PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain Can't get into gear!

Jenkins
12-31-2011, 10:01 PM
A couple days ago I noticed my clutch engagement was a little lower than usual. I thought nothing of it sense I had adjusted the pedal a few months ago. Well the next day the engagement was lower, and the next day lower, and the next day it was right off the floor. Three days after the initial change I couldn't get into gear, so I adjusted the rod at the top of the clutch pedal to release higher. This worked at first but the release height was getting low again.

I pumped the clutch a few times when I would first start the car or when I was at a light, because I noticed the engagement would begin low and gradually get higher the more I used the clutch. Well tonight the car won't even let me in gear. The pedal feels soft up until its right off the floor. If I try and force the shifter into first while holding down the clutch the car try's to roll forward without me letting off the clutch.

So what do I need to do?? I have a trip that I was really looking forward to, and if this can be fixed I would love to take care of it. Otherwise I guess I'll be cancelling.

stealthknight619
12-31-2011, 10:18 PM
Sounds like the clutch slave cylinder is bad. Same happen to my stealth last month. Very easy to replace and the slave was only $30 or so from the parts store. Gods luck!

Sent from my photon w Sprint

Jenkins
12-31-2011, 10:30 PM
Is there a way to test this?

stealthknight619
12-31-2011, 10:58 PM
Check to see if the slave is leaking. Remove the battery, intake and windshield reservoir to get to it. Also look at the clutch reservoir fluid level

Jenkins
01-01-2012, 03:34 PM
I checked the reservoir and the fluid was below the low line, and very dirty. I removed the necessary parts and saw that the slave is in fact leaking. Is this a part that I need to snag form the dealer? Or can I get one for pepboys.

stealthknight619
01-01-2012, 04:08 PM
I got mine from O'Reilly Auto Parts. Make sure u take your old slave w you and the give you the one u need. Sane shape and rod length i think i laud $30 or so

Jenkins
01-01-2012, 11:24 PM
I got it swapped out, thanks for the help!:Clap: