PDA

View Full Version : Turbo in a Trashcan 1g Talon - 1st shakedown passes!

HellBringer
05-05-2012, 09:33 AM
The Carolina 3S group met up at Darlington Dragway last weekend for a little get together so I brought my Talon out for it's first shakedown passes. I bought this car a few months back as sort of a fixer-upper project car. It needed a lot of TLC to get back into shape, but it's starting to come together. It still has the weak-ass 3-bolt rear end/axles so I have never tried to launch this car for fear of grenading the rear. My initial plan was to just see what it would MPH; no intention for a good ET. :awesome:

Pertinent mods are:

DSMLink v3 -- very conservative pump gas tune: 10:9 - 11:1 at WOT with only 8-12 degrees of timing
Rebuild bottom end w/ 1G rods and 2G pistons; balance shafts eliminated
Mild ported head
FP2 cams (very mild - still stock springs/retainers)
old ass bolt-on TD05 internally gated PTE SC61 turbo
SBR FMIC
ACT 2600 (done!)
PTE 1000cc injectors
Aeromotive A340
Bad trans - grinds into 3rd

Cliff notes:

1st Pass -- Walked it out of the hole and rolled into WOT - nice and easy pass: 12.90 @ 118.8MPH w/ 2.4 60'

2nd Pass -- Easy slip from 4k RPM - bad ignition break up once I hit 3rd gear; almost aborted the run but it cleared up at the top of 3rd: 12.37 @ 120.7MPH w/ 2.1 60'

Now I've got the itch to run an 11...! :suspect:

3rd Pass -- Turned the 2 step up to 5000RPM but no anti-lag - quick slip with a slight bog - broke up bad at the top of 2nd and into 3rd gear: 11.95 @ 122.1MPH w/ 1.99 60; 7.8 @ 97.9MPH in the 1/8!

So now I'm getting brave! After some friendly 'encouragement' I decide to go for broke - I did trailer the damn thing there after all! I turned up the 2-step to 5500 and dialed in the anti-lag and lined back up.....

3th Pass -- Sat on the anti-lag for a second and then gave it a very quick slip - almost a full dump - RPM's shoot to the limiter and sit there - my first inclination is SHIT! tire spin! LOL Not so much... My clutch said OMGWTFBBQ!! :Tantrum2: I bang into 2nd with a mild bog, hit 3rd and the car brakes up a little, hit 4th and the RPM's just hover as the clutch lets go again: 11.96 @ 120.7MPH w/ 1.91 60'

Overall I'm more than pleased considering the car still needs a lot of work and is on a super safe, double-bagged tune. Despite my desire to put some timing in and lean it out, I left the tune alone all day and only touched the 2-step/anti-lag settings. Go figure, but I have driven the snot out of this car on the street and have never had any ignition issues until the track. I was running a little fatter than usual, though; usually tune for 11.2 - 11.3 so that may have been a factor. I dropped in the A340 in preparation for E85 (assuming I didn't blow it up at the track) just a few days before and didn't tweak the tune much.

Next up:

Clutch!
4-bolt rear
Fix boost leak
Rebuild trans
re-shim wastegate for more boost
1750cc injectors and E85!
Turn it UP!

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTT4qtYS3hw

:bigthumb:

UTRacerX9
05-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Brings back memories of my old Talon TSi. So freakin simple to get into the 11's and 12's with those things. Best bang for the buck car ever built IMO.

HellBringer
05-05-2012, 10:23 AM
The bang for the buck part is mostly true, especially if you buy one already modded that just needs TLC. If you buy one of these cars stockish and then have to mod it in addition to fixing all of the inherent Mitsu fuckups then it's not so cheap. The biggest advantage is weight, or lack thereof, IMO. No PS, AC, CC, and gutted behind the front seats so the car is well under 3000lbs. Even with a lazy turbo the car is so easily to launch, and launch without much 'abuse', since there's not a lot of weight to motivate. If the clutch would have held the car would have easily gone 11.6 that day - I would have put money on it! :bigthumb:

Can't wait to convert E85 and turn it UP! :icon23:

green-lantern
05-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Congrats on the nice run man :bigthumb:

Who's green 3000 is that in the beginning of the video?

HellBringer
05-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Thanks! There are two 3/s in those pics (courtesy of Vicki!). The matte black Stealth w/ matching trailer is Greg's (DrGonzo) and the green VR-4 is Scott's (don't know his forum name).

Ninja Performance
05-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Yes, that is Scott Simons VR4. Very nice guy, BONE stock VR4. Convinced him to run when he only came to spectate. Then I removed his free boost mod restrictor pill to up his boost and he ran even better. And now he is hooked ;)

-Chris

BigTyla
05-06-2012, 03:06 PM
It's scary how good these cars are for cheap horsepower. Can't wait to get mine running. My mods are about the same as yours except with a stock head and a fleabay 16G that came with the car. I think I'm mainly going to autocross mine though.

beepbeep
05-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Thanks! There are two 3/s in those pics (courtesy of Vicki!). The matte black Stealth w/ matching trailer is Greg's (DrGonzo) and the green VR-4 is Scott's (don't know his forum name).

hahahaha...i see what you did thar!!!

TurboSinceBirth
05-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Yes, that is Scott Simons VR4. Very nice guy, BONE stock VR4. Convinced him to run when he only came to spectate. Then I removed his free boost mod restrictor pill to up his boost and he ran even better. And now he is hooked ;)

-Chris

Poor guy. You just stole his wallet. :lol: Now that he has the mod bug he won't stop spending. :biggrin:

DSMs are cheap to mod and can go very quick too but like the 3S's they have quite a few worn parts to replace. I don't think the 3S is quite as bad but is sure isn't too far behind. They're not getting any younger.

AdamVR4
05-07-2012, 10:53 AM
Amazing collection of cars. Your watch looks nicer than I remember from your VR4 days :D

What's your goal for this car? Do you plan to keep it? If not, what would you sell it for?

nodoze
05-07-2012, 01:27 PM
^ lol someone wants a quick dsm i could arrange that :)

HellBringer
05-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Adam -- Plans changes daily...! LOL But as of right now I plan to keep it around to beat on at the track and on the street occasionally. The current setup is pretty lazy on re-spool, so it's honestly not that fun on the street unless you're banging gears like you mean it. E85 should help tremendously, though. I'm sure it's sub-3000lbs and it has KYB/Groundcontrols, F/R strut bars, 245/45/17 TA KDW's all the way around, 2g brakes, etc... But honestly it still handles like shit, IMO. It just feels weird when being pushed into the turns, so as it sits it's only fun in a straight line. It may need an alignment and some suspension tweaking, but I certainly wouldn't call it a good AutoX or course platform, even if it had a much smaller turbo. It needs a clutch before it can be raced again and I'm really itching to do E85 - just need to get injectors and then re-tune it. The DSMLink is great - if something was like that off the shelf for the 3/s I'd probably buy another one someday...! As it sits, I wouldn't turn down $5000 if someone was ready to do the deal. I'll eventually turn it over, but for now it's still pretty damn entertaining.