PDA

View Full Version : Parking Lights/Dash Lights Schematic Needed

ictponder
09-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Does anyone have a wiring schematic for the 15amp circuit that controls the parking lights & dash lights?

My turn signals & brake lights work, but whenever I turn the headlight switch it will pop the fuse for the parking lights/dash lights. I pulled the bulbs from the parking lights and I'm getting continuity on all 3 wires, which doesn't sound right to me. When I pull all bulbs ie: parking lights, turn signals, license plate it will still pop the fuse once I turn on the switch.

I can't drive my car if it's dark and it's really annoying. This all happened after a heavy rain and I was detoured down a road and water flowed over the hood of the car.

Monster Stealth
09-19-2010, 01:19 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/168836/3smanual.zip

Should be in "3s_lighting_circuit.pdf"

ictponder
09-19-2010, 04:32 PM
How would I go about finding a connector listed in the schematic like the one highlighted C-69? Is there a reference sheet that lists locations of connectors and relays for these schematics?

I found the problem to be a short somewhere after the fuse. All of my sockets are testing positive for continuity with ground, which means there is a bad connector or relay but I'd like to unplug the back half of the car and start there. So far all the visible wires look fine. I could start cutting all the G-W (Green/White) wires but I'd rather not.

I need to find the highlighted connector, or any other connector/relay listed.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/ictponder/schematic.jpg

stealthee
09-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Swap the relay out with the horn relay. I've seen it happen numerous times where the relay gets stuck and will cause exactly what you have happening.

ictponder
09-19-2010, 07:47 PM
Already tried that a couple weeks ago. I tested both relays with a multimeter and both were functioning normally.

RealMcCoy
09-19-2010, 08:23 PM
C-69 plugs into the front side of the junction block under the dash. It's on page 52 of the electrical manual, in the configuration diagrams section.

When I'm trying to locate a dead short like that, I replace the fuse or relay(whichever has best access) with jumper wires and an incandescent headlamp. Then start pulling connections in the system until the light goes out. You can narrow it down pretty quickly that way.

ictponder
09-20-2010, 12:38 AM
C-69 plugs into the front side of the junction block under the dash. It's on page 52 of the electrical manual, in the configuration diagrams section.

When I'm trying to locate a dead short like that, I replace the fuse or relay(whichever has best access) with jumper wires and an incandescent headlamp. Then start pulling connections in the system until the light goes out. You can narrow it down pretty quickly that way.

Very nice TY As of right now it's pulling more than 10amps, which is the highest my meter will go. A regular bulb will work?

Also, is the Electrical Manual inside the zip file that was linked? I don't see it in there if it is!

RealMcCoy
09-20-2010, 12:52 AM
A light bulb will limit the current... I use an incandescent headlamp because it draws a couple amps, so I know for sure if I find it, but it won't damage the circuit.

You can download all the factory manuals at 3SX, you're looking for vol. 2 electrical.

http://www.3sx.com/faq/manuals/

ictponder
09-21-2010, 12:41 AM
Well, I've kinda narrowed it down to the front driver side signal light. If I isolate that light from the vehicle (disconnect from engine fuse box) the 15amp tail light fuse doesn't pop when I turn on the parking lights. However my tail lights and dash lights still don't work. I've checked all the other fuses. I really hope I didn't burn up something in cabin fuse panel. As it is I am going to have to unwrap the entire wire harness in the engine compartment from the fuse box to the driver side turn signal and find the short.

Those schematics have been really helpful.

ictponder
10-09-2010, 03:21 PM
So now my blinkers quit. I found part# MB627893 online referenced as a blinker module. These cars don't have a simple blinker relay? Also anyone know where this module is located? I'm going to look in the schematics but I'm at work right now and don't have them.

RealMcCoy
10-09-2010, 03:35 PM
It's under the driver side kick panel

stealthee
10-09-2010, 03:36 PM
The blinker module is the blinker relay. Every car has one, not just 3s's. If I remember right the blinker module is behind the carpet beside where your left foot sits. It sits on a brakcet that is bolted to the body.

ictponder
10-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks...i was looking under the dash. You think the module could have a short, causing my tail lights not to work as well?

This is all I see behind there, a simple relay. Is it further down, back, forward? I'm looking but not seeing anything. Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm getting really irritated with this car.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/ictponder/1009001544.jpg

stealthee
10-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Honestly, it is possible. Only way to find out is to swap it.

And I don't blame you for looking under the dash. Thats where they normally are, around the fuse box area. I would have looked there if I didn't already know where it was.

Make sure you get the 3000GT one. The Stealth RT has a different style blinker because of only having 2 bulbs.

ictponder
10-09-2010, 04:07 PM
I called NAPA and they said what I have is the hazard relay, which is different than the blinker relay. However, I'm only seeing one relay. I'm gonna go buy a replacement for what I have here and see if it does anything.

stealthee
10-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Hmmm. Well hope it works out.

ictponder
10-11-2010, 01:18 AM
Replaced it with a cheap relay from Auto Zone and the blinkers now work until I get a new relay from Mitsubishi. Now all I have to fix are my parking lights.

Side note: NAPA referenced the part over the phone and even asked me which of the two I needed as they had 2 in stock. When I got there to pick it up the idiot at the counter had no idea what it was and could not even find a blinker relay in his computer for my car. He said it must be a dealer part only so I told him I will never be doing business there again and left. Obviously there was more said than that but you get the idea. I was already irritated about my car and this fat fucking retard put me over the edge.

ictponder
01-04-2011, 10:01 AM
So I kinda made some progress. I can get both front parking lights to turn on. I need to know what this harness [pictured below] controls and how it could be shorting out the whole parking lamp circuit. If I connect this circuit it shorts out the fuse when I turn the switch on. I'm going to look at the schematics for this but figured I'd post it as well.

This harness isn't actually part of the fuse junction but attached to the side of it.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/ictponder/junctionbox.jpg

GTOJOE
01-04-2011, 08:51 PM
I had a very similar problem about 3 years ago. On a long road trip the car was running fine then about 1000kms inot the trip it was getting dark so I turned by headlights on but got no dahs lights or anything else. Headlights fine but no park lights and no tail lights. The fuse would blow instantly. I worked out the problem was under the dash/near the kick panel as I could get it to work for a few seconds to a min if I wiggled all the wires etc then it would blow the fuse again. I figured 2 wires had rubbed through to the body and shorted so when it moved it pulled away from the bodywork then over time it would settle back and short again.
I pulled the entire dash out and inspected everything and could not find a fault. Put it all back together and it has been fine ever since.

ictponder
01-05-2011, 07:54 PM
I have started pulling every wire harness in the dash without removing it completely while testing the fuse holder in the engine bay for current draw and so far not one harness has been the culprit. I DO know the wire that is causing the fuse to blow, however, I do not know where exactly this wire goes inside the vehicle other than somewhere to the dash or anywhere after the dash. As it stands right now I can use all my parking lights if I pull the shorted wire explained in the images below out of the harness. However, if I pull that wire I do not have dash lights or turn signals.

The wire is a green/white wire in pin 8 on connector D.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/ictponder/Junction-Block-Front-Back.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k241/ictponder/Junction-Block.jpg

ictponder
01-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Not sure how it happened but it works and I don't care why. Finally after almost a year I can drive at night.

I was unplugging every connector under the dash while testing for load on the taillight circuit. I ran out of plugs to pull and remembered there is a module under the center arm rest compartment. I pulled the carpet side thing off the passenger side and unplugged a single wire plug (neutral safety maybe?) and the bigger harness that goes to the module. The load went away at the fuse box (only pulling 4amps) so I decided to plug them back in and see what happened. It worked after that.

ictponder
01-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Well I spoke too soon. I took my car outside today with the parking lights on and it was fine, I came back a few minutes later and the circuit had shorted again. So I'm back to looking for this f'ing gremlin again.

Does anyone know what page in volume 2 of the service manual has the schematic for the actual light switch attached to the steering column? I need to figure out how the switch interfaces with the taillight relay in the engine compartment. I am still getting a direct short on one side of the 15A fuse but I don't know if it's the bulb side or the switch side because both of them go into the same wire loom.

stealthee
01-11-2011, 08:29 PM
I don't know if you looked into it, but the auto lamp relay can cause weird issues. Its located behind the drivers side speaker panel.

ictponder
01-12-2011, 08:21 AM
The rear speaker or front tweeter?

stealthee
01-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Rear speaker.