PDA

View Full Version : What's a stock second gen hood cost?

JohnnyTurbo
07-19-2012, 03:40 PM
THe hood flew up on the 91 VR4 at the NG and it got busted & we did a quicky patch to get it home. I'm trying to find out what a body shop would have to pay to replace a damaged stock hood on a second gen. I know that for a car our age, the insurance companies only go for used hoods, not new. So does anyone have an idea what an insurance company would be willing to pay to replace the stock hood. They already agreed that they would replace the fiberglass hood, we're trying to figure out what price point they would agree to. I was thinking that if they were willing to pay $xx for a stock hood, they should be willing to pay $xx for a fiberglass hood.

vroom4
07-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Show them a receipt of what you payed? For a stock 2g hood the insurance payed out about 160 shipped+paint for me....6 years ago.

Chris@Rvengeperformance
07-19-2012, 04:11 PM
go to any body shop and ask them what the book on the hood and paint is.

NOMIEZVR4
07-19-2012, 05:22 PM

stealthify
07-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Free?

People seem to just give them away. Storing or shipping them is a PITA. :p

If you're just looking to collect an insurance check, I would suggest getting quotes from a few different body shops. With their prices, you're bound to get a more expensive quote (from which you can give to your insurance company).

JohnnyTurbo
07-19-2012, 07:07 PM
Free?

People seem to just give them away. Storing or shipping them is a PITA. :p

If you're just looking to collect an insurance check, I would suggest getting quotes from a few different body shops. With their prices, you're bound to get a more expensive quote (from which you can give to your insurance company).Not looking to get a check from them. They located a new roof panel that will be welded in to fix the damage from the hood smacking the roof and the body shop said no problem getting the aftermarket hood replaced. We were just wondering if the insurance co. would spring for a $500 hood instead of the $250 hood that seems closest in looks to the one that was on the car. The hood was on the car when purchased, so not really sure where it came from.

stealthify
07-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Not looking to get a check from them. They located a new roof panel that will be welded in to fix the damage from the hood smacking the roof and the body shop said no problem getting the aftermarket hood replaced. We were just wondering if the insurance co. would spring for a $500 hood instead of the $250 hood that seems closest in looks to the one that was on the car. The hood was on the car when purchased, so not really sure where it came from.

I've only had to file one insurance claim (some lady backed into me), but the way it worked for me was that I simply faxed in an official quote from the body shop (parts included, aftermarket or not). From there, the insurance company signed off on it.

Some insurance companies might be stricter than others on how this policy works. I'd suggest just calling and asking them.

RealMcCoy
07-20-2012, 01:11 AM
You have to convince the insurance company you are saving them money, or option 2, don't tell them shit, and have the body shop work the numbers for you. As long as the body shop gets paid, and the insurance company is content with the payout, nobody cares what parts are installed. The only issue you could have is custom work and the warranty available to you.

This is how the game is played: The body shop writes an estimate, then the insurance adjuster looks it over trying to find where they've padded it, makes an estimate himself, and goes back to the body shop with a counter offer. depending on the relationship between the two, the counter offer may be fair, or may be asking the body shop to cut some corners to save cost. This can end right there, or go back and forth a bit. But in the end there is an agreement on the estimate... The body shop will often agree to a lower initial estimate, because they know that if they find additional damage, or the reconditioned/used parts are not available or unacceptable when delivered, they simply supplement the claim for more cash....

It's a convoluted slimy game that you'd best avoid if you value your sanity... It's best to just let the body shop deal with it and not get involved....

Edit: but to answer your original question, MSRP on a stock hood is $500.

JohnnyTurbo
07-23-2012, 12:17 AM
Edit: but to answer your original question, MSRP on a stock hood is $500.Thanks, that is pretty much what I was looking for.