PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Rebuild

rdmelton
06-20-2012, 07:37 AM
Any recommendations on where to get a turbo rebuilt and an estimated price? It is an IPS level 1 19T (I believe it is the L wheel). It will need a new compressor wheel.

Here's the long backstory:
I purchased a brand new set of IPS level 1 19T turbos from a private seller approximately one year ago. When I purchased them they were definitely brand new and unused. I installed them last winter (still stock fuel system and boost control at the time), started up the car, drove it at wastegate pressure for a couple of trips to work to make sure it was okay. Everything seemed fine at the time. Since then, the car has been sitting in the garage and I just recently installed an LCD boost controller and fuel system (pump, lines, injectors). The boost controller was set at 20% duty cycle and I drove it for a couple of trips to work earlier this week to make sure everything was fine. It was hitting ~13 psi peak boost for those trips with no knock (I only hit boost 2 or 3 times). Everything seemed fine for a couple of days. Oil pressure was good, wideband was reading normal, etc.

On the third day, I noticed an odd howling sound under acceleration. When I got to work, I popped the hood and it seemed to be coming from the rear turbo area. A quick search led to a likely culprit of turbo failure. When I got home, I disassembled some things for inspection and found some oil in the turbo compressor side outlet piping, and some small chunks missing from the outer edge of the compressor wheel.

So, techically they did not immediately fail (during the first start up over the winter), but it occurred very shortly after I started using the boost controller. I suspect that it was a defective part or bad assembly of the turbo but can't be sure. Lack of oiling/coolant (plugged lines or passages) is also a possibility. I remove the failed turbo and reinstalled a 9B just so I could drive it to NG, and so far the turbos are okay. I know that I have no recourse since I purchased them from a private seller and it was a long time ago, so I'm just trying to figure out where to get it rebuilt and how much it will cost.

j2k4
06-20-2012, 07:45 AM
I'm a fan of Midwest Turbo Connection.

They're a site sponsor - check 'em out. :)

NOMIEZVR4
06-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Got my 13T's converted to 19T's via Midwest Turbo Connection. You wont regret it.

Sin'sVr4
06-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Same^^. Get in touch with Dan. I have 19T's and are rebuilt by MTC as well. Rebuild kits start at $49.99 and up from there. Just send them to him and they will come back perfect. I hit 551whp with these turbos so definitly they know how to build them.

Sounds like something was sucked thru your preturbo pipes if chunks are missing on your wheels.