week. This is originally a Plano TX car and is totally rust free down to the axle shafts and underbody bolts.

green-lantern
09-11-2012, 08:39 PM
The fenders have sheet metal screws in them at various locations

:eek4:

JohnnyTurbo
09-11-2012, 11:13 PM
:eek4:Yeah, the second gen headlights are nailed down with sheet metal screws instead of the correct bolts and some of the fender bolts are missing and a hole was drilled close to the bolt hole and a sheet metal screw inserted to fasten the fender. Without stepping on toes, all I can say is that kind of shit ain't done in my neighborhood by people I know. From radio install to interior trim to body work, this car's previous owner thought outside the box of normality.

james92tsi
09-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Sounds a lot like the Fiji VR-4 I got my hands on (at a steal) hoping to transplant my red car's setup into when my chassis was tweaked from an agricultural excursion at TWS.

Ended up getting a second opinion on Red and got her straightened, but if I had to swap to the Fiji car it would've been a nightmare all over. Hacks upon hacks upon hacks....

There is something to be said for finding a bone-stock unmolested car. I've been lucky enough to find that twice (my Talon, may it rest in pieces, and my VR-4).

Kudos to you for taking on a science project and doing it right.

JohnnyTurbo
09-13-2012, 11:45 PM
Sounds a lot like the Fiji VR-4 I got my hands on (at a steal) hoping to transplant my red car's setup into when my chassis was tweaked from an agricultural excursion at TWS.

Ended up getting a second opinion on Red and got her straightened, but if I had to swap to the Fiji car it would've been a nightmare all over. Hacks upon hacks upon hacks....

There is something to be said for finding a bone-stock unmolested car. I've been lucky enough to find that twice (my Talon, may it rest in pieces, and my VR-4).

Kudos to you for taking on a science project and doing it right.Thanks, it is a good solid car and it will be done right when we get finished. (Like anyone could actually finish one of these) We pulled out a pile of wire from the stereo install that covers a 3' x 3' board about 1' high. The old skool Kenwood alarm is next and it is splice city into the wiring harness and will probably be another 8 pounds of wire with all the sensors and remote boxes.