PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Volkswagen turbo-diesels?

Alex3000gt
09-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Specifically the Golf and Jetta tdi. 40's mpg is a pretty good selling point for a dd.

nosferatudracon
09-11-2010, 01:09 AM
They run forever and on just about anything that will burn. A budy of mine had an old one from the 80s that ran forever. Volkswagon gets a bad wrap sometimes for their gas engines...and having lived in Germany where pretty much all Volkswagons are diesels I can say that the enginering on the diesel engines is significantly better and well tested. It's also on my list of potential daily drivers....but now that BMW had reintroduced their diesel I'm considering one of them instead...

Alex3000gt
09-11-2010, 01:13 AM
Yeah I just test drove the Jetta and Golf today. That torque is a lot of fun, and the turbo aspect is definitely neat. I'm gonna sleep on it, but man it was a cool car (from a daily driving standpoint). My only disappointment, no boost gauge!?

nosferatudracon
09-11-2010, 01:42 AM
Aftermarket?

One of the guys I work with has the gas one and he says he loves it...just that he wishes he had bought the diesel instead.

FF_Knight_84
09-11-2010, 05:21 AM
By the time I'm in the market for a new commuter car the next gen cars with diesels will be out, so I will definitely test drive a Jetta TDI. I like the styling of the new cars, and the quality is getting really close to their Audi line.

Alex3000gt
09-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Aftermarket?

One of the guys I work with has the gas one and he says he loves it...just that he wishes he had bought the diesel instead.

Oo good point. I'm going to try to find some TDI volkswagen forums here in a bit.

nosferatudracon
09-11-2010, 11:42 AM
I like the styling of the new cars, and the quality is getting really close to their Audi line.

This is definitely true!!

I have had a Jetta twice as a rental car traveling for work and they have been a ton of fun to drive and were very comfortable. Highly recommend considering it given the other cars available at the same price point.

TajMan
09-11-2010, 11:54 AM
I once heard word that the TDI engine was kind of a sludge factory?
that needs verification, and even then would probably be on a higher mileage engine.

I love me a 89-94 VW Corrado (stock comes with the supercharged 4cyl G60 or the VR6 engine)... but the TDI would be my custom engine swap choice for the car, fo sho

a2j
09-11-2010, 03:11 PM
we are thinking about jetta tdi station wagon for a family car.

onebadmollafolla
09-11-2010, 03:22 PM
The TDI Jetta is badass. I would defintiely rock one as a DD. With that kind of fuel economy and reliability without having to look like Prius, you can't go wrong. :cool:

BlueStang
09-11-2010, 03:47 PM
A guy I used to work with owned an older Jetta that had the turbo diesel in it. He would always brag about how he could get close to 50 mpg with it. It was also extremly relaible from what I saw.

TT4ME
09-11-2010, 10:09 PM
I have a buddy that bought a Jetta TDI about 7 months ago (I'm not sure what year he has.) He has over 13k miles on it and has averaged over 45mpg.

I am in the market for one. Because of MPG, they hold value well. My friend firmly advises against 04-06 model years. I haven't had a good talk with him, but apparently they have a major issue that could cost thousands to fix.

Alex3000gt
09-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Welp, see my sig! Put 200 miles on the car driving to Chicago and averaged 44 mpg. 70 mph in sixth gear means 1900 rpm. I love this car!

The turbo is spooled up and ready to rock at seemingly 1600 rpm, it's a tiny little guy sitting between the motor and the firewall. I'll update this thread with pics after I hand wash the car.

MightyMouse
09-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Much like dodge diesels....excellent engine in a poorly built package. I would rock a tdi in a heartbeat if it wasn't strapped into a vw.

That said...my daily gets 40, cost me 650 to purchase, another 100 to fix (needed tires and a couple seals) , and had been stone reliable.

Alex3000gt
09-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Much like dodge diesels....excellent engine in a poorly built package. I would rock a tdi in a heartbeat if it wasn't strapped into a vw.

That said...my daily gets 40, cost me 650 to purchase, another 100 to fix (needed tires and a couple seals) , and had been stone reliable.

Haha, awesome. What do you have?