PDA

View Full Version : AWD Where's this seal go? Did I mess up? (resealed my 6speed after ring/pinion swap)

deathsled
01-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Ok so last night I sealed up my transmission as I put the clutch housing section back on to finish up the jdm final drive swap I did.

I let everything sit over night for the sealant to cure and I was just out there making sure all the bolts were torqued down properly and I noticed this seal hanging out on the output shaft.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j171/deathsled/IMAG0450.jpg

I swear that seal (top finger is pointing to it) was inside the hole that my bottom finger is pointing to as I was cleaning things up, but it only fits on the narrower part of the shaft. There's no way the thicker part could fit inside it. I think I knocked it out of the hole while reassembling.

Was that seal supposed to be in that hole? That's the output shaft seal isn't it?

What have I done wrong here? Is that outer/lower part around the output shaft not supposed to be there?

anyonebutme
01-21-2012, 05:08 PM
lol, there's not supposed to be 2 splined shafts sticking out that hole. The thicker one (forgot the name) was installed upside down.

deathsled
01-21-2012, 05:20 PM
god damnit I had a feeling that's what I did wrong....that's what happens when you leave things apart too long lol

deathsled
01-21-2012, 06:16 PM
annnd I'm fixed. Luckily the sealant hadn't fully cured yet.

This actually leads me to another question because I'm not sure I liked the job the sealant was doing. It might just be that it hadn't set up well enough.

What's something I can get locally from an auto parts store that will be good to reseal the casing with? I used permatex ultra black. Is that adequate or is that not going to work well? Am I better off with the oem mitsu stuff?

**edit**

a little google-fu and some reading on the other site says ultra black will be just fine lol. I think I'll use a tad more and just let it cure longer. Mine wasn't fully set up yet which made disassembling pretty easy.

DrGonzo
01-21-2012, 09:28 PM
See... maybe next time you won't procrastinate on your projects!!! LMAO

MR2
01-21-2012, 10:28 PM
hahahahahaha

thankyou for the laugh :p

Ninja Performance
01-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Permatex Ultra Black works like a champ.

-Chris

green-lantern
01-22-2012, 03:05 PM
Permatex Ultra Black works like a champ.

-Chris

Yep, good stuff

Oh, and LOL @ Steven :D

green-lantern
01-22-2012, 03:07 PM
BTW, I would replace that output shaft seal. I guarantee that seal will leak now. If anything fill it on the bench before you install the trans.