PDA

View Full Version : Road Course Advice for Prepping 99 VR4 for Sebring

tampa99vr4
04-03-2012, 10:50 PM
I am running in a Chin Motorsports event in a few weeks at Sebring and been preparing the car and myself for the first time running a road course. Here is a list of tasks of what is done and would like any additional advice:

- Replaced/bled brake fluid, replaced with Motul 600
- Replaced front brake pads with EBC Yellows
- Already had cyrotreated crossdrilled/slotted rotors and stainless brake lines
- Drained radiator, added and burped Water Wetter/Distilled water
- Changed out tranny fluid with Redline MT-85
- Fresh 5w-40 Eneos syn oil (already have upgraded oil cooler)
- Hankook v12 tires 275/35/18 on Volk TE-37 (about 5K miles on tires)
- Take everything loose out of car (subwoofer, spare tire, etc)

Stuff to bring to track:
- Hero cam
- SA2010 Open face helmet
- Pop up tent (not sure if I'll get a covered paddock)
- Jack and jack stands
- Infrared thermometer
- Cooler with snacks/drinks
- Spare fluids for tranny, radiator, brakes
- Spare tools bag
- Tire pressure checker

Prep work: Play Forza 2 on xbox360 with 97 gto on full sebring track :D
Watch youtube vids of other drivers running sebring

Couple of questions:
- Suggestions on keeping head cool in the helmet? Its Florida, its hot, and it gets sweaty. Hate the idea of stinking up a new helmet.

- What tire pressures should I run?

- I have Tein flex. Do I need to be concerned with changing camber, or do that next trip after getting some track time down?

Thanks in advance and appreciate any other tips to ensure I have a good time!

anyonebutme
04-03-2012, 11:16 PM
chin is a good group to run with, good instructors.

keep and eye on temps, lower the boost down if you can, what is knock free on the street may not be heatsoaked on the track.

Bring at least a 24 case of water and big cooler. Drink it. Bring a full lunch with you, track concessions are usually PACKED during lunch break.

wear a balaclava, soaks up sweat and keeps helmet cleaner. the expensive ones are cooler than the cheap ones...

bring a spare set of front pads, and rotors. if nothing else but to make it home if you frag a rotor or kill the pads.

if you can swing an alignment before and after, shoot for as much camber up front as you can get out of your setup, especially if you are lowered much. Shoot for -2.5 to -3 degrees up front and -1 to -1.5 in rear, no that's not a typo, 0 toe is a good place to start. If it's your first track day, don't worry about it.

shoot for say 35-40 psi hot, so start at 34 front, 32 rear cold and check after session. Again, not really important on first track day. Adjust for feel.

#1 thing: check your ego at the door please. don't go there with the aim to impress people or break records (you'll do neither, trust me, and that's not a bad thing), just have fun and listen to the instructor. BE SMOOTH. Oh, and did I mention HAVE FUN?

Don't end up in one of my instructor horror stories, lol.

R/T93
04-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Check your water temp gauge once a lap (on the straight), just a quick glance. If it moved more than 3 ticks hotter than the previous lap put it in 6th gear and do a cooldown lap and coast into the pits.
Do the same thing for the brakes on the cooldown lap after the checkered flag, put it in 5th or 6th and lug the car around the track, try not to use the brakes at all, its ok if you are going slow, everyone else is, too.
Drinking water is good. You will drink a gallon and pee during every single break. Its important if you want to be able to move your neck on the drive home, lol.

Take it easy the first few laps, get to know the course. You are going to be on the track a lot, you dont have to learn it all at once.

Inspect your brakes after every session, like Chris said, stock sized rotors can crack, no matter the brand. Small surface stress fractures are fine. In fact you will most likely get them, they are not an issue.

i3igpete
04-04-2012, 10:09 AM
bring a spare set of pads and rotors.

that^

One time I completely killed two sets of EBC red's in a single day. One set I ran down to the plate, and the pieces around the edge were chunking off, the other set a pad BROKE OFF the backing plate. never running EBC again.

I fragged a front rotor and was super happy that I brought a spare with me... turns out I brought a rear by accident. :mad:

tampa99vr4
04-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys...great advice! I do have aftermarket gauges (Greddy boost p/w/h, egt p/w/h, oil pressure, water temp, fuel pressure, wideband) and am familiar with where the needles should be, so will keep an eye on those. Since it is my first time, plan to take it easy and monitor the brakes carefully. Also, am trailering the car to the track so if anything goes severely wrong I'll just load her back up and take her home. Didn't think about spare rotors or an extra set of pads.

What about clothing? Because of heat, was going to wear some light dockers khaki pants and a light cotton long sleeve shirt. Also, picked up some batting gloves so my hands don't get sweaty on the steering wheel. They are leather palms and mesh backs, so should stay pretty cool.

Also, do any of you use one of those wide rear mirrors to see other cars around you?

Jimvr4
04-04-2012, 01:10 PM
IDK about EBC pads. I used Porterfield R4S and they worked great on a two day event. Edges turned a little white but they held up. Pic is from my 91 VR4 taken in 2000:
http://jns.jimnshar.com/0cb80a90.jpg

Erron Spalsbury
04-04-2012, 02:37 PM
All great advice here. ^^^

Get a good nights sleep. Don't go out drinking the night before. Stretch like you would before any active sport it, especially the neck muscles. Try to avoid caffeine an hour before you go out, you'll heart rate will be significantly elevated anyway no need to add to it. (plus it makes you jumpy and not smooth)

Yes, take your time and learn the car and the track. Most of all, have fun. If the car gets too hot or the brakes or tires don't perform, just pull it back a notch. Have fun and enjoy the experience, don't try to be the fastest, just try to the be the one having the most fun.

Don't set the e-brake right when you get back from being on track. Pit on a flat spot with a couple of rocks to keep the car from rolling away. Setting an ebrake on hot rotors is not a good idea on the wee-little drums in back.

a2j
04-04-2012, 02:55 PM
bring support vehicle with trailer? :)

anyonebutme
04-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys...great advice! I do have aftermarket gauges (Greddy boost p/w/h, egt p/w/h, oil pressure, water temp, fuel pressure, wideband) and am familiar with where the needles should be, so will keep an eye on those. Since it is my first time, plan to take it easy and monitor the brakes carefully. Also, am trailering the car to the track so if anything goes severely wrong I'll just load her back up and take her home. Didn't think about spare rotors or an extra set of pads.

What about clothing? Because of heat, was going to wear some light dockers khaki pants and a light cotton long sleeve shirt. Also, picked up some batting gloves so my hands don't get sweaty on the steering wheel. They are leather palms and mesh backs, so should stay pretty cool.

Also, do any of you use one of those wide rear mirrors to see other cars around you?

Don't wear anything containing polyester...

CoopKill
04-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Take me with you!

i3igpete
04-05-2012, 04:37 PM
clothing: bring a pair of XXXL sweatpants (if you can find zubaz*, go for it) and a XXL long sleeve t shirt. That way you can walk around the paddock in gym shorts and normal t-shirt and pull on your track clothes over, right before you go.

http://laist.com/attachments/la_tim/zubaz.jpg

lat42MS
05-03-2012, 12:10 AM
There's some great info in this thread!
(Sorry for the hijack, I have a quick related question and didn't want to open a whole new thread)
At the 3sNG road course event, do you guys run water wetter and distilled water, or an antifreeze mix? I was planning on filling it back up with WW but not sure.

anyonebutme
05-03-2012, 12:49 AM
There's some great info in this thread!
(Sorry for the hijack, I have a quick related question and didn't want to open a whole new thread)
At the 3sNG road course event, do you guys run water wetter and distilled water, or an antifreeze mix? I was planning on filling it back up with WW but not sure.

I personally would like everyone to run straight water, but there is no rule saying you have to. It's just not appropriate to force people to change their coolant for a single track day. However, it would be appreciated by the people following you if you happen to overheat or blow a hose that it's water and not glycol.

mehrshadvr4
05-03-2012, 02:28 AM
put a much bigger oil cooler.

R/T93
05-03-2012, 05:16 AM
Stock oil cooler and glycol for me :D

From the phone.