PDA

View Full Version : Austin@STM sold me a faulty AEM EMS

niterydr
04-18-2012, 04:39 PM
I have a Brand New-ish AEM EMS here. Was installed in a customers car, only to find there was a short in the AEM, so it was immediately unplugged and sent back to AEM.

The whole board was replaced inside of it, and was tested, so basically you are getting a brand new unit for less.

-$1000 shipped OBO Paypal is thebird65@aol.com

This is what started the transaction. Austin and I went back and forth and agreed upon a reasonable price. Shipping was fast and he was pretty quick on replying. Austin was even nice enough to hold the ECU for me, in thanking him for that I sent the money via paypal as a gift so they wouldn't have to eat fees. (of course now I am kicking myself for that as a refund from paypal isn't really possible) Transaction closed out the beginning of February to which Austin was again very nice in holding the AEM with a deposit and allowing me to pay the remainder 2 weeks later.

The first issue was that I received the wrong MAP sensor (requested a 3.5 BAR AEM sensor and got a 5 bar AEM sensor), but I figured there is always a chance of a mess-up in a transaction and moved on. My thought was "close enough" and I can scale the calibration to get resolution fairly close to the 3.5 Bar output.

Fast forward to April 6th when I tried to install the AEM. None of the sensors were reading correctly, and everything just seem "scrambled" with the AEM. I call AEM tech support and we discuss the box. I give them the serial number and they check history and then they tell me:

The box has been there before. Then the problem was "Sensors not working and vehicle not cranking/starting" and they received the box in the summer of 2011. "AEM couldn't duplicate the problem and did no repairs." Then the AEM tech (Bo at AEM) stated they "shipped it back as is".

Hardly the rebuilt ECU described as it was not even repaired according to AEM, and now I am having the same issue.

I do some further bench testing. As I've installed and tuned Dozen's of AEM's in the 3/s platform alone, let alone being very familiar and factory trained with the product, additional testing to expedite diagnostic on AEM's end would help me get it back quicker so I pushed on.

Come to find out the sensor ground circuit is producing 5V output (versus a ground) and thus the AEM needs to go back due to something melted/popped/shorted in the ECU. As all the sensors rely on that sensor ground circuit that would explain why the 02 voltage wasn't calibrating or reading correct (off by 5V at the pin versus display on the AEM) as well as sensors aren't working Call AEM back and get a return authorization.

I've pm'd Austin on the 6th and again on the 13th. No response either time. AEM is still diagnosing and should have a cost estimate to repair before weeks end. For anyone that has worked with AEM, they are severely understaffed and a conversation with them is a minimum 1/2 hour ordeal.

Expection: Is that STM (or Austin) will cover the cost of repair + overnight shipping back to me. I paid to have it sent overnight to AEM as well to expedite repairs.

Reasoning: As this has cost significant time investment into diagnosing everything on the vehicle as well as the AEM as well as downtime in waiting for an ECU. The ecu was misrepresented, and while used, should have been priced more appropriately if it was not recently rebuilt. The going rate for good working AEM's are 800-900 in looking at most for sale adds, and that is how this was priced.

Overall I considering this a very disappointing transaction. Hopefully, Austin, you can make this right before it escalates further.

As I am newish to this particular forum many members don't know me. I've been on 3si since 2003 with over 40 positive (100%) buyer/seller transactions and hundreds of technical posts assisting others. I also co-owned LSE Performance from 2005-2008 to where we sponsored 3si as well as portions of the 2007 NG.

Austin, please make this right. My hope is that perhaps you shipped me the wrong Series 1 AEM and that there is a good one somewhere? I understand how product condition can be confused, but not responding to pm's, as this is how we originally conducted the transaction, is not the way to continue to do business.

Best Regards,

-Josh Swanberg

Turbo Beast
04-19-2012, 08:27 AM
Josh, id call STM Motorsports. Austin has not been active on the forums lately.
Ask for him over there. I really wouldn't bet on getting a response here.

STM: CONTACT INFORMATION (http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/contact.htm)

niterydr
04-19-2012, 11:44 AM
Thank you for the contact information. I figured as the transaction was handled via PM that this would be taken care of through PM. I am still awaiting a call from AEM on cost and then I'll give Austin a jingle.

Turbo Beast
04-19-2012, 11:55 AM
I wouldn't drag the company into this, but if you've sent him pm's on the 6th and 13th, he's been active on the 14th and you haven't heard anything.
Thats kinda sketchy....
You can at least call them and ask for him or a cell phone number you can reach him on.

But i know of multiple people that done business with him and STM that are completely happy, so this is weird.
He should have at least pm'ed you back.

Zaroth
04-19-2012, 12:18 PM
You posted a complaint thread without calling him first? Austin is anything but sketchy lol. I imagine he gets a ton of PMs regularly and doesn't always feel like going through every single one of them.

Alan92RTTT
04-19-2012, 01:13 PM
If the sale was done via PM's then contact through PM's should work for discussing an issue.

niterydr
04-19-2012, 05:18 PM
Update for my sanity/tracking:

Called and left voicemail in general box for Austin to call back with pricing received from AEM, 4:16pm CST.

Austin@STM
04-20-2012, 02:45 PM
I am not sure what to say besides the facts that i know on my end. It was sent to AEM looked over and checked out to be 100% in working order by them, and sent back to us.

I just called AEM a few minutes ago to confirm this, and attached is the email i recieved from them stating that the box was infact as listed to be in warranty when repaired, and sent back in full working order prior to it being sold to you.

-Austin@STM

niterydr
04-20-2012, 05:40 PM
I am not sure what to say besides the facts that i know on my end. It was sent to AEM looked over and checked out to be 100% in working order by them, and sent back to us.

I just called AEM a few minutes ago to confirm this, and attached is the email i recieved from them stating that the box was infact as listed to be in warranty when repaired, and sent back in full working order prior to it being sold to you.

-Austin@STM

Thank you for the reply Austin.

I infact just got off the phone and AEM is shipping it back 2 day, no charge. You were the reason I was on hold! (kidding)

Not sure exactly where the disconnect is, but everything is taken care of now. I wonder if they found it was repaired in their system and that is why it is no charge. This is why I am an avid on getting both sides of the story, avoids this he said/she said.

Regarding the downtime, as I said in the pm, shit happens and I would not hold yourself or STM responsible for that.

You responding and acknowledging this issue is enough for me. I have been in this industry a longtime, many years as a shop owner, and I know what it is like to sell a product and the manufacturer not be behind what you are sellling. I am just happy it is working out, a few weeks of downtime does happen, sorry to "blow you up" on this.

Consider the dispute resolved. 2 thumbs up to STM.

niterydr
04-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Allan,

Please flag this thread as resolved and adjust title to: Faulty AEM-Resolved.

Thank you all!

KeithMac
04-22-2012, 11:43 AM
To be fair the thread title is factually correct.

Zaroth
04-22-2012, 01:23 PM
To be fair the thread title is factually correct.

He didn't say it wasn't... He asked for it to be amended to -resolved because it has been...