PDA

View Full Version : Help me get it running.. again

Danube_3KGT
04-30-2012, 08:52 PM
info about the car:

1996 Base DOHC 3000GT ATX

Ok, I recently got my car back from the mechanic after 2 years of it being down and I drove it for roughly 2 days. I drove it for 2 days and on the second day I went to my mothers house. While I was driving I noticed my radio wasn't coming on and my antenna wasn't raising and because my radio had some problems before I decided to pull it and check the connections. I took the radio out of the car with the car off and then tried to turn the car over. (This roughly 15-20 minutes after I arrived) I turned the key over and the car started, it idled really rough and died after about 2 seconds. I tried to turn it over again but the car wouldn't start. I let the car sit for about 30 minutes and came back and it did it again, started up, idled rough and then died after a few seconds. Tried to turn it back over and it wouldn't start. I let it sit for about 2 hours and went out and tried it again. This time the car started up and I figured I'd try to get home before it messed up again. I got about 5 miles from my moms house and the car began struggling for power. I was driving about 30 mph and was at about 3500-4000 rpms with the pedal floored and it slowly died on me. After then it wouldn't start again. I pushed it off the road and had it towed back to my house. I was told that with my car sitting for 2 years that the filter and pump might be bad from sucking up water. I changed the filter and the pump and while doing so broke the fuel line and had to replace it to. After I replaced the fuel filter, line and pump it again would turn over and start, idle rough as hell and die and then just clicks. (you can hear the starter trying) I checked the battery terminals and the they were tight but a little wore so I even replaced them and got the new ones on nice and tight. I was also told that the ECU could be bad so I pulled it and checked my capacitors for leaking and couldn't find anything at all that looked bad. I put the ECU back in and made sure the harnesses were clipped in good and tried to start the car again. The car still didn't start. After being told by multiple people, including my mechanic that it sounded like the ECU I pulled it out and gave it to the president of my local chapter. He put the ecu in his 95 and said his car started right up but appeared to idle a little low with no problems. My mechanic won't cover it because I basically paid him to put the engine and transmission back in the car and he let me know multiple times he wasn't going to stand behind the work that was done before he got it. My car is a base N/A and I've put 20,000.00 into it, 3,000.00 in the last few months. I can't afford to tow it back to the same mechanic and I like him because 9/10 cars he works on are 3000GTs and he sponsors the local club. I've replaced fuel filter, pump and lines, and checked the ECU. What else could be causing this? A few people have told me to check all the grounds but pulling and checking each ground in the car seams unreal to me. I have noticed that I can fully charge my car battery and within 30 minutes it will be dead again while in the car (took it to oriellys and the battery tested good)

PaulL
05-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Make sure the MAS is plugged in (right by the air filter). Sometimes that's one of those things that can be simply overlooked.

n2nsanity
06-03-2012, 12:22 AM
You ever figure this out? I remember discussing it in chatbox a while back