PDA

View Full Version : AEM EMS acting weird

JohnnyTurbo
05-16-2012, 09:39 PM
I asked Ray at the ECG if he had ever heard of my situation and he said he had a similar one, but really did not know the exact cause, so I figured I'd ask here also.

I got the car in need of a tune and had it done at IPS. I'm pleased with the tune, 400 AWHP @ 14 psi and I just got between 22 to 23 MPG on a 1900 mile round trip.
The issue is that sporadically, the engine dies for a second, then goes back to running. I have had it happen 3 times in 2 minutes, a few times is has done it back to back twice, but most of the time I'll just be running down the road and it will happen once. Around town and close to home, it might not happen every time the car goes out. On this road trip we just finished, the 11 hour ride from Myrtle Beach to Cleveland, it must have happened 20 times spaced out over the drive. When it happens, the tach drops to zero, the wideband goes to ---, but the fuel pressure gauge stays at normal reading. Any ideas? The AEM box is located on the tunnel at the firewall under the plastic ducting for the HVAC. thanks in advance.

BTW, Ray did say that one time his did the drop out and did not come back to life. That played on my mind going up the hills in WV when it would hiccup.

mb3000
05-16-2012, 11:39 PM
How's it going?

Have you been logging when this hiccup occurs? Might be helpful to see what the ECU see's when this event happens.

Could possibly be the wiring to the MAP, IAT, or any of the external sensors the EMS uses in it's algorithm.

vr4tune
05-17-2012, 03:32 AM
Just a guess but I think it's a sensor going bad or bad conection! I had a SIMULAR (not exact) issue 6 months ago where it stumbled at idle and would die, and it got more sparatic till it wouldn't idle on its own ever. For me it happened to be a bad AEM map sensor. It had been bad for a real long time giving inconsistent readings and slow changing the tune till it now long worked. As far as I know the sensor could have been faulty from the beginning. After a new sensor my car has ran better than ever since being BPU.

JohnnyTurbo
05-17-2012, 08:22 PM
I went in and looked at the pin out plug to make sure everything was OK, but did not think about some of the sensors under the hood, I'll look into that in the next few days. I just got the USB to Serial adapter to use my laptop with the AEM EMS V1 and did some logging today. I have 3 files that have the skip in 2 of them. I'm reading up in the manual to see how to read and interpret the graph.

niterydr
05-17-2012, 09:28 PM
Check your sensor ground circuit. You could also re-flash the firmware and map to it, I've seen just a "refresh" of software fix stranger things.

Tigchamp
05-19-2012, 05:01 AM
Sometimes I wonder whether buying an AEM was such a good idea, I have a brand new out of the box series 2 that pin 91 didn't work, how can that be dont they test these things.
Rather than send it to the US to get repaired I just sent it to a local repairer.
You hear of people with faulty CDI's all the time, Aem have been arround for a long time now you would think that they would be able to build products that do what it say's on the tin.
Jeff

propbreaker
06-01-2012, 07:39 PM
I had a similar issue but it was not the aem it was the ignition switch was wore out. Also if you have aftermarket alarm where they tap the ignition circuit contact in switch could be burned up due to extra amp draw. Mine was due to previous owner liked heavy key ring and the wore out the tumbler leading to wearing the actual switch hit a bump or vibration just right and everything shuts off and reboots. So make sure to check it

i3igpete
06-01-2012, 08:25 PM
is that different from the cylinder you replace for the click-click-start fix?