PDA

View Full Version : Ecoboost Mustang confirmed

BigTyla
04-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Turbocharged Mustang confirmed by Bill Ford Jr. (http://jalopnik.com/5762126/new-mustang-svo-confirmed-by-bill-ford-jr)

The old journalism saw says when you assume, you make an ass out of "u" and "me." Yet plenty of people have assumed that Ford's torrid love affair with turbocharged engines would eventually grow to include the Mustang, even though Ford itself has refrained from saying so. Thanks to one enterprising college student, we can stop assuming.

Speaking to an audience at Princeton last night, Ford chairman Bill Ford Jr. took a few questions afterward, including one from Jalopnik reader Michael, who asked if the Ecoboost engine line would reach under the Mustang's hood. Ford said yes, it would, without spilling the goods on whether it would be the 3.5-liter V6 twin-turbo (most likely) or the 2-liter four-cylinder (less so, but maybe on an entry level).

We followed up with Ford PR folks who told us they were not going to deny it if the Ford family scion said it.

This wouldn't be first time we've seen a turbocharged Mustang. In 1984, the SVO (Special Vehicle Operations) team produced the most well-known turbo'ed pony — the Mustang SVO, a 'stang that wasn't about large engine displacement. It was powered by a turbocharged four-cylinder engine with a displacement of 2.3-liters. It cranked out 175 horsepower and was adorned with a functional hood scoop and a unique two-wing design rear spoiler.

Given that GM's rumored to be moving strongly to turbos for future Camaros, America's future pony-car battles will include a hefty dose of induction force.

While we've no idea whether Ford will call this the "SVO", we feel it'll likely carry the moniker given Ford's recent love of all things retro.

Discuss.

DocWalt
04-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Awesome. Not surprised at all.

vr4tune
04-18-2012, 03:35 PM
The mustang forums say that it's a four cylinder turbo to replace the v6.

niterydr
04-18-2012, 04:09 PM
Awesome!

vroom4
04-18-2012, 04:13 PM
I demand v8 ecoboost :)

vr4tune
04-18-2012, 08:01 PM

The Shelby is a close. Turbo would be cooler.

green-lantern
04-18-2012, 08:43 PM
The mustang forums say that it's a four cylinder turbo to replace the v6.

waa waa waaaaa fail

That would be too cool...so I'm sure they won't do it.

UTRacerX9
04-18-2012, 09:38 PM
Honestly, it makes no difference to me what engine they ever put in them, it's still a Mustang. Not a car I'll ever get excited about.

BigTyla
04-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Honestly, it makes no difference to me what engine they ever put in them, it's still a Mustang. Not a car I'll ever get excited about.

Your loss. :p

Jeremy C
04-18-2012, 11:41 PM
If they replace the V6 with an ecoboost I4, then the Jalopnik meme will die... :(

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7237/originaliv.jpg

nodoze
04-19-2012, 01:39 PM
i hope they build a v6 tt mustang! and price it mid to higher twentys loaded i would buy! it would be sick

vr4tune
04-19-2012, 05:15 PM
The v6 ecoboost would compete with the v8 in performance and I don't think they want that. I think they want a fuel economy mustang (LAME) that has some go.

BigTyla
04-19-2012, 10:32 PM
The v6 ecoboost would compete with the v8 in performance and I don't think they want that. I think they want a fuel economy mustang (LAME) that has some go.

They already have that with the current V6 (31 mpg). I'd think the ecoboost 4-cyl would have to make at least 35 mpg for them to consider throwing it in the lineup if fuel economy is their number one concern.

vr4tune
04-20-2012, 01:56 AM
They already have that with the current V6 (31 mpg). I'd think the ecoboost 4-cyl would have to make at least 35 mpg for them to consider throwing it in the lineup if fuel economy is their number one concern.

Ya I understand that. I think they will be able to beat 35 mpg. My brothers 2011 5.0 gets over 25 mpg around here. And yes fuel economy is a huge priority to Ford. Also the 2014 mustang is going to be a global car. It'll be 750 lbs lighter with a independent rearend.

BigTyla
04-20-2012, 10:49 AM
I doubt they will bring the weight down that much. I would expect closer to 200 lbs of weight loss as a good first step.

It's amazing how well the new Mustangs handle with a live rear axle. It's hanging with IRS cars on road courses with ease. I can't wait to see how much of an improvement is seen with IRS when they finally make the switch.

vr4tune
04-20-2012, 07:11 PM
I agree that they probably won't get it down to 750lbs. That is what I have read in a few places. My personal opinion is that it'll be 400ish lbs less. The car is suppose to be noticably smaller to cater to the global market. They plan on using a lot of aluminum and carbon fiber. Those 3 things will help shave some serious weight. It's strange to think that this is a Mustang! I hated Mustangs as much as anyone could, but since the 2011 5.0L I have formed a new opinion. Don't get me wrong I still HATE the older Mustangs. I have learned that Mustang is only a name. To all the haters IT'S NOT THE SAME CAR ANYMORE. The car can take a corner.

IPD
04-21-2012, 03:12 PM
frankly, i don't care. most mustang die-hards don't want forced induction. they're also hopelessly attached to RWD and despise IRS.

imho, (as i've stated before) ford should seriously consider taking the fusion/focus platform & design a 2-door fastback body for it. pair it with the existing taurus SHO drivetrain (only modified for the smaller car), and price it for ~30k (or less if possible). two words:

AMERICAN SKYLINE.

BigTyla
04-21-2012, 07:10 PM
I don't really have a problem with their attachment to RWD. Sports cars in their purest form are RWD, now AWD. And I can understand their sentiments toward a forced-induction platform that would usurp the top-of-the-line V8. A lot of threads I've read on various Mustang forums seem to suggest that owners have no qualms with an SVO-type venture. I admit I'd be a little disappointed as well if the V8 was no longer the top performer.

IPD
04-22-2012, 12:28 AM
and that's precisely why i think ford should use a different platform. something already in the stable. something with IRS. let the purists keep the mustang.

only problem is...i don't know how well a focus-based awd-tt would go over with the mustang crowd. there's a potential for them to not only be faster than the mustang GT (which i wouldn't expect to take a lot for the 3.5L ecoboost)--but they could very well end up faster than the FORD GT--in the hands of a good tuning shop. and that.....wouldn't sit well with anyone at ford.

so it'll never happen. because ego and pride > sales and consumer demand.

vr4tune
04-22-2012, 01:27 AM
and that's precisely why i think ford should use a different platform. something already in the stable. something with IRS. let the purists keep the mustang.

only problem is...i don't know how well a focus-based awd-tt would go over with the mustang crowd. there's a potential for them to not only be faster than the mustang GT (which i wouldn't expect to take a lot for the 3.5L ecoboost)--but they could very well end up faster than the FORD GT--in the hands of a good tuning shop. and that.....wouldn't sit well with anyone at ford.

so it'll never happen. because ego and pride > sales and consumer demand.

You make a lot of assumptions. But I do agree some what with you. I do wish they made a sho coupe. Honestly Thad if you keep an open mind I think you might like the 50th anniversary revision.

IPD
04-22-2012, 02:18 AM
i have a great amount of respect for the 2011+ mustang gt. problem is...ford sees itself in a certain vein. it doesn't see itself competing in the evo/gt-r. segments. which is beyond stupid, imho.

R/T93
04-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Umm, the BOSS was directed exactly towards the M3. If that's not a target to aspire towards you're fucking out of your mind

IPD
04-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Umm, the BOSS was directed exactly towards the M3. If that's not a target to aspire towards you're fucking out of your mind

since when does any mustang compete with the luxury car segment?

R/T93
04-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Since the r&d team who built it said so.

IPD
04-22-2012, 02:01 PM
show me one person in the market for a bmw who seriously considered a mustang. one.

R/T93
04-22-2012, 02:46 PM
The m3 is a performance car, the boss mustang is a performance car. The boss mustang outperforms an m3.

Ford engineers planned on building a car that outperformed the m3.

Stop trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

IPD
04-22-2012, 05:54 PM
The m3 is a performance car, the boss mustang is a performance car. The boss mustang outperforms an m3.

Ford engineers planned on building a car that outperformed the m3.

Stop trying to put a square peg in a round hole.

mustang is a performance car. bentley GT is a performance car. they're not competing products.

neverenoughhp
04-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Yes ford set out to beat the m3 in performance and they did that. However, their marketing team does not think they are all of a sudden going to convert M3 owners to mustang owners. That also doesnt mean that there will not be a single person that would buy an M3 but instead will buy a mustang.

btw I am potentially one of those people.

vr4tune
04-22-2012, 06:09 PM

The mustang gt competes with the m3 and the boss smashes it.

since when does any mustang compete with the luxury car segment?

Since Ford put in real nice leather heated seats, duel climate control, Bluetooth, navigation w/ voice commands and sync by microsoft. Tell what the m3 has that the mustang doesn't.

vr4tune
04-22-2012, 06:13 PM
mustang is a performance car. bentley GT is a performance car. they're not competing products.

That's funny because my brother said their are a lot of people on the mustang forums sold their m3 for the new mustang.

vr4tune
04-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Better yet buy the new 2013 Shelby for less than a M3!

Ford's new Mustang Shelby GT is first 200-mph muscle car (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2011/11/fords-new-mustang-shelby-gt-first-200-mph-muscle-car-/1#.T5SCzxB5mK0)

IPD
04-23-2012, 12:59 AM
That's funny because my brother said their are a lot of people on the mustang forums sold their m3 for the new mustang.

maybe it's your area then. where i was living, people buy beemers because of the ego thing--not unlike how itards keep buying apple shodducts. you're 100% correct that mustang is a better value--no argument there.

either way, i really don't see ford compromising the mustang by building something awd tt v6 in a coupe.

vr4tune
04-23-2012, 01:13 AM
maybe it's your area then. where i was living, people buy beemers because of the ego thing--not unlike how itards keep buying apple shodducts. you're 100% correct that mustang is a better value--no argument there.

either way, i really don't see ford compromising the mustang by building something awd tt v6 in a coupe.

The forum is nation wide, so it's not just my area. In Germany you might be right blaw blaw BMW.

Just to make sure I understand, you dislike Ford because it dosent make the next 3000gt VR-4 ("i really don't see ford compromising the mustang by building something awd tt v6 in a coupe"

IPD
04-23-2012, 01:54 AM
The forum is nation wide, so it's not just my area. In Germany you might be right blaw blaw BMW.

Just to make sure I understand, you dislike Ford because it dosent make the next 3000gt VR-4 ("i really don't see ford compromising the mustang by building something awd tt v6 in a coupe"

i don't dislike ford--i just think they're not capitalizing on a market. and it's not a 3/s market. it's a "i want a little something more than an evo/sti" market. or have we forgotten nissan also being a long-time player in this market?

and no, i wasn't referring to germany. i was referring to middle GA. might be a race thing as well. i think i saw 2 black mustang drivers in the 4 years i was there. both chicks--and probably with bases. the only chevys and fords i see black people drive in that area were ones recycled from police duty and sporting 26" dubs.

vr4tune
04-23-2012, 08:05 AM
i don't dislike ford--i just think they're not capitalizing on a market. and it's not a 3/s market. it's a "i want a little something more than an evo/sti" market. or have we forgotten nissan also being a long-time player in this market?

and no, i wasn't referring to germany. i was referring to middle GA. might be a race thing as well. i think i saw 2 black mustang drivers in the 4 years i was there. both chicks--and probably with bases. the only chevys and fords i see black people drive in that area were ones recycled from police duty and sporting 26" dubs.

That's funny I lived in Georgia 2002-2004. Where ever you go mainly white people drive mustangs. Just look at it this way Thad, your opinions are not shared with 95% of the world. I sold cars for Honda, Subaru, and Lincoln/Mercury and I was always surprised at people's preferences. 90% of the time my customers didn't care about horsepower. They cared about size, comfort, and fuel economy.

IPD
04-23-2012, 09:48 AM
That's funny I lived in Georgia 2002-2004. Where ever you go mainly white people drive mustangs. Just look at it this way Thad, your opinions are not shared with 95% of the world. I sold cars for Honda, Subaru, and Lincoln/Mercury and I was always surprised at people's preferences. 90% of the time my customers didn't care about horsepower. They cared about size, comfort, and fuel economy.

what does that have to do with anything? it's well known that ecoboost is ford's response to higher economy standards & trying to keep power at acceptable levels. size has very little to do with anything in this segment. you can sell sports car that's barely big enough for one person--provided it has the looks that a miata DOESN'T.

i stand by the assertion that there's a market segment starved for v6 turbocharged sports cars (of either rwd or awd variety). ford could easily capitalize on either. my preference would be that they use their existing SHO drivetrain (since that r&d is sunk) and put it in a nice fastback coupe.

Boost4VR4
04-23-2012, 10:35 AM
The Taurus SHO is too big, I wouldn't drive one. It completely eclipses the size of a Mustang easily. I would much rather they go the same direction they have gone with the F-150 and stick the Ecoboost in the Mustang. The market for V6 TT sports cars is lacking and I personally think the Mustang is a much easier platform to work with than the Focus/Fusion platform. When people buy a focus, their goal is to buy an inexpensive car all around, inexpensive to maintain and fuel up. People buy Fusions to carry their family with the same intentions as the Focus. Focus owners don't want to muck around with turbos and V6s, etc. The Renault Clio is for that, and we aren't in Britain so it is unnecessary. People buy the Taurus to carry their family and provide luxury. Families don't want to muck around with a turbo car as a family car. When the Five-Hundred came out, it was just a more luxurious Taurus. The new Taurus is merely a replacement for the Five-Hundred with an optional engine. The Mustang platform is easily to scale up or down. The 3.7L V6 in the 2011+ Mustang puts down 305 hp so the Ecoboost will bring it up to around 400hp which the new 5.0 GT has currently. I think that is more appealing and will draw the younger drivers toward the platform just giving it the Twin Turbos. Fuel Economy is a big sticking point, but so is space and safety and 5 star crash ratings are much more difficult to achieve in a smaller vehicle than a larger vehicle.

IPD
04-23-2012, 12:58 PM
ford will NEVER sell a mustang with a tt v6 that has the same rated output as their beloved v8. period. maybe the same as a "previous year" v8, but not a current one--no matter how easy it would be to do.

i agree that the taurus sho is a pig. i think you're wrong about the focus. focus is a great platform. and what gives you the idea that ford doesn't sell vehicles in GB? if a vehicle sells well in europe, bringing it to the US is usually a smart investment--since it saves on redeveloping another car.

imho, the KA (or festiva/fiesta) is the best platform for i4 ecoboost performance. the focus is the best for v6 ecoboost. believe it or not, ford has a heritage with smaller, high-performance sports cars--it's just that most forget about it in light of the mustang. ever heard of the rs200?

jerrid
05-22-2012, 11:55 PM
this is a fun read, but lets not forget the focus rs 2.5 volvo I5 turbo 305hp

abomboldskool
05-23-2012, 02:48 PM
boss 302=a joke 1k per horse power and better suspension owwwwwww...for 10k more get the shelby that makes the boss look stupid. If anyone that buys a mustang had half a brain u would by a v6 or gt and drop ur own 30 more thousand into and make anything ford worked up look pathetic. Even if you paid a shop to do all the work. I know ill never like a mustang because i cant drive them because the interiors are fucking tiny with bigger and bigger shells. what do they put in that extra 5 feet of dash cause it aint hp.

IPD
05-23-2012, 03:32 PM
boss 302=a joke 1k per horse power and better suspension owwwwwww...for 10k more get the shelby that makes the boss look stupid. If anyone that buys a mustang had half a brain u would by a v6 or gt and drop ur own 30 more thousand into and make anything ford worked up look pathetic. Even if you paid a shop to do all the work. I know ill never like a mustang because i cant drive them because the interiors are fucking tiny with bigger and bigger shells. what do they put in that extra 5 feet of dash cause it aint hp.

anyone else's brain hurt after reading this?

BigTyla
05-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Yes. :p

The Boss is a great buy. It's lighter than the Shelby and outhandles it. And the current Shelby is more expensive than just 10k over the price of a Boss. Is the Boss worth the extra price over a GT? For a street car, probably not, but if I were going to be taking my Mustang to the track regularly I would seriously consider the Boss.

VR4Rob
05-23-2012, 09:44 PM
Wat. ...

nodoze
05-23-2012, 11:10 PM
dude i have a customer with a 10 stang he is three fifty and six foot tall fits in just fine, and the gtis great even in that trim , not to mention the 550 hp supercharger we put on :sunglasses:

DocWalt
11-07-2012, 01:03 PM
www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91

IPD
11-07-2012, 01:33 PM
still no proof on the v6tt. i really think they're too scared to put it out & have tuners beat the crap out of the GT with it.