PDA

View Full Version : Tablet

Roybatty
12-27-2011, 10:57 PM
ASUS 16GB Eee Pad Transformer Tablet TF101-A1 B&H Photo Video (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761716-REG/ASUS_TF101_A1_16GB_Eee_Pad_Transformer.html)

Should I get this for wife? She will predominantly
B doing ms office type stuff, web research & interested in portability(finishing phd program in foreign languages;Deutsche). Looking 4 best bang 4 $. Thanks
Sent from garage

Jeremy C
12-27-2011, 11:12 PM
The only issue I see is that the Transformer has been replaced already with the Transformer Prime, which is a MUCH better piece of hardware. If you don't mind slightly outdated tech, then by all means that right there is a great tablet.

Roybatty
12-28-2011, 08:21 AM
The only issue I see is that the Transformer has been replaced already with the Transformer Prime, which is a MUCH better piece of hardware. If you don't mind slightly outdated tech, then by all means that right there is a great tablet.

Considered this, but for what she will be using it for...almost seems like a waste. Shes had a droid X for almost a year and doesn't seem to use it to its potential.

I will compare prices and see; if its marginal it makes sense to have the latest...

zapman2000
12-28-2011, 08:36 AM
FYI most people I talk to say tablets don't do MS Excel very well if at all
If she uses Excel

HTC EVO 4G

Roybatty
12-28-2011, 10:42 AM
She only does simple stuff on spreadsheets; adding up grades.

I went for it. The Prime has a 2 to 4 week lead time, and she is looking for something very soon.

IPD
12-28-2011, 11:23 AM
does kindle fire do that stuff? i've heard that it's awesome for only being $200.

stealthify
12-28-2011, 12:58 PM
does kindle fire do that stuff? i've heard that it's awesome for only being $200.

I'm with Thadd.

A relative of mine ended up receiving a Kindle Fire this Christmas and I'm thoroughly impressed with it for the price. While setting it up for him, I found it to be extremely easy to plug into his Exchange server at work, his personal emails, NetFlix, web browsing, etc. I've yet to find anything it can't do reasonable well.

Roybatty
12-29-2011, 02:23 PM
Considered the kindle fire, I had a gut feeling it would be tied into Amazon too much. There was some annual service that you needed to join to get the most out of it.

Transformer should be in today. Hopefully setup and usage will all go well.

IPD
12-29-2011, 02:25 PM
Considered the kindle fire, I had a gut feeling it would be tied into Amazon too much. There was some annual service that you needed to join to get the most out of it.

Transformer should be in today. Hopefully setup and usage will all go well.

even IF that was required, how many years would you be paying for that service before you equalized the extra $150 for a different tablet?

Maximal
12-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Co-worker has the transformer and loves it. My mom got a Kindle Fire for Christmas and it is pretty nice (especially for the price) but it doesn't have a lot of the true tablet functionality. You made a good choice...