PDA

View Full Version : GZP Performance Cam Gears!!!!

Emilie@GZP
04-11-2012, 07:36 PM
UPDATED: DYNO COMPARISIONS!

Sets are in stock, and ready to go!! You can click the link below to place your order :Dancing:

http://www.3swarehouse.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1065&category_id=190&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d111/3Scar/parts/IMG_8058_sm.jpg

Here's an easy way to get the power of adjustable cam gears, with the reliability of OEM gears, and take away the guess work. These OEM gears are reconfigured to the +1 and -3 degree positions that are found to be the optimal settings for adjustable camgears. Now, all you have to do is install, and forget about them. No more having to worry about the gear slipping out of time or trying to get them dialed in just right. All of the hard work is done for you.

The hole for the dowel has also been redrilled, and reduced in size ever so slighlty for a perfect fit and to get rid of the marginal degree of "slop" that you find with the dowel pin hole on the factory original cam gears and some of the other aftermarket adjustable cam gears that are out there.

This is compatible with all DOHC engine configurations. This is NOT suitable for SOHC applications. Please select the year range that applies to your vehicle. If you have any questions, please ask before placing your order.

Each set of cam gears comes with an instruction sheet, and a pre-paid return shipping label for your core cam gears. Each set of returned cam gears (qty 4) will receive a $30 refund. If you send back 2 sets, that's $60, 3 sets, $90... so on and so forth.

Dyno testing is COMPLETED!!

Dyno Tested, back to back. NO OTHER MODIFICATIONS WERE MADE TO THIS CAR.

RunFile_002.drf (GREEN LINES) Stock Cam Gears on a bone stock 91 3000GT VR-4

RunFile_007.drf (RED LINES) GZP Performance Cam Gears on a bone stock 91 3000GT VR-4

These numbers are SAE corrected, with boost pressure reading listed below dyno chart.

http://www.3swarehouse.com/images/stories/cam_gears/gzp_cam_gears.jpg

Thanks!!
Em & Hans

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d111/3Scar/parts/IMG_8059.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d111/3Scar/parts/IMG_8061.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d111/3Scar/parts/IMG_8062.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d111/3Scar/parts/IMG_8063.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d111/3Scar/parts/IMG_8064.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d111/3Scar/parts/IMG_8065.jpg

vroom4
04-11-2012, 07:47 PM
So are you buying cam gears now? Or going to wait to see how sales do?

Hans@GZP
04-11-2012, 08:26 PM
We already have 16 sets in stock and ready to go and another 6-10 sets here. We'll be buying some shortly once we're done buying them in bulk.

j2k4
04-11-2012, 08:37 PM
We already have 16 sets in stock and ready to go and another 6-10 sets here. We'll be buying some shortly once we're done buying them in bulk.

Hans - how about the quick low-down on what these will do for us in absolute numbers? :)

B-Man
04-11-2012, 08:43 PM
They definitely cause a kick in the pants around 5k on my setup. I did feel that I lost a little bottom end.

3sx claims 55ft-lbs and 57hp running 19psi with this cam setting on their lightweight adjustable cam gears. Expect a hair less gain do to still being stock weight.

Emilie@GZP
04-11-2012, 09:44 PM
When we have an opportunity, we will be doing back to back dyno tests. We will see if we can get some on an otherwise relatively stock car, as well as a modified car.

jerrid
04-11-2012, 09:58 PM
When we have an opportunity, we will be doing back to back dyno tests. We will see if we can get some on an otherwise relatively stock car, as well as a modified car.

You should test it on that blue stealth ;)

Toni
04-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Nice!!

j2k4
04-11-2012, 10:22 PM

Good as it gets, there.:)

FeaRpb
04-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Nice.

I am in for numbers. And a set if I like what I see.

Also, I will have 2 sets to mail back to you.

niterydr
04-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Glad to see these on the market, I would be curious to try a set sometime as well with back to back results.

dmandeath
04-12-2012, 12:25 PM
I will get a set but in for results first as well

stealthee
04-12-2012, 07:18 PM
Hans, let me know when you will be looking for more cam gears. I might still have a set or two sitting around.

Hans@GZP
04-12-2012, 08:30 PM
I'll put up a post once I need some :)

Turbo Beast
04-12-2012, 09:42 PM
I got a set of Jackhammer's gears, the same product only powder coated black, but these are awesome.
Like they said, no more messing around with aftermarket adjustable gears and they stay put!

I could definitely feel the difference on a nearly stock car.

Emilie@GZP
04-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Dyno testing is COMPLETED!!

Dyno Tested, back to back. NO OTHER MODIFICATIONS WERE MADE TO THIS CAR.

RunFile_002.drf (GREEN LINES) Stock Cam Gears on a bone stock 91 3000GT VR-4

RunFile_007.drf (RED LINES) GZP Performance Cam Gears on a bone stock 91 3000GT VR-4

These numbers are SAE corrected, with boost pressure reading listed below dyno chart.

http://www.3swarehouse.com/images/stories/cam_gears/gzp_cam_gears.jpg

Order yours today!!!
Once the first batch is gone, our discounted pricing goes with it!

http://www.3swarehouse.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1065&category_id=190&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

1320VR4
04-22-2012, 04:56 PM
How would these compare to bolting them onto 272/264 cams on an NA

Hans@GZP
04-22-2012, 05:02 PM
We could not speculate. Only way to know for sure is to get some back to back numbers.

TurboSinceBirth
04-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Wow, look at the area under the curve for a stock car! It's crazy how this has the opposite effect of cams and helps the low end that much. I'm sure the timing settings intensify the fact that 9bs run out of steam at higher rpms.

Emilie@GZP
04-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Plotted the peak gains
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d111/3Scar/GZP_Cam_Gears_Plot.jpg

Hans@GZP
04-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Wow, look at the area under the curve for a stock car! It's crazy how this has the opposite effect of cams and helps the low end that much. I'm sure the timing settings intensify the fact that 9bs run out of steam at higher rpms.

That's why we did low boost. 9b's can handle 7 psi to redline lol

TurboSinceBirth
04-22-2012, 05:18 PM
That's why we did low boost. 9b's can handle 7 psi to redline lol

The gains from 2k-5250 rpms is what really boggles me. That is a definite seat of the pants increase in power you can feel. When it comes time for me to install my DR Stage III heads, 272 cams, and UR cam gears I'll have to degree my cams to make sure I can get similar results. I've had my heads decked before and it did make a noticeable 1/2 tooth off setting even when I preset my gears at +1/-3, but I know for a fact they had been decked at least 3 times. I'm sure the front one that was off a 1/2 tooth was probably at the service limit. For stock head and cam cars these preset gears are a huge benefit.

FeaRpb
04-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Hey Hans, I will order my set tomorrow when I get to work. I forgot the address lol.

niterydr
04-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Good for getting gains, but why are there 5 pulls between settings? Anyway to see the entire list of pulls?

Crazy there are gains across the entire powerband!

Hans@GZP
04-22-2012, 08:09 PM
ECU crapped out after I swapped the cam gears. I can't tell you the lump I felt in my throat LOL. So, there were 2 real shitty pulls that it barely ran and then 2 where my damn button on my controller got hit twice and recorded less than a second. You can see the pulls, but there isn't anything to see.

I did 3 pulls in stock form. 1st pull I hit 19 psi and realized the vacuum hose from the Y-pipe to the boost control was missing. Next 2 runs both put out the same numbers. I just wanted to make sure they were consistent.

I only did one clean pull with the new cam gears because it's Sunday and I wanted to go home. I can do another pull or 2 tomorrow when I get in. It's still strapped down.

niterydr
04-23-2012, 10:15 AM
ECU crapped out after I swapped the cam gears. I can't tell you the lump I felt in my throat LOL. So, there were 2 real shitty pulls that it barely ran and then 2 where my damn button on my controller got hit twice and recorded less than a second. You can see the pulls, but there isn't anything to see.

I did 3 pulls in stock form. 1st pull I hit 19 psi and realized the vacuum hose from the Y-pipe to the boost control was missing. Next 2 runs both put out the same numbers. I just wanted to make sure they were consistent.

I only did one clean pull with the new cam gears because it's Sunday and I wanted to go home. I can do another pull or 2 tomorrow when I get in. It's still strapped down.

That sucks! I was just curious to see if you were mapping at different boost levels than the stock boost. Thank you for the back to back results.

FeaRpb
04-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Ordering my set as we speak.

Jimvr4
04-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Cool stuff! Not that many will care but does this have a negative impact on fuel economy?

Emilie@GZP
04-23-2012, 11:10 AM
We haven't done any gas mileage road test comparisons, so, we can't venture a guess currently. If anyone running these logs their gas mileage, if you can report back with your after-install gas mileage, please do!

I will see what we can do with these on one of our cars so we can try to get some before/after gas mileage numbers. It will be a while before we have anything regarding those numbers though.

Hans@GZP
04-23-2012, 11:31 AM
That sucks! I was just curious to see if you were mapping at different boost levels than the stock boost. Thank you for the back to back results.

It's a car we are selling, so I didn't want to start modding it. I did another pull this morning and it was less than 1 HP difference between the run yesterday... so nothing amazing to report there.

We'll install these on one of our modded twin turbos a bit later and give more numbers. They are currently getting the engines built for them now, so it may be a bit.

Hans@GZP
04-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Cool stuff! Not that many will care but does this have a negative impact on fuel economy?

I doubt you will see negative effects for highway mileage.

1320VR4
04-23-2012, 02:29 PM
We could not speculate. Only way to know for sure is to get some back to back numbers.

Well I know one way you could find out ;) ;)

Emilie@GZP
04-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Well I know one way you could find out ;) ;)

I'll PM you the shipping address for those cams ;)

AdamVR4
04-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Makes me look forward to installing my jackhammer cam gears. I've got basically stock heads (and stock cams) so I would expect similar across-the-board gains.

vTaKwiTHsLiCkS
05-23-2012, 05:13 AM
Any updates on this on a somewhat more modded car..?

niterydr
05-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Thinking out loud here, with the cam gears dropped in, are you re-syncing base timing? I wonder if the "gains across the board" are due to the base timing shift? Thought would be that the cas sensor is spun as the cams are spun to align with the new mark, this changing base timing.

I wonder what the effect would be on a 2g car?

Hans@GZP
05-23-2012, 02:24 PM
When we had done the cam gears we had the ecu crap out which was throwing a CEL for a cas. So, it was replaced only to find that the ecu was bad. I'll be getting our other stealth together within the next couple of weeks to try to get more back to back numbers. These initial numbers were done on a car we have for sale, so I really don't want to go tinkering in that thing anymore... but you do make a valid point.

FeaRpb
09-03-2012, 02:03 AM
Do you guys plan on doing anymore stock vs gzp gear dyno runs?

I can't wait to get all my stuff assembled.

thor'svr4
09-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Thinking out loud here, with the cam gears dropped in, are you re-syncing base timing? I wonder if the "gains across the board" are due to the base timing shift? Thought would be that the cas sensor is spun as the cams are spun to align with the new mark, this changing base timing.

I wonder what the effect would be on a 2g car?

+1 im really curious if niterydr was right and the cam gears are just modifying the base ignition timing. however, since the CAS sensor takes readings from the intake cam only (right?), im guessing the GZP cam gears dont just shift the ignition timing... otherwise there would be no point to the exhaust cam gear.

Hans@GZP
09-03-2012, 02:51 PM
we will do more dyno tests when the time is right. Right now we don't have a car we would run them on.

RealMcCoy
09-03-2012, 05:41 PM
+1 im really curious if niterydr was right and the cam gears are just modifying the base ignition timing. however, since the CAS sensor takes readings from the intake cam only (right?), im guessing the GZP cam gears dont just shift the ignition timing... otherwise there would be no point to the exhaust cam gear.

Installing these gears with no other change will advance the ign. timing 2 deg. on a 1st gen, and make no change at all on a 2nd gen.

Edit: Make that 91-92, and 93+... Just so I don't get dogpiled by generational correctness. :lol:

FeaRpb
09-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Hmmmm maybe I will do a before and after when my build is done. Depends how much work it would take tho.

CoopKill
09-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Wait, so no change on 2nd gen cars? I am confused...

RealMcCoy
09-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Wait, so no change on 2nd gen cars? I am confused...

Crank and cam sensors are not affected by camshaft timing... Only the CAS on a 91-92 that is driven off the intake cam is affected by changes in cam timing.

Edit: you guys do realize I was responding only on the subject of these gears having an effect on ignition timing, right..?

JasonY
09-03-2012, 08:30 PM
so cam gears have no effect on 93+ cars?

Jason

green-lantern
09-03-2012, 08:33 PM
:lol:

RealMcCoy
09-03-2012, 08:34 PM
so cam gears have no effect on 93+ cars?

Jason

No effect on ignition timing... That's all I said.

JasonY
09-03-2012, 08:38 PM
gotcha...

Jason

CoopKill
09-03-2012, 08:39 PM
10/4!

After explaining the ignition timing I was in the duh zone... Thank you...

Paul be nice! lol

green-lantern
09-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Sorry, I didn't think he understood what these did. :)

JasonY
09-03-2012, 08:51 PM
mis-read and confused myself..lol

urmagerd

Jason

RealMcCoy
09-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Sorry, I didn't think he understood what these did. :)

Now that's hilarious... :lol: I can't seriously be that invisible around here can I..?

I degreed my first camshaft in 1983...

CoopKill
09-03-2012, 09:07 PM
I think Paul was bustin on Jason, not you...

green-lantern
09-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Confusion spreads rapidly sometimes :lo5l:

JasonY
09-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Yeah, i didnt read enough before posting and moving on...lol I read about the sensors and nothing changing and was like..well yeah and over thought the whole thing...

Jason

RealMcCoy
09-03-2012, 09:21 PM
I think Paul was bustin on Jason, not you...

just muddying the water some more I guess... :D

Confusion spreads rapidly sometimes :lo5l:

So it would seem.... :D

green-lantern
09-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Yeah I'm a bit touchy about this subject anyway since it was my idea. Wayne and Justin were at my house and Wayne (jackhammer) wanted to make adjustable cam gears. I said since most people always adjust them the same then why not re-drill stock ones? Since then a lot of money has been made with them. I never saw a penny for it. It was sold to Hans later. I'm still friends with Wayne but it does chap my ass once and a while when I think of it. No hate toward anybody, especially Hans and Em. These are a great deal, if I didn't have cam gears already I would buy them.